Was this right? Cedars threatens, what say you?

by Hadriel 177 Replies latest members adult

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

When I first read this thread i was really angry.

CoC is the unholy grail of apostate books in the eyes of a JW who is still in. There was no way my conscience would let me go out and actually buy the book, providing money to the author, which would support his cause.

Because i found it gratis, on a PDF, I was able to read it and it helped me organize my thoughts and give words to my uneasy feelings toward the organization. If it hadn't been for the free pdf I would've never read the book.

Because I read the PDF I was then motivated to buy the book in another language to help my wife.

There is no reason that there shouldn't be a free, official PDF version on the web for lurking JWs who don't have the courage to buy the book.

In the end it's always about the money and I'm sure you wouldn't be concerning yourself with this issue if you didn't stand to make a chunk of it. That being said, piracy is illegal so do what you have to do.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thankx talesin as I do have a lot of admiration for his energy and ability to mobilize together with his marvelous write ups re new info re the wts

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

You are not the copyright holder right? So why should cedars (for whom i have absolutely no love at all) even bother to dignify you with any sort of response?

So unless you have any sway in this at all and have strings to actually pull i'm not surprised you got short shrift out of him.

Others have ably stated that if this "isnt abut the money" then why does if whiff so strongly of being all about the money?

if this is to protect rays work, then no edits at all are to allowed, none, zip nada. The target readership are intelligent enough to work out what year it is now and what year the book was last revised, they dont really need to be spoon fed dates like you think they do.

This is a waste of time and effort really. For all parties involved including rays legacy and honour it should be released digitally (it should have been done years ago) for a very modest fee via the official website. Either that or into the public domain.

As said already by others you cant stop piracy and for a small endeavour like this it is pointless to try, if it was available cheaply and officially high enough in search results when searching for it the damage would be offset somewhat. An official digital release for $5 would see reasonable uptake, a $30 book would struggle. Times have moved on.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I'm a 100% with

TheGirlNextDoor

konceptual99

Village idiot

balter447

ElderNewton

Paul from Cleveland

OtwO

Bonsai and

WmF

OtwO sums this up perfectly by writing "CoC is no ordinary book and it is a complete lifesaver" same from Bonsai, there should have been and there should be now available free PDF's from as long ago as it was possible of this book, TheGirlNextDoor asks "how long will it be before legitimate hard copies are made available to the general public again?" I bet we will still be asking the same question this time next year which is completely unacceptable this day and age.

I'm glad the correspondence is not being made available on this forum, the initial agenda filled feuds made the work of exjw activism and embarrassing pathetic mess, shameful in fact,I always ask and wonder how it appears to active jw's lurking for the first time? lets hope the parties initiating the feuds have moved on.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

hmmm ....there's a whiff of only rich people are entitled to make money here - Ray and Cynthia's legacy is up for graps - shame on you

cedars - you have an opportunity to work with ray and cynthia's legacy and all you can do moan

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

excuse me jookbeard - where have we heard this before - the wts no less - once again big boys like cedars are allowed to fight and anything bad they say must be kept quiet

the initial agenda filled feuds made the work of exjw activism and embarrassing pathetic mess, shameful in fact,I always ask and wonder how it appears to active jw's lurking for the first time? lets hope the parties initiating the feuds have moved on.
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    Where do you stand? Do you think it is O.K. to promote bootleg copies of Crisis of Conscience? If yes, explain.

Yes, but not bootleg, rather have the book in the public domain with a note to give a donation to a certain fund which Sis. Lykstra (and others after her) may benefit for having given up the copyrights for the sake of helping others. I feel she'd get more good feeling and appreciation from all ex-JWs and also more monetary benefit rather than pay lawyers.

Since Ray Franz charged for the book himself so as to maintain and promote the book, is it not O.K. for the new copyright holder in which he entrusted this work to do the same? If no, explain.

No, Ray has passed away. If monetary benefit is the issue then as I stated above there may be more benefit by going public domain and invite contributions.

Should the correspondence between Lloyd and I be posted publicly?

Yes, Lloyd/Cedars is quite a public person when it comes to ex-JW-dom. I appreciate his role as such. Accusing his character without providing proof is just name calling and questionable. If there is evidence of threats, then what are they?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

oppostate - for proof of cedars moods all you need to do is search this site

cedars needs to say something on his site re this issue in support of the copywriting initiative and he needs to do this within a time frame - if he does not then take him to court. thats my advice hadriel

at the end of the day it is showing respect for Ray and Cynthia and the person they have entrusted that is important

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    on the contrary Ruby456, they( the persons entrusted) are butchering the legacy of Ray, this whole issue still stinks of the people "entrusted" and their cohorts carrying on their feuds and agenda's, its a obvious as a locomotive train at full speed.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

jook

ray and cynthia were unique- it is not up to us to say what they wanted - only they can say and they are saying they want this individual to care for their legacy - we need to respect that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit