The Outing of Faders Rears Its Ugly Head Again

by zed is dead 178 Replies latest members private

• Simon
    Simon

The other insidious thing in all this is that the whole "they are just volunteers, we can't control them, nothing to do with us" excuse for any misbehavior by representatives is exactly what the WTS claims.

Is the AAWA's goal to copy them completely and out-do them?

It's a little like "Conway's Law" ... if the WTS org is all people have known then there is a danger that any organization they create will reproduce the same structures, patterns and behavior.

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

Ahahahahaha. Wow. I don't post here or really on any ex-JW boards much anymore, but given what happened a year ago, I was curious once I heard echoes of some juicy AAWA scandal being mentioned in passing. Even more so when I heard it was JBD back to her old tricks (for reference see: me, Besty, and about half of the ex-JW community she force-added to the FB group).

I noticed that after the previous scandal that she changed her name from "Julia Barrick Douglas" to "Julia Douglas" on all of her social media and AAWA's official page, probably because all of her top Google search results were about her screwing people over. :-\

This is psychotic. I don't know the chain of events, but frankly, I don't care what Beth Shan did or did not do to upset her, or whether JBD somehow felt wronged by Beth for any real or perceived reason. When you're a representative of a "professional" organization (ha), then you have zero right to divulge any personal and confidential data you have access to as a result of your position. Talk about an abuse of power. Her mom died and she's stressed? Boo-freaking-hoo. See if that protects you from a lawsuit. I'm assuming she refers to Beth's mother because Beth's mother is a JW and Beth is not "out" yet? So because your mother died, you think you have an excuse to abuse your power and irreparably fuck with somebody's entire LIFE and separate them from THEIR mother? No. Nope nope nope.

From what Beth says, it sounds like AAWA has chosen to repeat the same assertion as last year (well, actually, first they lied and tried to cover it up, then failing that, they went with Option B): "We can't control what our volunteers do." This didn't hold water then, and it doesn't now. Julia Barrick Douglas is listed on their About page as their sole "head of social media". STILL. Even after that. That's not just a "volunteer". She holds an actual position. She has access to sensitive data. She's not just some random member of their FB group going rogue. She RUNS the Facebook group. She acts in an OFFICIAL CAPACITY on AAWA's behalf, despite the fact that she is clearly unstable and not fit to hold such a position. She has pulled this stunt so many times at this point, she has no business being entrusted with personal data of such a sensitive nature. And clearly she was aware that what she was doing was absolutely unacceptable, because after sicc-ing her followers on Beth Shan and trying to destroy her life, she tells them "don't reveal your source" (which is her). Never mind that she's the shittiest social media director EVER if she thinks she can post something like that on FACEBOOK, of all places, and expect that she won't get caught. She hasn't learned anything since last year. She's still lying and asking others to lie for her and cover up her bad behavior.

Oh, and P.S., that mealymouthed "apology" is the most half-assed thing I've ever seen. No personal apology to Beth. Posted on some random FB acquaintance's wall, where few people will ever see it. And she apologizes for "being stressed" and "causing divisions". No. Unacceptable. How about, in all official AAWA forums (website, message boards, social media sites, etc.) "I am sorry for abusing my position. I am sorry for divulging personal data. I am sorry for trying to ruin somebody's life and relationship with her family FOREVER. I am sorry for trying to cover it up. I have no business holding this position and I am resigning. I realize that I have serious instability issues if I am willing to irretrievably harm an internet acquaintance to this extent and am seeking professional help." And barring that, AAWA should fire her ass. And then apologize for (again) their poor judgment in allowing somebody with a proven track record of this shit to hold this position and have access to that data, along with a Corrective Action Plan of how they will prevent this from recurring. But oh yeah, silly me. That's not gonna happen. That's what an ACTUAL professional organization would do. Not a bunch of random yahoos playing "nonprofit" like they have any clue what it means to be an executive, or on a board of directors.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Maybe AAWA will send JBD down to New Orleans, to live out her days in obscurity? It worked for the WT with Leo Greenlees. And they do like to copy their behavior!

zed

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Rippy,

Just go on hiatus for a while. I know when you are emotionally involved it can be stressful. Just chill for a while.

zed

• Beth Shan
    Beth Shan

Julia just resigned from AAWA.

Everytime I see someone type "what is AAWA" on Fb I lolz.

EDITED to add: We don't know if this is even a "real" apology

• venetian
    venetian

Happy now?

FFS get over it. Boring.

• Beth Shan
    Beth Shan

Lol. It's fascinating stuff. Look at all the views on the post silly.

• venetian
    venetian

Yeah, pack mentality at its best silly. Well done you achieved your aim.

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

Hahaha, she resigned this morning, or tried to...she posted her resignation on an ex-JW Facebook group, but it was deleted immediately. A few people screencapped it, though:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=336041119906081&set=p.336041119906081&type=1

It's just as mealymouthed as her "apology" to unnamed people she may or may not have wronged. It was a "mistaaaaake" and a "laaaaaapse" and she's "already apologiiiiiiiized" and she's falling on her sword to protect AAWA, blah blah. She's always been completely transparent about her "lapse"! (Except when she told her followers not to reveal that she was the source of Beth's information. Or a year ago when she lied about being the one who mass-added people to the FB group, compromising their privacy, and then outed/threatened to out people who called that on being a lie.)

Yeah, gawd, she "apologized", why can't everybody just leave it alone already and stop being meany poo-heads about it? Um, because it wasn't a mistake or a lapse. It was a repeated pattern of behavior and a crime. I currently work in a large medical company whose clients are a huge percentage of California residents. I have access to the databases with client information. Just about every personal identifier you could think of is stored here. Doubtless I have access to information on people I dislike, or who have wronged me in the past. Am I going to use my access to go dig up that information and use it to harm them? No. Because that would be a crime. I would be fired, and then (rightfully) sued into oblivion. My employer would also be sued into oblivion, for not properly vetting and supervising me and what I was doing with the information I have access to. It would be the same story if I was a volunteer or a temp with this company. They are still responsible for what I do with the information they give me access to, whether I'm being paid or not. You think a court would care if I cried that I just overreacted and had a "lapse" in judgment because my parent died a couple of months ago? No. No, they wouldn't.

I exchanged PMs last night with a semi-apologist (although after our conversation, he seemed to be viewing the situation in a slightly different light) who's been in contact with Richard Kelly the past couple of days over this. Richard Kelly is (of course) claiming that Julia is not and has never been a representative of AAWA. As of this morning, she is STILL listed on their "about" page as the head of social media, in their phrasing, "responsible for AAWA’s presence on social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter, and handles the administration of AAWA’s various online groups." She has administrated their Facebook page from the very beginning, when they launched. Not to mention, exactly what is Julia "resigning" from if she was supposedly never a representative in the first place? Just more lies from AAWA leaders. We've seen this over and over again. When backed into a corner, and given the opportunity to fix it and do the right thing, they LIE instead. Who gives a crap if she is resigning so that they won't be attacked? They don't deserve to be protected. She has a pattern of this behavior, they knew it, and they let it happen. It has now not only affected Beth Shan, but other family members as well, and those effects can never been undone (see what her sister posted on FB today):

Thanks for reporting my sister. Those are my parents too. Thanks for telling everyone where they live and to do what they wish with that information. Thanks for stealing my pic off my husband's profile without my, his, or my sister's consent and using it to out my sister. Thanks for not cropping me out. Shame on me for our friendship, which is the only reason you were friends with my husband in the first place. Report me. Go ahead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit