Awesome Video on debunking 1914!!!!! Follow it carefully to the end!!

by Beth Sarim 168 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scholar
    scholar

Mr. Finkelstein

The debate is about what year did Jerusalem fall or was destroyed the WTS says 607 BCE, the facts and accumulative evidence say 586 BCE.

Nebuchadnezzar's annexation over Judea lasted approximately 68 years close to 70

----

What facts? The only relevant facts are contained in the Biblical record and the facts do not support 586 or 587 but only 607 BCE for the Fall because this date is the only one that fully accounts for the biblically, factual period of 70 years.

If Neb's annexation was as you say 68 years then that is not 70 years so clearly you have a BIG problem so you should alter your viewpoint.

scholar JW emeritus

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Scholar I'll leave you with your ideas. I misread your posts, I did not think you were being serious.

• scholar
    scholar

Mr. Finkelstein, Anna Marina, Beth Sarim and others

Please be aware that I have debated subjects such as 607, Gentile Times, 1914 on this forum for many years and unlike other JW apologists I consult and use not just WT publications but leading Bible Commentaries and as an Alumni have free access to leading academic institutions all over the world which means I have access to theses, dissertations, and more important scholarly journals.

Further, the matter of 607 was first argued against in Australia and not Sweden where C.O. Jonsson resides and such debates first originated with SDA apologists here in Australia going back to the fifties and I acknowledge the work of my acquaintance Doug Mason who has kindly provided access to some of these resources.

Also, a couple of years ago I completed and obtained a Certificate of completion for the online course 'The Rise and Fall of Jerusalem' by Tel Aviv University so such a course based on the textbook by Obed Lipschits gave me insights into the history and archaeology of that late Judean period.

Enjoy!!

scholar JW emeritus

• scholar
    scholar

Anna Marina

I am big on seriousness, seriously. The said scholar has viewed your nonsense via video and I should inform you that I have studied Koine Greek with leading International Greek scholars so this has given me a broad perspective when it comes to such a matter of the meaning and theology of the Parousia nicely grounded in Eschatology properly beginning with the end of the Gentile Times in 1914 CE.

scholar JW emeritus

• TD
    TD

I admire your tenaciousness scholar, but fear that your religion will eventually pull the rug out from under you on this.

I don't have an iron in this fire and don't care when Jerusalem fell.

I'm just speaking as a long time observer of your religion. This is what they've done to every other scholarly minded apologist.

Who would have thought they would have reduced the majority of study books over the last 50 years to nearly the status of fiction?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''I admire your tenaciousness scholar, but fear that your religion will eventually pull the rug out from under you on this.

I don't have an iron in this fire and don't care when Jerusalem fell.

I'm just speaking as a long time observer of your religion. This is what they've done to every other scholarly minded apologist.

Who would have thought they would have reduced the majority of study books over the last 50 years to nearly the status of fiction?''

I could not have said this better myself.

They will pull the wool over your eyes and pull the rug from underneath you. Simultaneously.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

The apostate Scholar has put biased blinders on his head and rebuked all or any information that doesn't fall inline with the WTS's dating of 607 and the dating of 1914.

Well at least we offered and witnessed to him the truth, his loyalty to the men of the WTS is obviously far greater than it is to Jesus Christ, he may have to be confronted with that situation one day.

Farewell false prophet scholar.

• scholar
    scholar

Mr. Finkelstein

The apostate Scholar has put biased blinders on his head and rebuked all or any information that doesn't fall inline with the WTS's dating of 607 and the dating of 1914

---

False. Scholar has studied this subject in depth over many decades and has read all opposing arguments to the contrary unlike yourself, Beth Sarim and others. It seems that when the chips are down you run off like scared rabbits.

scholar JW

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Mr. Finkelstein

The apostate Scholar has put biased blinders on his head and rebuked all or any information that doesn't fall inline with the WTS's dating of 607 and the dating of 1914

---

False. Scholar has studied this subject in depth over many decades and has read all opposing arguments to the contrary unlike yourself, Beth Sarim and others. It seems that when the chips are down you run off like scared rabbits.

scholar JW''

It seems someone could sure benefit by reading Raymond Franz' ''Crisis of Conscience'' or books by James Penton, Don Cameron, David A. Reed, Ron Rhodes, Bonnie Zieman, Lloyd Evans, Steven Hassan, Bart Ehrman, James R. White....just to name only a mere few. Oodles more of wonderful authors of excellent, well-researched books.

or just go on jwfacts.com

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Siege of Jerusalem (587 BC)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigationJump to search
    This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
    Find sources: "Siege of Jerusalem" 587 BCnews · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
    This article is about the siege that occurred in 589–587 BC. It is not to be confused with the first siege by Nebuchadnezzar, see Siege of Jerusalem (597 BC).
    For other uses, see Siege of Jerusalem.
    Siege of Jerusalem
    Part of the Jewish–Babylonian war (601–586 BC)
    Nebuchadnezzar camp outside Jerusalem. Famine in the city.jpg
    Nebuchadnezzar camps outside Jerusalem. The citizens starve and are reduced to cannibalism. (Petrus Comestor's "Bible Historiale"), 1372
    Date589 to 587 BC
    LocationJerusalem
    ResultBabylonian victory, destruction of Jerusalem, fall of Kingdom of Judah
    Belligerents
    Kingdom of JudahNeo-Babylonian Empire
    Commanders and leaders
    ZedekiahNebuchadnezzar II
    Strength
    Much fewerUnknown
    Casualties and losses
    Many slain, 4,200 others taken to captivityUnknown
    Part of a series on
    Jerusalem
    Temple Mount
  • City of David
  • Second Temple Period
  • Aelia Capitolina
  • Middle Ages
  • Kingdom of Jerusalem
  • Mutasarrifate
  • British Mandate
  • Jordanian annexation
  • Israeli occupation
  • Reunification
  • Sieges
    Places
  • Mayor
  • Chief Rabbi
  • Grand Mufti
  • Greek Orthodox Patriarch
  • Crusader kings
  • Political status
    Other topics

In 589 BC, Nebuchadnezzar II laid siege to Jerusalem, culminating in the destruction of the city and its temple in the summer of 587 or 586 BC.

Babylonian campaign and its outcome[edit]

Background[edit]

Following the siege of 597 BC, the Neo-Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar installed Zedekiah as vassal king of Judah, at the age of 21. However, Zedekiah revolted against Babylon, and entered into an alliance with Pharaoh Hophra, the king of Egypt. Nebuchadnezzar responded by invading Judah (2 Kings 25:1).

Siege[edit]

Nebuchadnezzar began a siege of Jerusalem in December 589 BCE. During this siege, the duration of which was either 18 or 30 months (see below at "Chronological notes"),[1] the Bible describes the city as enduring horrible deprivation (2 Kings 25:3; Lamentations 4:4, 5, 9). After completion of the eleventh year of Zedekiah's reign (Jeremiah 1:3), Nebuchadnezzar broke through Jerusalem's walls, conquering the city. Zedekiah and his followers attempted to escape but were captured on the plains of Jericho and taken to Riblah. There, after seeing his sons killed, Zedekiah was blinded, bound, and taken captive to Babylon (2 Kings 25:1–7; 2 Chronicles 36:12; Jeremiah 32:4–5; 34:2–3; 39:1–7; 52:4–11), where he remained a prisoner until his death.

Aftermath[edit]

After the fall of Jerusalem, the Babylonian general Nebuzaraddan was sent to complete its destruction. Jerusalem was plundered, and Solomon's Temple was destroyed. Most of the elite were taken into captivity in Babylon. The city was razed to the ground. Only a few people were permitted to remain to tend to the land (Jeremiah 52:16).

The Jew Gedaliah was made governor of the remnant of Judah, the Yehud Province, with a Chaldean guard stationed at Mizpah (2 Kings 25:22–24; Jeremiah 40:6–8). The Bible reports that, on hearing this news, Jews who had fled to Moab, Ammon, Edom, and in other countries returned to Judah (Jeremiah 40:11–12). Gedaliah was assassinated by Ishmael son of Nethaniah two months later, and the population that had remained and those who had returned then fled to Egypt for safety (2 Kings 25:25–26, Jeremiah 43:5–7). In Egypt, they settled in Migdol (it is uncertain where the Bible is referring to here, probably somewhere in the Nile Delta), Tahpanhes, Memphis (called Noph), and Pathros in the vicinity of Thebes (Jeremiah 44:1).

Chronological notes[edit]

See also: Jeconiah

There has been some debate as to when Nebuchadnezzar's second siege of Jerusalem took place. There is no dispute that Jerusalem fell the second time in the summer month of Tammuz (Jeremiah 52:6), but William F. Albright dates the end of Zedekiah's reign and the fall of Jerusalem to 587 BC, but Edwin R. Thiele offers 586 BC.[2]

Thiele's reckoning is based on the presentation of Zedekiah's reign on an accession basis, which he asserts was occasionally used for the kings of Judah. In that case, the year that Zedekiah came to the throne would be his zeroth year; his first full year would be 597/596 BC, and his eleventh year, the year that Jerusalem fell, would be 587/586 BC. Since Judah's regnal years were counted from Tishri in autumn, that would place the end of his reign and the capture of Jerusalem in the summer of 586 BC.[2][3]

The Nebuchadnezzar Chronicle (BM 21946), published in 1956, indicates that Nebuchadnezzar captured Jerusalem the first time putting an end to the reign of Jehoaichin, on 2 Adar (16 March) 597 BC, in Nebuchadnezzar's seventh year.[4] Jeremiah 52:28-29 gives the relative periods for the end of the two sieges as Nebuchadnezzar's seventh and eighteenth years, respectively. (The same periods are elsewhere described at 2 Kings 24:12 2 Kings 25:8 as Nebuchadnezzar's eighth and nineteenth years, including his accession year.) Identification of Nebuchadnezzar's eighteenth year for the end of the siege places the event in the summer of 587 BC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit