Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman
    It's my opinion that anything really popular with the American public is probably pretty pathetic.

Again you've identified the problem in this discussion: "It's my opinion." Big deal!

Herk

It's my opinion that anything really popular with the American public is probably pretty pathetic.

Again you've identified the problem in this discussion: "It's my opinion." Big deal!

Herk

Herk

That is what goes on here "opinions"! Yes, "opinions" are a big deal! We have our opinions about many things. Only bigots or JWs object to opinions.

IW

• logansrun
    logansrun

Um, Aztec -- what issues are you conserative on? This is news to me.

Bradley

• dedalus
    dedalus
    FWIW, although I haven't heard Dr. Laura's show in years and have no idea why so many rail against the poor woman, I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed your perspective on this topic.

Well, how about her public declaration that homosexuals are "deviant biological errors?" Does anyone who likes her want to take that up?

Warm Fuzzies,

Dedalus

• Aztec
    Aztec
    Um, Aztec -- what issues are you conserative on?

Damnit, Bradley, I'm trying to think of something...

Oh yeah! That Tinky Winky is gay isn't he? I ain't lettin my son watch those damn Telly Tubbies ever again!

~Az

• teejay
    teejay
    how about her public declaration that homosexuals are "deviant biological errors?

Well, Dedalus, assuming she said it...

I'd say her remark was a bit over the top, although I understand where she was coming from. I think. If I'm correct in what I think she meant, her viewpoint isn't all that uncommon.

• Aztec
    Aztec
    If I'm correct in what I think she meant, her viewpoint isn't all that uncommon

Whether uncommon or not, it's incorrect. How sad that American's would look to a homophobic misanthrope like her for moral advice.

~Az

• dedalus
    dedalus

http://www.hatecrime.org/subpages/hatespeech/laura.html

If you're interested in reading some of this "poor little lady's" words.

Dedalus

• teejay
    teejay
    Whether uncommon or not, it's incorrect.

I stop short in saying whether or not she's "incorrect" or otherwise. For me to make that judgment would presuppose that I am "correct" when such may or may not be the case. The most that I'm personally willing to do in such as case is to say that I disagree with her opinion.

Based on it's definition, it *could* be said that homosexuality *is* a deviant behavior, though less deviant now than, say, fifty years ago. As societal standards shift, what was deviant in the past is less so now. The "biological error" remark I also sorta understand. The primary objective of every species is regeneration. So, with that in mind, homosexuality tends to defeat that prime objective – ergo is, biologically speaking, a mistake or error.

• dedalus
    dedalus

I like what Teejay's written, but it ain't what Dr. Laura had in mind.

Dedalus

• Aztec
    Aztec

Teejay, what if I say Martha Stewart is deviant? Will I get a huge socialite protest on my front lawn? The definition of deviant can change very swiftly with the mores of the society in question. The society we live in is not necessarily one in which massive progeneration is key or even necessary. As the earth becomes a more crowded place fertility becomes less essential. I think (my opinion yet again) that she is far behind the times and very much guilty of hate speech and poor advice.

~Az

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit