Was this right? Cedars threatens, what say you?

by Hadriel 177 Replies latest members adult

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I can't get my head around the sense of entitlement - that because we are xjws somehow we are entitled to be given these books free of charge or that bootlegged copies are available therefore there needn't be any copyrighting

secondly some have described the book as a live saver - for goodness sake it is only a book, a significant one yes but life saver - no and therefore no one is withholding life saving material from you by asking you to stop using it free of charge to further your own interests

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @jookbeard you're insinuating ulterior motives based on my speech. Not sure why you feel the need to do this but nonetheless this is how I speak due to my background. My apologies if this offends. Not the intent. Assisting the CPH is in no way a business for me but rather is based on the very thing you're talking about namely....helping others.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    so Ruby for the umpteenth time why weren't official free PDF's made available in the interim period when the book was out of print and when the transfer of copyright was going on in court? surely it wouldn't have been too hard to do?
  • Incognito
    Incognito

Ray could have made all the edits he wanted to. His edits are not at issue since the book is his work.

The value of the book is in Ray Franz's thoughts, opinion's and experience as a member of the Gov Body. Any edit's included without Ray's knowledge and consent, only serve to de-value the book and raise suspicions as to the authenticity of all versions.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Additionally, if you want to provide other translations or audio versions of the book those also have hard tangible dollars attached. You also have costs in re-editing where for example dates are involved. If a sentence reads "in the last 12 years" for example it may need to be changed to "in the last 19 years" as it has been since 2008 when COC was last published.

There are expenses involved in producing translations and audio versions of any book, and one way or another it takes money to make these things happen.

That said, it is alarming to think about any sort of re-editing of a book whose author is deceased/incapacitated. That should never happen. An author's work should stand on its own merit. If an author is deceased or incapacitated then it is the duty of a reader to comprehend time elements in relation to original dates of publication, that is if it's not made plain within the subject presentation's context. To change (read: "re-edit") the work of an author is to produce a derivative work, which would need full disclosure, which would alter whatever authority the original work held.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

good for you hadriel

because we have been in a cult for so long it is hard to stop being spoonfed

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Probably that same entitlement learned as JWs...which also promulgates the entitlement to download and distribute copyrighted Watchtower documents.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

jookbeard

so Ruby for the umpteenth time why weren't official free PDF's made available in the interim period when the book was out of print and when the transfer of copyright was going on in court? surely it wouldn't have been too hard to do?

plse see my post above which said

can't get my head around the sense of entitlement - that because we are xjws somehow we are entitled to be given these books free of charge or that bootlegged copies are available therefore there needn't be any copyrighting

secondly some have described the book as a live saver - for goodness sake it is only a book, a significant one yes but life saver - no and therefore no one is withholding life saving material from you by asking you to stop using it free of charge to further your own interests

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Hadriel,

I have no doubt about the good intent that you and the copyright holder have. I don't think anyone would disagree that there are costs associated with continuing to manage and promote Ray's works.

As I have already stated, the goodwill associated with Ray's name and his works has a very high value right now. If I were the copyright holder of Ray's works I would be trusting the community of those ex and exiting JWs that respect that goodwill before it is undermined by slow progress.

Put it online officially. Allow people to donate. Ask for community support for translation. Use technology to keep print costs low and flexible. Keep it simple. Do it quickly.

This is not an unproven model. It's been done time and time again.

I am 100% sure that you will find the exJW community come together to support you, the current copyright holder and the memory of Ray and his works.

All the best!

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

ON EDITING: to be clear I've seen this done in revisions of other books to give them a "current" feel. This is based on my own experience and in no way has been proposed to me by the copyright holder.

Again this is based on my experience with other works. I'm NOT saying it will be done here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit