Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I haven't listened to Dr. Laura in a while. I support her position on moms staying home while the kids are young. In years past, I have heard her defend the Jehovah's Witnesses. I heard her say one time she had a good friend who was a JW.

I remember a call from a young woman last year on dating in the JW's. Her mother and sister were pressuring her to date a much older man in the congregation, she was 21 and he was in his late 30's, early 40's. Dr. Laura said dating such an older man was not wise because generally you have absolutely nothing in common. The young JW girl said about not dating outside the faith. Dr. Laura wasn't concerned so much about the dating practices in JW's as that this young woman and older man would not have anything in common other than religion. Dr. Laura couldn't support it and advised against it. She also told that girl not to listen to her mother and sister!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    She also told that girl not to listen to her mother and sister!

One of Dr. Laura's many problems is that she assumes too much from the caller. Counsellor's are not around to tell people what to do (which makes me wonder.. did she get her PhD and certification from the back of a cereal box?), they give "helping interviews" instead. However Laura Slessenger actually orders huge sweeping decisions affecting many lives, and often children at that, without even getting an objective idea of what is going on. And like the above quote, when it comes to her 10 second opinion of that of family relations, it's her way or the highway.

She's also a homophobe.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I don't always agree with her either, but I think on most issues the gal is pretty sound. SOMEONE needs to stay home with little kids, their lives are better (in general). Step families are hard work and generally unfair to the kids involved. Generally her position seems to be if you have to ask someone's advice on whether this move or that is right, or should I or shouldn't I marry such and such, the answer is generally NO! I've not seen much hypocracy on her part. Can ya point some out?

• gitasatsangha
  • TresHappy
    TresHappy

Those nude pictures of Dr. Laura are pretty easy to find out there on the Internet. Just type in Dr. Laura nude in google and you'll soon see them. They are really awful snapshots of someone who should have known better than to pose for such things. The topless ones are bad enough but those full frontal nudity ones are even more horrid!

• teejay
    teejay

Oh!

So if you are a morally sound individual you shouldn't ever go nude. And if you *do* go nude, you shouldn't go completely nude. Or have your picture taken.

And if you have a radio show where people call in for advice, you shouldn't attempt to give them any within the constraints of a radio call-in talk show.

Okay. I get it. You guys are right. Dr. Laura is a scourge on the face of America.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I actually talked with her once, and in my opinion, she should take a little more time with some callers. She wants to get through so many people, she doesn't take the time to always correctly find out what the problem is.

One of the biggest issues I have with her, is she believes that a mother and father should stay together no matter what for the childrens sake, unless their is violence. Even mental cruelity is not enough to divorce according to her.

I believe that the best situation is parents that get along and love each other, and have that family unit. But if the parents just are not getting along, I don't think that is best for the kids.

I speak from personal experience. My child is much happier with his mother and I split. Now, I have another child on the way with my new wife, and I am very excited, for now I am older, I know what I want and don't want, and so does my wife, and I am very excited to know that this child is going to grow up in a wonderful, happy home with his two parents.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Yeah, that's what the world needs -- more cheap dime-store "morality" crackling in the air around us!

Dedalus

So I gather that means you refuse to believe in "moral absolutes" and anything goes?? Does that also means all laws of morality sucks and you prefer to do anything you want w/o consequences whatsoever?

Yizuman

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Freedom:

I also spoke with her once. Actually that woman who screened her calls a few years ago, Carolyn Holt, was a beligerent, rude and nasty person to deal with. I know she has another person screening her calls now. I hope she's a bit nicer than the first person. But then that wouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish...

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    So if you are a morally sound individual you shouldn't ever go nude. And if you *do* go nude, you shouldn't go completely nude. Or have your picture taken.

I'm just saying its hard to take her seriously as a paragon of morality counselling when

a: Her doctorate is not even in counselling (its in phisiology)

b: She's got more Bush out there then the president, for anyone to look at on the net. She posed in the nude, in some sort of wierd 70's cheescake fashion, obviously to give men (or one man.. I dont know) something to wank off to. That's proof she's not proper motherly material, according to her own standards. I mean what if her son sees those pictures and gets aroused? I'm taking this by her views not mine. Yes Dr. Laura should give up her son for adoption. I can say these things with conviction since I briefly majored in chemistry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit