Was this right? Cedars threatens, what say you?

by Hadriel 177 Replies latest members adult

• talesin
    talesin

baltar ... check this out. It actually DOES take the amount of time (I believe Ms. Dykstra said it took her 18 months to effect the transfer, which is not long considering the WILL had to be PROBATED first!). In that time, all this bullcrap from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. I hear your frustration, but these things take TIME.

from the US Copyright Office, url:

http://copyright.gov/document.html

Current Processing Time
    Current processing time: Generally up to 16 months
    Currently processing: August 2014
    Regardless of the processing time for your recordation(s), the effective date of recordation is the date the Copyright Office receives your submission (complete document & correct filing fee) in acceptable form.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

@baltar447 you're right...

if you don't have tons of bootleg PDFs.

if you don't have publishers in other countries publishing bootlegs.

if you have the free and clear on the copyright transfer.

if there aren't audio books illegally on YouTube.

if minor edits aren't required for dates and other misc things related to time (this is done for revisions).

...and other if's not disclosed.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Hadriel, perhaps it would be more practical to redirect your time and resources toward getting the book legitimately published rather than attempting to limit access to the work. As the girl next door pointed out there is no way you can win that battle.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @talesin is totally right. There are a whole lot of things in play here guys. I'm not getting so much as a free lunch for my assistance. I have no reason to mislead you.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @paul from your vantage point I can see how someone might feel that way. Been doing this stuff a very long time tho, this is a trivial task for me. But in general I get your point.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

As far as interactions between various parties is concerned I find it tiresome and boring.

I think the issue over copyright and distribution is a result of a lack of understanding of how the Internet was changing the nature of how a publication like this would be best distributed.

If CoC had been offered through a free download with the option of donating something 5 plus years ago then IMHO none of this would have been an issue. Print copies could still have been done for not much money as digital technologies make small print runs feasible as Cedars has demonstrated.

Of course one has to forgive Ray and Cynthia Franz for not being able to discern this but it's a shame that they were not able to get advice on this and nip the free file sharing in the bud. One thing is sure you will never stop it and frankly many, including myself, would not have read the book if the only possible way of getting it was as an expensive printed publication.

The issues related to the passing of the Franz's are a complication but again an earlier intervention may have pre-empted this.

Moving forward, of course the copyright holder is entitled to protect and benefit from the work and hopefully there is still no reason why this cannot be achieved with some pragmatism on how to get the work out to the most people.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Well, legally and all yes she's the rights holder. But I also gotta ask why we should really give any f*cks that someone that didn't create this is supposed to benefit from it? And if you say this ISN'T about the money then just release it into the public domain. Ray and his wife are gone. Putting the cat back in the bag by playing internet whack-a-mole is a fruitless and pointless endeavor.

Again, I'll ask: If this ISN'T "about the money", then why not release it into the public domain?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    I just Googled "Crisis of Conscience" and the entire 447 page PDF version of the book popped up as the 3rd listing. Right after the Wikipedia entry and Amazon where they're listing hardcover copies of the book starting at $500 and paperback copies at $49.93.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

@konceptual99 very honest, and you make solid points. I can't speak for the copyright holder however I can say that very nominal pricing will be in place. I get your point as to the donation basis. The problem is simply this. You can't fight infringers, revise, print, pay attorneys etc without some revenue. You just can't. There lies the problem.

There are many that believe the book should just be free. If that was what Ray wanted he would have put that in place. He was smarter than most give him credit for. Yes he gave copies away here and there but it isn't like it was a free for all. He realized it needed revenue to keep going. Nothing has changed.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @Paul know all about it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit