Was this right? Cedars threatens, what say you?

by Hadriel 177 Replies latest members adult

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@OrphanCrow

They were not threats of physical violence if that is what you're driving at. It was more or less cyber attacks on my name etc. Essentially pointing to how powerful he was due to quantity of followers. I found it childish but he repeated this several times in the exchange.

@berrygerry

I get that but it goes to openness. In fact he threatened to post this very correspondence I'm talking about. Which I thought was crazy odd because It just makes him look bad. Maybe I'm missing something but sure didn't seem to do him any favors to me.

@Outlaw

I would never post something like that nor use Simon's forum for some agenda. Just wouldn't do it. My question was more or less related to does anyone even care? My guess is that this guy has pull shenanigans with others goes to showing true nature. But again no one may care ultimately.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Listener I took that one down among others. There will be legit replacement in time. I've been holding off on pursuing others.

Just trying to get a feel for how the community feels about it.

That really is the game here fellas.

Like I said in the post it all costs money. It has to come from somewhere. Once in production again the costs will be nominal no one will be getting rich off this. That's not the aim. She is very serious about what's been entrusted to her.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Ok. I will entertain your reasonings and insights. I am glad that Dykstra is moving forward. We are perhaps just impatient. I understand that it is quite a project and the obstacles are legitimate. I also understand she has been offered a plethora of support. Let's get it done.

As far as the distribution of the PDF, good on you for getting it pulled where you can. What about the zillion Facebook groups set to secret and closed where the file is available undetected? What about offshore hosting that you can't even communicate with, not that they would care what you were asking? My point is, where there is a will there is a way. I'm watching a high definition copy of The Force Awakens as we speak. Where is Disney, Lucasfilm with their billions to shut it down? When someone wants a copy of CoC and doesn't want to pay $150.00 for a copy on Amazon, they will be given a PDF copy from a myriad in the ExJW community. It can't ant wont be stopped. Again despite how any of us may feel ethically about the issue. Think about it in context. The ExJW community shares Watchtower copyrighted material relentlessly. If sharing a PDF of CoC can help someone wake up, that will generally take precedence over waiting to purchase a legitimate reasonably priced printing if it ever happens. We live in a world in the shadow of Napster and Mediashare. You can not, even if wearing your Superman internet watchdog cape, stop it.

And finally, it is my personal preference not to hear anything about John Cedars, Mike n Kim, Marc n Cora, etc. etc. It is petulant drama. There are much quieter, more effective, non projecting exhibitionist types in the ExJW community that have been grinding the wheel for decades without fanfare. It will continue to happen that way despite the tabloid hot sheets about apostate bad behavior that surfaces what seems to be bi monthly.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Do you think it is O.K. to promote bootleg copies of Crisis of Conscience? If yes, explain.

Only if there are no legitimate sources available in the foreseeable future.

Since Ray Franz charged for the book himself so as to maintain and promote the book, is it not O.K. for the new copyright holder in which he entrusted this work to do the same? If no, explain.

Of course.

Should the correspondence between Lloyd and I be posted publicly?

Sure, why not?

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@thegirlnextdoor as to drama I completely get that. As to stopping piracy I understand and agree to a point. However I"m an expert in this area. If the file is indexed I'll know about it. No I can't stop someone from emailing it to you or handing it to you on a thumb drive, however if you host it pretty much anywhere I can find it. I host many VPS's offshore. I know the drill. Piracy will always be out there but we can put a dent in it and already have.

• baltar447
    baltar447
    Bullcrap. It's easy AF to self publish on Amazon. I'm not buying it.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Villiage Idiot - as to if no legit sources are avail. yeah I can see how you might feel that way. I get it. Unfortunately the law is as it is for a reason as folks will exploit it and run wild with it and there's the problem.

Be clear we're not just talking the U.S or UK but lots of other languages have been exploiting the situation. Simply not right and prevents generating the revenue needed to get the thing out there.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    hadriel: They were not threats of physical violence if that is what you're driving at. It was more or less cyber attacks on my name etc. Essentially pointing to how powerful he was due to quantity of followers. I found it childish but he repeated this several times in the exchange.

No, I wasn't specifically thinking of threats of physical violence. Threats of a harassing nature do not need to involve actual physical harm to a person to be classified as a gross misdeameanor.

However, what you describe doesn't seem "threatening". He sounds like he was boasting but from the information you have given, to say that he threatened you seems to be a bit of an an exaggeration.

So, no...I don't think that posting your exchange with Lloyd would be productive.

However, if I am wrong and you still think he means to do you harm (because that is what "threats" imply), then, I am with Talesin on this. Go to the police.

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

This whole copyright issue really clouds the intention of the book at this point. The author and his wife are gone so really there is little reason to maintain the copyright. The intent is that the book should be in more hands than controlled by a select few.

I think it should be placed in the public domain so that it can shine more light at this point.

If it's not about money then why maintain it.

I do think that writers should be protected but the greater good here is the issue. Not who controls what.

Bootleg copies of everything is out on the web, always will be. Just a fact not an opinion. Usually bootleg copies are really caused when demand exceeds supply, which is exactly what happened with this book.

People see this book as a way of opening people's eyes and for that if they can't get a copy of course they will promote a bootleg. Really what choice do they have? The existing holder has really left them high and dry by not doing what you outlined (translation, etc.) Offer a choice and you'll get different results.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

No to bootleg COC.

Yes, current copyright holder should charge for copies.

What transpires between you and Cedars I couldn't give a tinker's cuss about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit