A comet coming to end the world? Useful information?

by EntirelyPossible 177 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    When we are killed by them it means we have failed to properly prepare for them. - Sab

Sab - the Asian tsunami wiped out a quarter of a million people around the Pacific Rim, most of them knew nothing about it until the wave hit their shores with an energy you can't begin to imagine.

To assume there are disasters of which are unavoidable gives God a bad name...that would be cruel and unjust.

I agree.

• tec
    tec

This has been the theme of dozens of end-time movies. I don't buy it. Emergency preparadeness agencies work hard to give as much notice as possible. There's plenty that people can do on their own to prepare.

To prepare for what?

If there is nothing that will stop the end of the world, nothing that anyone would be capable of surviving to begin with, then I think they would keep THAT quiet, at least as long as they could.

Peace,

tammy

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

God has earned his bad name.

zed

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sab - the Asian tsunami wiped out a quarter of a million people around the Pacific Rim, most of them knew nothing about it until the wave hit their shores with an energy you can't begin to imagine.

The more technology humanity discovers the more effective the warning systems we develop. Therefore it was always in humanity's best interests to cooperate so that lives could be saved. Science has always been impeded by human selfishness. Many will want to say it was belief in God which hindered progress, but that's an act of selfishness in itself. Such an idea will continue to create prejudice and hinder progress which will result in more loss of life. Without coexistence we all lose. If you take a good look at all of the world's religions you will see they all essentially say the same thing. Therefore it's something else besides religious ideology that divides us. It's selfishness which manifests through racism and general prejudice. What if we decided to get along from the beginning instead of distrust and kill each other? No matter what tribe you are from you still love your family and friends. We have always been exactly alike, but that fact has been slowly eroded over time. Since we no longer even know what we started with, we have no idea how much potential we truly have. Don't build on sand, build on a rock. Excellent advice.

-Sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Emergency preparadeness agencies work hard to give as much notice as possible. There's plenty that people can do on their own to prepare.

This needs to be stressed over and over. 100% spot on, jgnat.

• cofty
    cofty
    The more technology humanity discovers the more effective the warning systems we develop. - Sab

So how do you get your god off the hook for millions of deaths in previous centuries? Are you going to play the "willful ignorance, AKA god can't see you" defense?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Call me optimist, but I believe there is always something that can be done.

"....[in 1880 the issue] futurologists addressed was the following: “What will New York City look like in 1980?” The consensus was that by year 1980 New York City would not exist anymore. The reason, according to the futurologists, was that to move the ever increasing population of New York in 100 years, 6,000,000 horses would have been needed, and the problems created by the manure would have been impossible to deal with!"

http://sirolli.blogspot.ca/2009/01/very-big-load-of-horse-manure-and-next.html

We have new ways to collaborate, and private enterprise entering the space race. Couldn't the ingenuity and enterprise of millions of people find a way?

• AGuest
    AGuest

Forgive me, dear Sab (again, peace to you!): I did not discern that God was the subject of our discussion. Indeed, based on how you and others framed your questions, I purposefully left God OUT of the discussion. Are we now applying these hypotheticals to God... Christ... and/or TRUE prophets? If so, I don't really feel comfortable discussing the details of that here, sorry. And so, again, if you want to discuss further from THAT point of view, we will need to do so elsewhere, perhaps somewhere where we can do so without the unnecessary snark and ridicule. Here, though, it's highly unlikely we would get too far without great... and very puerile... interruption and interjection. I don't want to dishonor the discussion in that way. So... if you wish to continue from THAT point of view... well, you know where to find me. Now, I don't care that some here might still be able to SEE what we discuss elsewhere - I just care that they won't be able to COMMENT in their usual manner... while we do.

For instance, like this:

Peace in no way requires anyone to accept, agree or put up with your posts, personal attacks or opions...

Wait... was it not YOU who "personal[ly] attacked" my daughter?? Why? She has nothing to do with this discussion, or even this board. I didn't attack YOUR children - that would be reprehensible. Come off it, EP - you're a nasty piece of work... and have NO bounds... when you're... mmmmmm... "hurting." If we all wait long enough (or if your posting limit holds out), we will all see just how "much" you're "hurting" today.

you dishonestly claim as fact.

I've stated NOTHING dishonestly. Now, if you're not savvy as to what yak hair is often used for these days... how is that MY fault? You keep sticking your tongue into matters that you have NO knowledge of. And you KNOW you don't. You just can't stand it that others DO know some things YOU don't. Which is VERY painful for you, for some reason (well, the reason is that you think you're smart... and you are... but not as smart as you think you are... which was fomented by your comparing your "intelligence" with the sundry JW's... and often finding theirs' "wanting"... but sometimes, one can be TOO smart for one's own good... which is the case with YOU... which is WHY you're hurting...) which makes you... "hurt"... and self-medicate to mitigate the "pain." I FEEL you, son, I DO. And... your "pain."

Sorry, dear Sab. Had to get that out. Again, though, if you truly want to discuss this from more than a hypothetical, we truly will have to do it elsewhere. Here is not a good place for it. Peace.

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Wait... was it not YOU who "personal[ly] attacked" my daughter??

No one attacked your daughter in any way. It's a shame you feel that way, but your hurt feelings are based on an error in your thinking.

I've stated NOTHING dishonestly.

Not in the past 30 seconds, anyway. Otherwise, yes. All the time.

I really am not reading most of what you write. While I appreciate your need to respond to me with long, loquacious posts, I have things to do and it really isn't worth my time to read it all. If it feels I am just hitting the highlights and catching the most obvious of the BS, it's because that is exactly what I am doing.

Have a pleasant day.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    So how do you get your god off the hook for millions of deaths in previous centuries? Are you going to play the "willful ignorance, AKA god can't see you" defense?

You keep saying I am being willfully ignorant, but don't really give any compelling reasoning. When people die, there are always reasons and they stretch far back in time. The reason FOR death itself is ancient which means it's not going to just jump out at us. We have had to literally dig into the past to discover the purpose of suffering. If you look at suffering from a surface level you will see no rhyme or reason. Yet, when you persevere in that search despite reason not to you will eventually find the truth. That suffering is humanity's err and God is keeping us around in order to restore us to our original state which transcends suffering (not erring). How exactly that takes place is not completely understood, but we have a lot of data. We must stay on our quest of discovery.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit