84 Lumber Commercial

by azor 236 Replies latest jw friends

• azor
    azor

Pbrow it's about scale and type of activity. The companies that hire illegal/undocumented immigrants are breaking the law as well. Why aren't we talking about jail for them and use derogatory terms when referring to them.

Comparing a thief to an illegal immigrant is like comparing homicide to armed robbery.

Did you see the commercial in its entirety?

• sir82
    sir82

My argument is, words matter. The previous posts questioned the switch I made from "illegal immigrant" to "undocumented immigrant". I believe it is hurtful and demeaning to refer to any human as "illegal". Human dignity matters, even for those who are lawbreakers.

A thief I would call a "criminal". He is not an "illegal" person.

So, are "illegal immigrants" criminals?

To be perfectly honest, I struggle with that. Strictly speaking, yes, they are. But I happen to live in an area where many have come, by the literal thousands. By and large, they are model citizens. They raise families, their kids go to school, they pay taxes, they support their communities. Some are "bad hombres" as Herr Donald is wont to say, but not as a proportion out of line with any other group.

I don't know. I just can't wrap my head around calling a 5 year old kid who was taken along by her parents across the border as a "criminal". Nor can I wrap my head around calling her parents "criminals", after hearing what they escaped and seeing how they are integrating into society.

Border control and immigration control are obviously essential. But brutal methods such as building a wall, and threatening deportation of millions, I don't think is the answer.

• kpop
    kpop

I am an immigrant but I find that commercial disgusting! I came here legally with my family. This video is condoning illegal immigration?

As a Korean if I were to illegally enter China do you know what would happen to me if I over stayed my visa? First I would be put into a Chinese jail for 6 months until a trial could be held. Then if I get a fair trial I may have to serve time or pay a fine. Then I would be deported and never allowed to enter again. If I tried to then I would be put in prison for 30-40 years.

I am so sick of the mass hysteria about this situation. Shame on OP for thinking this was a good commercial.

• azor
    azor

kopp so you want us to be like China. That commercial is what makes America great. We can have commercials like this and discuss it. I will ask again did you watch the commercial in its entirety.

• kpop
    kpop

You have missed the point entirely and shame on you for choosing such a terrible argument. Although you might not suffer in prison as you would in China, every country on earth has a similar situation if you enter ILLEGALLY. The key word is illegally. You will 100% be deported at the minimum from Canada, all of Europe and do not even start with the Middle East nations.

There is no justification for this. None. I'm not arguing that the commercial should not be aired (as you said this is America and we have that wonderful right to do so) but I'm arguing the content is disturbing and suggestive of condoning illegal activity.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Simon. I'm all for higher wages, but people have to realize that they'll likely have to pay more for goods and services. I'm willing to, but is everyone else? There'll be a lot of whining when people can't afford their "Made in the USA" 72 inch flat screen TVs. Not to mention $2 heads of lettuce.

• azor
    azor

KOPP in total how much did it cost you to get here, and how long? Are you willing to pick fruit, mow lawns for a living and so on? You of all people should know that the immigration process needs fixing. This commercial was about the ridiculousness of the bigoted wall.

What about the hysteria built up by the right about those crossing the southern border illegally. Last I checked the terrorists that have struck the U.S. had Visas, and others are home grown. The numbers that have crossed is also down to historic lows.

It's king asshole trump that has stirred this pot. I for one will not stand for it and will continue to cheer those that stand in opposition to his bigoted divisive wall.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Sir82 said: A thief I would call a "criminal". He is not an "illegal" person.

When you say "illegal immigrant", you're not saying the person is illegal, you're commenting on their status. Are they a legal resident? No? Then what's the opposite of legal? Illegal.

When I was a kid they were called illegal aliens, because that's what they were by definition and what the authorities referred to them as. Then some La Raza snowflake somewhere decided alien was derogatory and decided immigrant was more PC.

People gave in and said, "OK...Illegal Immigrant.."

Now they don't like "Illegal..." so they want us to say "Undocumented Immigrant..."

Some are even wanting to change that to say "Undocumented Citizen."

When will they say that "Undocumented" is politically incorrect and we should just call them a citizen?

I'M SAYING ALL OF THIS, AND I'M AN AMERICAN OF MEXICAN DESCENT.

Don't believe the lie that all Mexican-Americans support illegal immigration. Many of us, or our family, followed the LAWS OF THE LAND, and came here legally. We don't like line cutters and that's why we call them mojados in a derogatory way. WE CARE ABOUT THE LAWS OF OUR ADOPTED NATION AND HAVE CONTEMPT FOR THOSE THAT DISPLAY CONTEMPT FOR THOSE LAWS.

• azor
    azor

I'm all for an open discussion about the immigration process and how to fix it. The problem right now is what is driving the discussion. It is rhetoric.

Right nowe Trump and his alt right cohorts are demonizing the Mexican immigrant with their rhetoric and with the wall.

The left and the moderate right are humanizing them.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Right nowe Trump and his alt right cohorts are demonizing the Mexican immigrant with their rhetoric and with the wall.

No...they're demonizing the ILLEGAL LAW BREAKING LINE CUTTING immigrant. Criminals SHOULD be demonized. These illegals are what we in my proudly MEXICAN-AMERICAN family refer to as mojados (wetbacks).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit