Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus

So, Herk, that's a no, you'd rather not have a serious discussion? That's okay. I thought you might be able to articulate an interesting opposing view, and I was genuinely interested in what your deeper perspective might be, but it's clear you don't understand a word I've written, and it'd be pointless to repeat myself. Your latest response was valiantly brash and bold, but also sadly vacuous (sort of like the person for whom this thread is named), and though you've tried to rouse me, I bear you no ill feelings. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Dedalus

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    She's got millions of listeners. Where are the statistics that show even one person has been harned by her advice

Well, lets take a theoretical situation - a person calls Dr.Laura - extremely depressed, etc. etc. etc. Without really knowing anything about the person, their true home life situation or mental stability she starts in on everything that's wrong with them. So, they hang up the phone, and kill themselves - can't say it doesn't happen, seems pretty plausible & how on earth would there be a statistic for it?

Dangerous business to be dealing out advice without any real professional training - mental illness is more common place than ever, and I think her type of advice is exceptionally dangerous. She spends alot of time lambasting her callers without having any knowledge of their reality.

• rocketman
    rocketman

All this non-talking and cutting off in Doc Laura's family.......sounds like a family of jws with a df'd member.

• herk
    herk

Blondie,

People are free to believe what they want to believe about the harm of listening to the radio, I suppose. While some of you have this somewhat mysterious dread of all the harm that's pouring forth from Dr. Laura, I choose to continue to give her my blessing. I just wish there were more like her on the air. I'm satisfied that millions of people see it as I do. Of course, there are other millions who see it as you do. Good, it's a free country and that's the way it ought to be. I just wish some of those on your side were a little less vicious with their statements against someone I consider to be a decent woman who's trying to do something good for the benefit of others.

• herk
    herk

Pettygrudger,

I think her type of advice is exceptionally dangerous.

That, I believe, is the crux of the matter. You have your opinion and some of us have a different opinion. You think she's dangerous and I think she's great. You can't point to a single person she's harmed, but you're convinced just the same that she ought to be banned. I've met people who rave about how wonderful she is and how much she's helped them with her advice. So the dispute goes on and on and on, with a great deal of maliciousness and bitterness, all due to mere opinions. I think it's a real circus.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Pettygrudger,

I have to say, I think your scenario is pretty unlikely. The closest thing I can think of that resembles it is the infamous murder that took place after a Jenny Jones episode, about, I dunno, eight years or so ago. And even there, there's no grounds for comparison. Jones was doing a lurid talk show exploiting sexually volatile situations for shock value. Dr. Laura is playing an entirely different game, still deplorable in my opinion, but probably not as immediately dangerous as you're making it out to be, at least not in the way you're suggesting.

Warm Fuzzies,

Dedalus

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you never suggested Dr. Laura should be "banned," did you?

• logansrun
    logansrun

A few comments on this thread:

First, if people are willing to call in to her show to get advice, so be it. In the end, it's the numbers that count (for her and the network). If she has the ratings, she should stay on. I think the same is true with Howard Stern, whom I'm a big fan of.

Second: I agree that her personal life has little, if anything, to do with her professional life. Theoretically, a person who gives great advice on family matters could be a total louse in their own home. Does that diminish their advice? In reality, no (although this might affect her credibility). I really have no opinion about her personal life.

Herk: I find your rants against "liberals" to be perplexing. Why? How do you feel about the liberal "agenda"? So, you think gays are diseased and anyone who engages in premarital sex sinning against the God of Abraham? Do you feel that a womans proper place is in the home? Come on. We're living in a post-Enlightenment world here.

Bradley

• herk
    herk

Deleted by poster

• teejay
    teejay

Herk,
    FWIW, although I haven't heard Dr. Laura's show in years and have no idea why so many rail against the poor woman, I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed your perspective on this topic.

tj ~ climbing back under his rock...

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Teejay,

Herk,
    FWIW, although I haven't heard Dr. Laura's show in years and have no idea why so many rail against the poor woman, I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed your perspective on this topic.

tj ~ climbing back under his rock...

I have thought for some time that you were a courageous person, your post above proves it!

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit