84 Lumber Commercial

by azor 236 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I break laws, I don't particularly care if others do to so as long as it isn't directly affecting me, but if I, or others get caught, it is what it is at the end of the day, I can't sympathize to the point of calling enforcing a law "racist" if it's not, or that just because some people don't like getting caught it shouldn't be a law. What ever happened to reasonableness???

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon I guess your ok with derogatory terms. Good to know.

Please back this up or apologize.

Why not a wall along the northern border.

Because Canada is classed as a stable country with appropriate immigration checks.

Obviously we can just drive straight through to the US and no questions asked, we put our "white privilege" cards and the dash and just get waved past all the brown people in the queues without even having to slow down.

Is that what you think happens?

The meaning became derogatory over time as has the term you are using. It doesn't matter where it stemmed from.

Many groups change acceptable terminology over time because a word for some groups becomes less acceptable over time.

Disabled, Spastic, Handicapped, Special Needs, Less Able Bodied etc...

Negro, Black, Brown, Colored, African American, Person of Color etc...

If someone wants to be called something else, fine. But don't chastise people for using yesterdays word when it's only just changed or for using words that the group themselves use.

I remember watching CNN where one of the guest panel feigned huge shock & outrage about someone else using the term "black" saying "the correct term is person of color!!" followed immediately by "as a black woman who ..."

• Simon
    Simon

azor - is the Mexican border that I am not allowed to cross on my own whim a symbol of white hate?

Here's a better one. Would you call an illegal Irish immigrant white trash?

Only if they were white trash, not for being white or irish. But then I would call anyone who is white trash, white trash.

But really, why would it bother me if someone else with the same skin color was called a name?

I don't know about others here, but I'm White, and find all these ethnic slurs very offensive

I agree, they are offensive in most contexts. But people seem to be arguing that members of those ethnicities can use them and it be OK. It's harder to argue it should never be used and also that it can be used by some - how 'ethic' exactly do you need to be to be allowed to use the term?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Obviously we can just drive straight through, we put our "white privilege" cards and the dash and just get waved past all the brown people in the queues.

lmao

Funny thing about immigration from the countries currently "banned" in the middle east, most all of us would not be welcome there, we would not get deported for walking down their streets, we would get kidnapped, tortured, then beheaded on TV. Now, this is not necessarily from ISIS or Al Queda either. Our being cautious with people possessing such abhorrent ideologies is not racist.

Anyone else following the Steve Gern story?

“Americans in general are extremely naive, they don't want to understand there are actual people out there that don't like our way of life. You can't change their thought process.”
  • Spoletta
    Spoletta
    Luhe, I'm only saying that I find these terms offensive. I would find them offensive no matter what the subject was. Does disliking someone make calling them a name OK? Look how this whole OP has degenerated. Using slurs didn't advance either side's narrative, it just created a lot of rancor and divisiveness.
  • bohm
    bohm

I have a question: does a commitment to free speech which implies that the use of racial slurs is okay also mean that when the left use very expansive definitions of the words "racist" and "fascist" that is okay as well?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I have a question: does a commitment to free speech which implies that the use of racial slurs is okay also mean that when the left use very expansive definitions of the words "racist" and "fascist" that is okay as well?

Its perfectly ok, just doesn't mean its true or makes sense, that is why we all are laughing at you calling everyone who doesn't agree with you 100% fascists, racists, bigots, trumpians, trump supporters, trumpkins, nazis, xenophobes, islamaphobes, haters,... did I miss any? misogynists, whitelashers.... No one is stopping you from doing that, just mocking you for it. Free speech, still intact!!!

• bohm
    bohm

freemindfade: Does it often happen to you that people who don't agree with you 100% call you a racist?

Like, has that every happened to you?

Because it seems to me that examples of people who exhibit that behavior is very rare...

• Landy
    Landy

Funny thing about immigration from the countries currently "banned" in the middle east, most all of us would not be welcome there, we would not get deported for walking down their streets, we would get kidnapped, tortured, then beheaded on TV. Now, this is not necessarily from ISIS or Al Queda either. Our being cautious with people possessing such abhorrent ideologies is not racist.

Perhaps - I read a lot of motorcycle travel books and the overwhelming majority tend to say how welcoming and hospitable the people of the middle east are. My own experience of the muslim countries I've visited has been very positive.

Even if what you say is true - and I can accept it may be, especially in places where British and US bombs have levelled the place - it doesn't mean we have to aim for the bottom in being like them.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@bohm: yes .. free speech means you can use whatever terms you want. But note: nobody was trying to jail anyone for using "racism" for "nationality". However, it is anyone's right to point out it is an attempt to obfuscate.

MMM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit