Was this right? Cedars threatens, what say you?

by Hadriel 177 Replies latest members adult

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

When you want original you go to the source.

For those of you that don't see this as wise I have some great deals on tablets. You game? Because of course it can't be verified since Jobs is dead right?

Sorry but that is a silly argument. The source has an inherent reason to maintain credibility. Everyone else not so much.

So who's the first taker on a 200.00 iPad PRO?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    While preparing for publication, why not offer an official PDF version through Commentary Press with an optional Paypal donation button? I'm sure a lot of the people who download the bootleg PDF would rather have the official version and make a donation if they had that option. Then, when all the legal issues are worked out, the hard copies can be put up for sale.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Paul a very fair and reasonable idea.

BTW on the "it can't be stopped" theory, you're right but you can make it very difficult and I have before.

Secondly if someone stole your identity would you just throw your hands up because "it can't be stopped" or would you do something about it?

Not so simple of a solution when it hits home but no one will admit that I suspect.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am answering the opening post without reading other thoughts, but I will later. I don't want to meditate on them before giving my initial reaction:

Where do you stand? Do you think it is O.K. to promote bootleg copies of Crisis of Conscience? If yes, explain.

Since Ray Franz charged for the book himself so as to maintain and promote the book, is it not O.K. for the new copyright holder in which he entrusted this work to do the same? If no, explain.

Should the correspondence between Lloyd and I be posted publicly?

This is no ordinary book. It's one that makes a difference for many people coming out of a dangerous mind-control cult. Today's major delivery message for such a book is the internet. JW's are sneaking a peak and the computer makes it easier.

So ORDINARILY, I would fully support the idea that it's a creative work like other books and like art and like songs, and that it's perpetuity deserves some kind of compensation. But I have a couple of problems with that. The current situation with that book has caused it to be scarce, and even scarcer on the internet, for quite some time. We are talking about thousands of JW's that have missed out on that book, and thousands more that would have missed out were it not for the "bootleg" copies.

When I buy a song, I can let others listen. When I buy a book, I can let others read. I am not a fan of xerox copies or illegal printings, but I have COC on my computer. I don't sell it, but I have let one or two people read it, just like I would if it were a book. As a matter of fact, I have bought the print book twice and passed it on both times.

And if the current copyright people get it out into the internet at a reasonable cost, as an author myself, I could feel how important it is to stop the illegal releases. Until its easier to get, I override my own feelings because the ends justifies the actions.

I have no opinion about a correspondence.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    If someone stole my identity and tried to misrepresent me online, the first thing I'd do is focus on my official site and identity. I'd hire a SEO expert to optimize my site so that when my name was searched, I'd be the first listing. Hopefully the first 5 listings! If someone searches for "Crisis of Conscience" and the official site comes up first with an authorized PDF version of the work along with a donation option I think you might have a chance of turning this around!
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

@OnTheWayOut totally get you brother. Really appreciate your thought out opinion on the matter.

For the record there have been a few of the naysayers in here that have had great points. It's really what I was looking for just honest opinions. They don't have to agree with my own. That sort of thing is constructive and helpful.

Really appreciate all the input. Keep it coming...

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @Paul once again ur a smart cookie ;)
  • elderINewton
    elderINewton

Just because you hold the copyright doesn't make you source. Unless Ray is alive and in hiding. Maybe I can ask Leonardo da Vinci for a new painting or two. Only the artist knows the creative work. That's the only point, as you have referenced needing to update it change the book. That's not really protecting the original work. Heck the copyright could be sold to the watchtower and we are all screwed.

So I guess your selling the $200 iPads indeed...

No one is suggesting stealing, just saying that without all the reasons it just adds to doubt. As an example what does the existing copyright holder plan on doing with the copyright on her death?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Thank you. I want you to succeed.
  • elderINewton
    elderINewton

I just wanted to add that I think it's a good discussion that adds to the value of the power of this publication.

It's actually interesting to see how civil this is our can be. As this copyright has been a heated debate for some.

I wish this book was actually much newer and it might have been treated like going clear, as of now I personally don't see this as a profitable venture due to the age and demographics involved. I personally have one of the $300 original as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit