84 Lumber Commercial

by azor 236 Replies latest jw friends

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I am in no way for open borders. I am tired though, of demonizing people who try to build a better life for themselves. They are criminals in the strict interpretation of the law, but they aren't all bad people.

I just don't believe that a wall is the right solution. Surely we can come up with something better that won't cost $21 billion.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Annual cost/burden of illegal immigration $133 Billion ($29 billion at the federal level and $84 billion at the state and local level) > $21 billion for increased security.

Fiscally speaking

• kpop
    kpop

Is the cost the issue? I'm sorry if I am missing something. Either we have a border which functions as intended or we don't. I remember that Trump went after several companies recently because he said they were charging the US tax payer too much -- Boeing was charging too much for the Air Force 1, Lockheed was charging too much for the new fighter jet and several other companies.. He met them, negotiated and got the prices reduced significantly! On the Lockheed deal he cut off $700 Million alone and said even more can be saved. This from a President who has taken no salary to save the tax payers money. I think his actions speak positively for his overall agenda, even if you don't agree with it. Give the man some time to prove himself because so far there have been more positives than negatives.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Any of his policies get lost in how much people dislike (him personally) his brash sometimes rude and childish style. But to be fair you have to look past that stuff for yourself to realize most of it is not the end of the world. We get it, no one likes him, let him try and save us a little money at least lol

• azor
    azor

Free Mind Fade you are making my point exactly. As America continues to lock down and isolate itself the higher the price tag will be. This country like every other has the right to do whatever it wants with its borders. However Isolationism seems to be the order of the day. Exacerbating the situation in the process.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I am saying the wall is not as expensive as "not having the wall". If increased security knocks that $113 Billion Dollar number down by more than its cost ($21 Billion) doesn't it make sense from a financial perspective?

Also, we are far from isolating, I have lived in three of the most diverse states in America, we are ok and that's not going to change anytime soon.

No one is banning immigration, America has always had a yearly target for immigration. It's not going to stop. Working against undocumented immigration is not stopping immigration.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

freemindfade. As usual, I can find as many sources to debunk the high cost of immigrants as to confirm them. However, I tend to discount sources like Fox, Breitbart and Trump himself. We can argue this all day. Ask the farmers in California how much money it will cost them if their labor supply is cut off. They will tell you that they can only survive by making the illegals here already legal, and bringing in more from other countries, as most Americans will not do the work under the conditions and wages currently offered. I'm sure you can find some source to contradict this, so I claim stalemate.

• Simon
    Simon
    The laws on the books have been doing the job for the most part.

Except they haven't. Obama's revolving door or letting millions in and deporting millions is probably great news and pure profit for the people smugglers but doesn't help the people who need it.

Better to have an orderly and managed immigration process so people who enter can enter legally and then stay.

How many immigrants are allowed is a separate issue to having a proper system in place. Limits are meaningless if you don't have the latter.

• Simon
    Simon
    Ask the farmers in California how much money it will cost them if their labor supply is cut off. They will tell you that they can only survive by making the illegals here already legal, and bringing in more from other countries, as most Americans will not do the work under the conditions and wages currently offered.

The problem is that in a capitalist system, they should go out of business OR prices adapt OR their profit margins shrink.

This notion that there are no American workers willing to work is BS. Provide the right incentives and a fair wage and they will have workers.

Taking advantage of immigrants by paying them piss poor wages doesn't ultimately help them or do anything else but make them modern day slaves.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I tend to discount sources like Fox, Breitbart and Trump himself

I was sighting a report, not fox news or Breitbart or trump. It's from the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit