Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• herk
    herk

Dedalus,

Well, you do have your strong opinion. All I've got to add is that radio is radio. If you don't like listening to her, simply turn the dial. It's mighty easy to criticize. But in my view, a person deserves a lot of credit for taking a stand for something, whether I agree with him or her or not. The fact remains that thousands if not millions find her show beneficial. Call it entertainment, but entertainment has its place in educating the masses, for good or for bad. I find it pretty difficult to see how the common sense message she offers can be harmful. Comparing her to Hitler is a bit too much. But that's your view, and if it makes you happy, your welcome to it.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Wow Herk! You managed to completely miss the point! Dr. Laura does little more than offer vapid platitudes and banal advice designed for the masses in plebeian fashion. Anyone who needs to be spoon fed her brand of shmaltz really needs to get out a little bit more. Try listening to NPR once in a while.

~Aztec

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Dedalus said:

(not that I'm comparing Dr. Laura with Hitler, understand).

Then herk said:

Comparing her to Hitler is a bit too much. But that's your view, and if it makes you happy, your welcome to it.

Six says:

*shakes head, at a loss for words*

• herk
    herk

Sixofnine,

Hitler was popular with a lot of people too

If no comparison with Hitler was intended, why bring up his name in the same context?

Aztec,

Anyone who needs to be spoon fed her brand of shmaltz really needs to get out a little bit more. Try listening to NPR once in a while.

A long time ago I got tired of being spoon fed the liberal shmaltz that NPR dishes out every day. Some of you may like it. That's fine for you. Your brand of psychology might not approve of Dr. Laura, but there are reputable psychologists and psychiatrists who see nothing wrong with what the woman is doing. So try to allow the rest of us to have our preferences too. And while you're at it, try being a little less condescending.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Hitler was popular with a lot of people too

If no comparison with Hitler was intended, why bring up his name in the same context?

That is too f***ing stupid to dignify with an answer.

• herk
    herk

6 of 9,

Then why did you attempt to dignify it with your reply? Kinda stupid, no?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Glad you found my reply dignifying. I thought it was kind of crude, lol.

• Aztec
    Aztec
    So try to allow the rest of us to have our preferences too

Who's trying to stop you? I'm merely pointing out how poor your taste is. I don't listen to NPR either btw. I prefer Tom Leykis!

try being a little less condescending.

I wasn't being condescending. I was being a smartass!

~Aztec

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    Okay, but does it take an "expert" to see the importance of caring unselfishly for one's children? What's so amazing about that?

Never said she was an "expert" and or even remotely imply there was anything "amazing" about what she said or says.

Andee

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I listen to her as well (for sh*ts & giggles) - I have never met anyone on the radio who

#1 - doesn't actually understand the caller's problem before picking up the point that interests HER (i.e. the caller's calling regarding a problem with a spouse & instead gets a 2 minute tirade on why the caller works outside the home).

#2- I wouldn't take advise from any person that was so uncaring towards her own family that her own mother was found dead AFTER A MONTH by a neighbor due to odors! Yeah - this woman really understands family unity!

#3 - She definitely has issues with homosexuality.

#4 - She doesn't even support single mothers working outside the home - their kids shoulda been put up for adoption to "real families". She does seem to offer support & encouragement to single fathers though (hmm...a lady w/a hard-on perhaps)....except she believes that the fathers should NOT remarry unless the children are grown & gone.

She's pompous, arrogant & obviously a true moron on about "real" life outside her obviously luxurious comfortable lifestyle. Like to see her truly live in some of the more depressed urban areas for awhile, or even middle income families and then spout her moral righteousness. While I agree with her "do the right thing" approach - she obviously doesn't know what that is in a lot of cases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit