Was this right? Cedars threatens, what say you?

by Hadriel 177 Replies latest members adult

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @baltar447 read my post to @Konceptual99. If you'll guarantee all the costs for now into entirety associated with maintaining it maybe we'll have something. Maintaining the legitimacy of something costs. It's that simple.
  • baltar447
    baltar447

LOL!!! It "needs" revenue to "keep going"? As long as we have electricity it will continue to exist as 1s and 0s on hard drives everywhere.

You're totally wrong, EVERYTHING has changed. you can't close pandora's box. You just cant. Seriously, it sounds like you guys are being taken advantage of by attorneys and publishers making promises and taking the copyright holder's money.

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

Hardriel,

Your comments about "You can't fight infringers, revise, print, pay attorneys etc without some revenue." Just say it's about the money. If the intention is to make money then just say it.

It's not about the content its the money. I get that. But I will say that when it was written there was no distribution models for books in electronic medium, so we have no way of saying Ray would not have given the book away. It's pure speculation.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@elderNewton it's not speculation. not at all. Who's saying it's not about money? I said no one is getting rich off of it. You can't maintain the thing without someone work on it consistently so as to generate revenue. If you truly think it is helpful to others, and I believe it is, then the best way to help is to get it into the hands of everyone. That takes human resources that have to otherwise quit their jobs and so on.

Really it's common sense. No one is buying a Beth Sarim off the sales of this thing. I don't get why that isn't more clear to everyone.

Seems like the theory here is since there are infringers/bootleggers just let them steal and hope it all works out.

What if some zealous ones start editing the PDF's and changing Ray's words? Since there's no official source are you cool with the chance of that.

I can assure you that can and probably will happen.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

If there's no official source then the Watchtower themselves could changes a PDF of Ray's work and make it say whatever to disparage & discredit him right?

These are the things some you almost have to assume and protect against. That takes time and resources period.

• talesin
    talesin
    Seems like the theory here is since there are infringers/bootleggers just let them steal and hope it all works out.

Give this thread 48 hours before you draw any hasty conclusions.

So 2 or 3 people argue for illegal distribution, and you think that's the general feeling? I can't find the thread where this was already 'hashed out', but many people on this DB (including the owner) have expressed their agreement that Ray Franz' wish that his work be copyright-protected should be respected.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    I'm sorry but these are all strawman arguments. Many authors and artists don't hit stratosphere until they are deceased. I see Ray's legacy moving forward as it has for the past umpteen years. The prolific distribution of PDF files of CoC that nobody has the time or agenda to alter from their original state. Someone above said it correctly, attorneys are the only ones profiting on this issue. Let the book go public domain and let it soar. Just like it was before all this nonsense.
  • elderINewton
    elderINewton

There is nothing to say the current copyright holder will not change the words. No special exception will ever be given on this publication so in time it could be edited when the copyright expires. The writer is dead and so he can't verify any future edits. So the only reason to hold the copyright is money.

If you want to make money then get it printed with Amazon as was stated. If it's not about money and its about protecting the integrity of the publication then why even go after the infringers? Why bother?

This makes so little sense other than money.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @talesin u make a good point. Just kinda baffles me I guess.
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door
    And nobody is arguing for illegal distribution on this thread. They are simply stating that it can not be stopped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit