Was this right? Cedars threatens, what say you?

by Hadriel 177 Replies latest members adult

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    steve: "the public domain" - a loaded term...

"Public Domain" is not a 'loaded' term. It is specific when used in reference to copyrights.

https://www.teachingcopyright.org/handout/public-domain-faq

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hadriel

You addressed the issue. I have to admit you are doing trying to respond. You said you don't have the right to decide about electronic copies within the week and setting a price.

The cph doesn't care what we think. She is going to do what's in her best interests and a JW doubting is going to do what is in their best interest and not care about the cph.

That's life

If only we could all be nice

Kate xx

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Seriously what if you were to republish one of the existing PDF's out there (just to appease you and others) only to find out it isn't current or has forgeries or something.

You mean to tell me Ray and Cynthia had the foresight to transfer ownership of the copyright to someone else, yet failed to provide said person with a manuscript of the work in question?

Since you supposedly know about code, don't you know that it is quite a simple matter to take two text files and compare them to each other looking for any changes?

Also, the last revisions to the book made before Ray's death were in 2004. At that time, the book would have had to be given to the printing company in PDF form. The book's pagination, layout, formatting, etc. was already done prior to printing. There's no way that a book published in 2004 would not have had an electronic version created for the printing company. (I know this because I work with printing companies every day and have done so since the late 90's.)

So, I find it very hard to believe that this copyright holder does not have an electronic version of the 2004 printing. That would seem to be a serious oversight on Ray and Cynthia's part if they were truly that concerned with the future legacy of the publication.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@juandefiero what I'm saying is you have to be certain of everything as you are representing this man's work. I do believe the last publishing company is out of business. So it isn't like you could even consider that approach if it were even needed.

Again all I'm pointing out is you have to be very certain. If you were to make a mistake you'd have even more of a mess. That takes time to comb through.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    I'm going to resurrect this thread in 6 months when the book still hasn't been published.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

Ha ha I just realized I can wager now with @juandefiero!!! Sweeet

Care to put some money on that Juan?

• Simon
    Simon
    We would not be having this discussion if Ray had been very clear and specific about what he wanted to happen to his books after his death.

I think he was - he left it to the current owner but it takes time to transfer ownership.

you state that Ray did not want his book in "the public domain" - a loaded term. Is this documented anywhere?
    One impression I have is that Ray was not internet-savvy and appeared to have little to say about copies of his books being available in pdf.

That is incorrect. He specifically mentioned his displeasure at seeing people pirating his work and wanted such copies removed. It's documented on this forum (sorry, I don't have a link to hand).

• Simon
    Simon
    We're not going to litigate the whole rights or wrongs of copyright. The law of copyright, the legal owner of the copyright and the wishes of Ray Franz are quite clear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit