Flat earth vs round earth
Seismology also demonstrates the Earth is a globe:
- Predictions are made on the basis of certain 'assumptions', one of them being the Earth is a globe.
- Predictions would fail consistently if the Earth were not a globe.
- Predictions do not fail constantly.
Ergo the Earth is a globe!
Seismic waves demonstrate the Earth is a globe:
- Primary compression waves travel at certain speeds in solid and liquid.
- Secondary sheer waves travel at certain speeds in solid but not liquid.
- Monitoring stations positioned all around the Earth pick up shock waves at expected intervals after a seismic event.
Ergo the Earth is a globe!
Tectonic plates demonstrate the Earth is a globe:
- We have mapped all of the plates on Earth and can measure their movements to the millimetre.
- They all touch another plate on all of their 'sides'.
- We can predict the movements of the plates based on how solid objects move over the liquid surface of a globe.
- The plates move just as the predictions predict.
Ergo the Earth is a globe.
Now im back to thinking this is a troll. Well played kiros and navy.
Of course he is a Troll!
Is The Earth Really Flat?
“It wouldn’t be fair to just assume the Earth is round or that the Earth is flat without taking a look at the evidence.”
“There is a whole belief system in place that covers every aspect of a flat Earth.”
Evidence or beliefs .... hmm, which should I choose?
I just got some exclusive footage of Kairos having a conversation with JWs, trying to bring up the flat Earth issue. Not surprisingly, the JWs are unable to make any scientific points to counter Kairos' arguments. But the JWs do admit that JWs are conspiracy theorists, so to speak. lol.
Spot the International Space Station (NASA)
Watch the International Space Station pass overhead from several thousand worldwide locations. It is the third brightest object in the sky and easy to spot if you know when to look up.
Visible to the naked eye, it looks like a fast-moving plane only much higher and traveling thousands of miles an hour faster!
Explore and find sighting opportunities. Learn how to spot the station and more.
I'm so surprised this conversation is still going on. There are some really interesting posts
Jrjw: I'm so surprised this conversation is still going on.
I actually stayed away from this thread for the last 16 pages or so because it just got so ridiculously stupid it wasn't even funny.
Also, I noticed that the Flat-Earthers never addressed my questions or comments or any serious ones posted by others. That just proved to me they really aren't interested in examining their own beliefs and the science that refutes it. They just want to be difficult and make assertions without providing any evidence.
"Do the research," they say, ignoring the obvious fact that most of us have and that's why we think the notion of a flat earth is absurdly ridiculous. Here are a few of my posts which were all, AFAIK, routinely ignored by the FE crowd:
- How patient should we be with newbies?
- The irony of using technology to "refute" science
- Cartography: what maps do and do not accurately represent
- What anyone can learn from a month of lunar observation
- A challenge to Flat-Earthers: Explain these phenomena with your worldview
At any rate, when I saw the NASA post in my Twitter feed about how to spot the International Space Station I thought it relevant.
Jp - i'm using that with my brother coz he doesn't believe the space station, other planets or satellites really exist. Its so ridiculous coz I've seen satellites through my telescope and planets. He doesn't believe it though. It's like talking to a brick wall trying to talk to him about it
anyone know of a good site to map the path of sattellites, multiples at a time? i found a bunch of iss trackers and some limited individual trackers that werent very goid but im trying to get them mapped on the same map. no particular satellites, i know there are a bunch, just trying to get a feel for things if anyone is familiar with a good site.