Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• herk
    herk
    she is ... very much guilty of hate speech and poor advice.

Just like a liberal. Always eager to label anything they don't agree with as "hate speech and poor advice." And yet, they start crying foul as soon as somebody identifies them as being liberals.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Just like a conservative..ready to label anything you disagree with as liberal!

~Az

• herk
    herk

Aztec,

Just like a conservative..ready to label anything you disagree with as liberal!

Right on! The difference is that our observation is correct whereas your eagerness to denounce others as purveyors of "hate speech" is more than a mere exaggeration.

Herk

• Aztec
    Aztec

Well Herk, when I disagree with something it is not necessarily because I think it is conservative or has a conservative agenda. You seem to be an all or nothing sort of person. I am not. I pick and choose from the best of the best ideas and make them my own.

~Az

• herk
    herk

Aztec,

I pick and choose from the best of the best ideas and make them my own.

I thought this was a serious discussion. When did it turn into a humour column?

Herk

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman
    I thought this was a serious discussion. When did it turn into a humour column?

Herk

When you started posting to it.

IW

• teejay
    teejay
    what if I say Martha Stewart is deviant?

Well, just between me and you.. Martha Baby is a freak! j/k

The definition of deviant can change very swiftly with the mores of the society in question. The society we live in is not necessarily one in which massive progeneration is key or even necessary. As the earth becomes a more crowded place fertility becomes less essential.

Agreed on both points, but that does not negate the rationale behind Dr. Laura's words (if they are in fact HER words). In many quarters homosexuality is *still* considered "deviant" behavior – especially in the Bible belt and other conservative areas.

Your point relative to the decreasing need for procreation is a good one, too, but then you're talking social and political aspects of the issue ... not biologic.

• herk
    herk
    When you started posting to it.

Ah, yes, another thing liberals are good at is being childish.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

People that perhaps couldn't afford counseling so they call her out of desparation - I can't imagine how many situations she could have totally screwed up in the 3 minutes (or less) that she gave any particular caller.

*Can't believe I'm about to defend Dr. Laura*

I remember quite clearly Dr. Laura declaring numerous times that her show is NOT therapy. People ask her opinion on a particular dilemma and she gives it. And I also remember her directing many people to more appropriate means if their problem seems to be related to more deeply seated issues.

I don't have a problem with people being critical of her. However, I'm willing to be fair in my opinions of her. Like I said before, the big change came after she converted to Judaism.

And here is the whole quote relating to homosexuals and biological errors:

BIOLOGICAL ERROR
    "I'm sorry, hear it one more time perfectly clearly: If you're gay or a lesbian, it's a biological error that inhibits you from relating normally to the opposite sex. The fact that you are intelligent, creative and valuable is all true. The error is in your inability to relate sexually intimately, in a loving way to a member of the opposite sex ­ it is a biological error."
    - Dr. Laura's Website, December 8, 1998

And this is my own opinion: Not every problem, or issue, needs months of professional therapy. Some situations are simple and can be simply dealt with.

Andee

• herk
    herk

Andee,

A great post! You hit on one word that, to me, says it all: "I'm willing to be fair in my opinions of her." That's what my argument comes down to. I see no fairness at all in cheap shots that accuse the woman of hate speech and that have labeled her everything from bitch to another Hitler.

Herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit