Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• herk
    herk

Dedalus,

You illustrate another problem liberals have, namely, your persecution complex. It's OK for you to dish out your attacks on persons who don't share your views, but woe to those who dare defend themselves or others that you've attacked. It's too bad you're so self-centred as to see yourself as the butt of what I said about Hitler. You mentioned Hitler first, and it just reminded me of how so many others have made that ridiculous comparison. You will note that I said "they" compare her with Hitler.

Herk

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

I used to enjoy listening to her radio program, until the story broke about her mothers death and she made the comment that she "died alone, like the they way she liked to live" She had not spoken to her own mother in years while at the same time pedeling relationship advice to others and making a fortune selling books about relationships.

Even if her mother prefered to live alone that gives her no reason not to "do the right thing" herself and call her mother every once in awhile.

I have never listented to her since, she is a hypocrite a fraud and worthless in my opinion.

• herk
    herk

BeelzeDub,

If you had read my post above about my own mother, I think you'd understand Dr. Laura's situation a whole lot better. It's easy to condemn when you haven't walked in the other person's shoes.

Herk

• logansrun
    logansrun

Herk,

I listened to her show all of two times, once due to the fact I was working in a woman's home who happened to be listening to her show. I've read enough about her and her views to form an opinion about her. Although you would probably categorize me as a "liberal" I actually hold some conservative viewpoints and am rather so in my general disposition.

Bradley

• Aztec
    Aztec
    You illustrate another problem liberals have, namely, your persecution complex

Gee herk, why don't you generalize some more?

~Az

• blondie
    blondie

Just a sidepoint. Dr. Laura has a sister. Her sister had no contact with the mother either. The mother had made no close contacts with her neighbors and evidently had no friends close enough to check up on her daily or every other day. It was fairly evident then from this that the mother had cut herself off from family and friends.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/04/09/schlessinger.death/

Yolanda Schlessinger, 77, was found dead in her Beverly Hills, California, condominium December 16. Neighbors said they had not seen her for as long as three months.

People either like Dr. Laura or they don't. I find the same dynamics with Rush Limbaugh. People either like him or they don't.

I think it is sad though that people have to call up someone on a radio show regardless of their credentials to get help living their lives. What can you learn in the few minutes they talk to you? I would rather see people get in contact with a professional in their area and spend the necessary time (more than a few minutes) to get help and have someone followup on their progress.

Blondie

• herk
    herk

Blondie,

You make some good points, but it baffles me why some here have such a problem with the existence of a phone-in radio show. These have existed for decades. It's part of the American way. Besides, some people just can't afford either the money or the embarrassment of visiting a therapist. If there was no value in phone-in programs and they ought to be cursed as Dr. Laura is being anathematized in this thread, then let's go further. Let's start railing against Dr. Brothers and Joy Brown and Ann Landers and her sister. No, let's do more--let's start denouncing the avenue of writing letters to newspaper editors. Or, how about getting rid of all newspapers, radio and TV stations that don't make the liberals happy? Good heavens! I thought it was bad the way JWs wanted everything "in the world" censored! But this thread deserves some sort of grand prize for that sort of thing.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    What can you learn in the few minutes they talk to you? I would rather see people get in contact with a professional in their area and spend the necessary time (more than a few minutes) to get help and have someone followup on their progress.

Exactly Blondie - and that's what makes people like her so extremely dangerous. People that perhaps couldn't afford counseling so they call her out of desparation - I can't imagine how many situations she could have totally screwed up in the 3 minutes (or less) that she gave any particular caller.

• herk
    herk

Pettygrudger,

that's what makes people like her so extremely dangerous.

She's got millions of listeners. Where are the statistics that show even one person has been harned by her advice. I'm telling you, you people have reached the depths of absurdity due to your loathing of another point of view.

so they call her out of desparation

So, what of it? Where's the harm? Isn't it better to get some advice rather than none at all? Has it now become harmful to call a neighbour for advice who had a problem similar to our own? Or must all people shut their mouths now because they don't measure up to the high standards being demanded in this thread?

This seems so similar to the WT standards: You can't understand the Bible unless you come to us. You shouldn't consult anybody else unless they meet with our approval.

• blondie
    blondie

herk, Dr. Laura has some value but I find it more entertainment than anything really therapeutic. All the others you mentioned have to be careful, as well as Dr. Phil. I know that Ann Landers and Dear Abby try to screen their letters and refer them to the proper professionals. Dr. Joy Brown and Dr. Brothers may have the credentials, but will readily admit themselves that they cannot possibly have the same relationship with people on the phone for a few minutes that they can one on one over a period of time.

People in the US want instant answers with little effort. Pop psychology can be dangerous. If all these people were to make sure to direct the caller to find further help in their area, I would find these radio talk show hosts more credible.

But I find these shows to be more entertainment than a serious avenue to therapeutic help.

Blondie (who used to listen to Dr. Laura every day when her schedule was different)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit