84 Lumber Commercial

by azor 236 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Most of us were NOT criminals, and most of us were NOT dedicated to the overthrow of the US government and the destruction of America.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

See the Budweiser a ad during the Superbowl?

• azor
    azor

Really Nathan. Why weren't you criminals. Because your ancestors had a lighter tinge to their skin and were accepted with open arms.

You really believe that these people from south of the border are trying to overthrow the government? Wow, just wow. Truly disgusting.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Just makes the point that there are still people in this world that will endure great hardship and give up their old life to make a better new life for their children, rather than sit around and expect someone else to do it for them.

Legal or not. I admire their courage.

• azor
    azor

Simon. So what that video portrays doesn't happen huh? How many of these people die every year crossing our desert border. Seeking a better life for their child/children. The process isn't just lengthy it's damn near impossible for someone who is poor.

My grandmother came from Mexico. Illegally 100 years ago. Learned the language. Was a productive member of society for her 70 years in this country. Had a son that was permanently injured during WWII, and died decades before she did.

• never a jw
    never a jw

The ad is Watchtower style. Emotional to the core.

Give me the rational arguments. There's plenty in favor and against.

This commercial is emotionally manipulative. The U.S. and other developed countries can't, nor are obliged to, absorb everyone who is poor and suffering in the world. It'd be nice, but is far from reality.

And yes, I am an immigrant living in the U.S. who believes that any host country has to the right to make rational decisions that primarily benefit itself and its citizens before any emotional considerations are applied.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Azor, my ancestors came to this country in full compliance with the immigration laws that applied at the time of their arrival, and they came because they were in full agreement with the principles of the US Constitution and the other laws of the United States of America.

You are no doubt familiar with the saying "mi casa es su casa." is that EVER meant literally? If I break into your home, does that make me a member of your family?

You may be unaware of the purpose of the organization called "la Raza" and the goals of the Reconquista Movement, but I am.

It speaks volumes that you find an informed opponent "truly disgusting." Surely you would prefer that EVERYONE was on a mental siesta, aided by some of your illegal Mexican herbal imports.

• Simon
    Simon
    You really believe that these people from south of the border are trying to overthrow the government?

"these people" is a pretty vague description.

There are clearly some who wish to enter the US to cause harm, some who wish to escape from harm and some who just want to move somewhere better for economic reasons.

There are systems in place for all of those. Why should some people be allowed to jump the queue?

Should every poor person (less well off) be allowed into America? If not, why not? If so, why should certain groups be allowed in preference to others?

In a Disney version of reality, there is unlimited space in the kingdom and all can enter. Back in the real world there are economies and social fabric to consider and you simply cannot throw the borders open to all.

Who much should they be policed? Where exactly should patrols turn a blind eye to?

And of course in any discourse, the people advocating for this unchecked immigration never mention how those travelling are often the victims or people traffickers. Illegal entry is not the solution to people's suffering.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

never a jw. So the anti-immigration people aren't manipulative?

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Simon. I understand your point, but if I thought there was a way to give my children a better life, or protect their lives by going somewhere else, I wouldn't worry too much about the legality of it. At least, I hope I would have the courage to do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit