Flat earth vs round earth

by Jrjw 315 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    My suggestion to you is to prove it to yourself, one way or another. Do experiments that prove it. - MrRoboto
    Really?

The exact size, shape, mass and age of the planet is known beyond all doubt. These facts were arrived at by the combined work of many scientists from multiple specialities over many decades.

You have confused healthy skepticism with cynicism.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Is your brother breathing valuable air from the planet's (round or flat) atmosphere?

If so, do me a favour.

• VW.org
    VW.org

Flat earth equals flat head. Handy. A place to put ya beer when you put it down. Say, hey bro, come over here and kneel down.

Then while he is kneeling down with your beer on his head ask him about why he believes in a flat earth while you roll a cigarette.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    MrRoboto: Why is there absolutely no way to measure any of the various motions of the earth from the surface

Your ignorance is stunning.

Smart people—and there have been a lot of them—have been trying to understand these things for as long as there have been people. Some of their ideas were later proven inaccurate of even completely wrong, but many were right … A LONG TIME AGO!

For example, Eratosthenes was a Greek scientist who studied astronomy, geography, and math. He is famous for making the first good measurement of the size of the Earth and he did this sometime around 240 B.C. He was able to do this because he knew the earth is a sphere.

Fast forward to the likes of Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler and Newton and you'll find that, by using a scientific approach to learning about things, they were able to determine the nature of and take measurements about the very kinds of motion you claim no one understands. This is simply not true. Many of us understand it.

And I won't even begin to touch your incoherent reference to Einstein. I suspect you have no understanding at all about his theories of relative motion. It's okay, most people don't. But be clear: He understood that the earth moves and its motion is measurable.

Get a good, basic book on astronomy and educate yourself. You'll be glad you did.

Here's a very simple introduction:

When you're done with that, maybe you'll be ready to take Newtonian mechanics. After you THOROUGHLY understand that, then maybe—just maybe—you'll be ready for Einstein.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Funny.

Someone "DISLIKED" my post, apparently because I introduced FACTS, HISTORY and SCIENCE into the discussion.

My bad! ...

• kairos
    kairos

Many of us as exJWs have had our world view completely shattered.
    We now see reality. It took extensive research in many cases to let go of our indoctrination. Sometimes reading for 8 hours a day... for years.

When you give yourself permission to research any topic, it's amazing what you will discover. Make your own observations. Find the curve...

Another red pill moment is before us all.
    ( but don't take my word for it )

• kairos
    kairos

Genesis has some verses you may not have noticed until today:

1:6-8, 14-18. KJV
    What is the firmament?

We used to believe the Bible, didn't we?
    Some still do...

• cofty
    cofty
    give yourself permission to research any topic - kairos

"Researching" flat-earth consists of reading millions of scientific works full of objective data verus watching idiots on YouTube.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

The flat earth conspiracy is quite a fascinating subject. It's very much how deep the rabbit hole goes when it comes to researching this subject.

• cofty
    cofty

The Psychology of Conspiracy Theories: Why Do People Believe Them? By John M. Grohol, Psy.D.

… personality traits such as openness to experience, distrust, low agreeability, and Machiavellianism are associated with conspiracy belief...people with stronger conspiracy beliefs are more likely to ...have lower levels of analytic thinking...recent research demonstrating that individual narcissism, or a grandiose idea of the self, is positively related to belief in conspiracy theories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit