Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Great informative thread about why regular soap is so effective against fighting the virus and reminders about how it spreads.

Washing your hands and *not* touching your face are THE best things you can do to mitigate risk.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236549305189597189.html

• Simon
    Simon
    Buy some cheap vodka and dip your hands in it. If it kills liver cells it should kill some germs.

This doesn't work. You need 65% pure alcohol or better.

You should look for the pure cleaning alcohol or rubbing alcohol if you can't get hand-sanitizer.

One trick is to look for non-obvious sellers - where do you think you go to buy them? Shoppers? Costco? How about the Dollar store? I've seen empty hand-sanitizer shelves and full rubbing alcohol shelves next to them - my theory is that people maybe don't know it will be just as good (if not better).

• Simon
    Simon
    it would make good sense to wash your hands when you get home from doing things outdoors, such as working out of home, shopping whatever, until the known transmission of the virus is noted to be controlled

The problem is most people touch their face very 2 to 5 minutes - it takes effort to avoid it. Part of why a mask helps is that it stops YOU touching your mouth and nose. See the thread I posted above for how you get it on your hards from some surface and then infect yourself.

So yes, thoroughly wash your hands whenever you can with soap and water. While you can't, use hand sanitizer or alcohol spray. Keep them handy for coming back into "your space" (e.g. into your car).

• Simon
    Simon

Another interesting thread to read about how woefully underprepared our health systems are when it comes to basic supplies (face masks).

They had forewarning that this was coming - their job was to prepare for things like this and they haven't. We can't buy them now and we don't make them because we've outsourced vital supply chain to China. Guess who'll be getting the supplies? China! They have also bought up all stock of robotic UV cleaning machines that may be effective against the virus.

South Korea has drive through testing stations. Our health-care managers are shit.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236095180459003909.html

• TD
    TD

My theory is that people maybe don't know it will be just as good (if not better).

I think you're right.

Isopropyl off the shelf is a little harsh, but you can easily mix it with Aloe Vera gel (Another off the shelf item) and basically have a hand sanitizer comparable to what people are panic buying.

• Simon
    Simon

My full theory is that people that shop at Dollar stores probably have a higher chance of being at the lower end of the intelligence scale. Yes, I know *I* was in there ... but strategically looking for this exact thing for this exact reason.

They know they are supposed to buy "hand sanitizer" and when the shelf is empty they don't buy something even better, from the shelf right next to it, because it says "rubbing alcohol" and, well, that's not how you spell "hand sanitizer" is it?!?

The irony is you're in a store almost entirely surrounded with "made in China" crap, trying to find something to fight the crap that was made in China.

Isopropyl off the shelf is a little harsh

You soon get a taste for it though! (joke - please don't drink it)

• millie210
    millie210

A person can get Everclear from a liquor store to use as a sanitizer if need be.

Nice that we have a thread on this. Thanks Simon

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

After not being able to obtain hand sanitizer anywhere, I was determined to make my own from alcohol and aloe vera gel..

..I was then surprised to find an old purse size Purell in my car! The expiration date on the tube says 2017, but I squeezed some out and it’s still an alcohol smell so I guess it’s okay. When it runs out I’ll fill it with my own concoction.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Message on TV is " we " arent spreading panic. then they show the same clips of tents, stretchers, hazmat suits. List all the closures.

Let's burn all the clinics and sink cruise ships.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Just buy bleach and put a cup in a spray bottle with the rest water and it will kill all things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit