Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Chariklo said: They will screw up your brain by quoting from the Bible to "prove" that they are right.

This is important to remember. It is easy to get caught up and think "They answer all of my questions right from the Bible!" This is especially easy if you are not a deep Bible student. Keep these things in mind:

1. They have their own version of the Bible. They kept WHO translated the Bible HIDDEN. Why? A former member of their governing body wrote a book and released the names of those that "translated" their Bible. It was men that had little to no knowledge of biblical Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic. Many were high school dropouts. Their main "scholar" was a college dropout that, when asked to translate something before court, admitted that he did not know how to translate. Here is a partial transcript of that hearing: http://www.witness-outreach.com/Walsh.html

2. The scriptures they use were altered in their Bible. Compare Hebrews 1:8 in any other translation to theirs. Do the same with John 1:1. All reference to Jesus divinity has been removed and words added to take away from His authority.

3. They only know how to use "proof texts". What this means is that they do not know how to interpret the Bible. They will jump from one verse to another without considering the context, culture, history, etc of each passage. They will read a verse, jump to another, and jump to another, making it appear that they have a large knowledge of the Bible. Don't be fooled.

• Kate82
    Kate82

Again thanks for all your comments.

Just out of interest referencing what 'sickandtired' posted. U said JW prayed morning, before meals in the kindom hall and at night time.

Can i give me an example of that. Is it like grace in the term "we thank u god for this food we are about to eat..."

I really had no idea that it was a cult and so controlling. Can someone please tell me more about being controlled what to wear and how to look... i mean i am 29 not bad looking, does it mean no make up head covered etc dowdy looking etc...

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "I am a very shy person and am a bit worried about what you all will think of me. I have always been shy and never made friends easily because of that. I am currently suffering depression.
    So the other week i had a couple of JW's knock at the door. I was frajile and let myself listen to them. I have always been an honest person and told them i was depressed / finding life difficult they were so understanding and told me how good my life could b.
    I also like the thought of a disaplined lifestyle and being closer to god. ..." Katie82, page #3

Oh, Katie...

That is exactly the sort of person that they are seeking!!

The message that the Watchtower has framed, automatically appeals to people who are struggling, who feel that they don't "fit in", who feel that life hasn't quite given them the satisfaction that others seem to be capable of obtaining.

[All the comments I've seen on this thread, so far, are wonderful! But I would draw your attention especially to the comments JWB posted towards the bottom of HIS post on page 1, and Blues Brother posted EXCELLENT links in his post on page 2. Also, Chariklo and Tylinbrando's posts on page 2 are WELL worth reviewing - SEVERAL TIMES. As are Popper's comments, rather-be-in-hades and sick-and-tired on page 3...]

Others have already covered these points, but I want to emphasize that, in exchange for making you - or any potential convert - feel "better" about themselves, the Watchtower Society will ask that you:

Acknowledge their "Governing Body" members as THE ONLY "mediator" between YOU and 'jesus christ/god jehovah', with an unfortunate emphasis on the authority of the Governing Body members over the words of the other two....

Along with that, they will "allow" you to question their beliefs, without castigation or consequences, BEFORE you are baptised; but if you question their beliefs AFTER baptism, you will be told to "wait upon jehovah" and that the "light keeps getting brighter". Once you are baptised, you will be expected to OBEY the Governing Body's edicts, with little to no recourse if you feel dissatisfied with any teachings you come to disagree with.

Cut off ALL associations with ANYone who is NOT a Jehovah's Witness.

Avoid ALL involvement with ANY governmental activity [you cannot VOTE, for example - and they're very 'iffy' about jury service...], ALL involvement with ANY form of charitable activities - except, of course, adding to THEIR coffers - the Watchtower Society/Corporation is currently worth around 3 billion dollar$$$$$...

Avoid any and all forms of higher education - if you have not already gotten a college education, you will be discouraged from obtaining further education...

Even advancement at your place of work is discouraged...

Hope this helps...

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "I really had no idea that it was a cult and so controlling. Can someone please tell me more about being controlled what to wear and how to look... i mean i am 29 not bad looking, does it mean no make up head covered etc dowdy looking etc..." Katie82, page #4

Here's a link discussing their dress-code requirements just to VISIT their headquarters in Brooklyn, New York.

Take a look thru the thread, especially at the photos and illustrations depicting the type of dress that they consider UNacceptable, and see what you think.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/155042/1/Dress-Grooming-for-visiting-Bethel-scans-inside11-LOL

• ziddina
  • Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

You're being actively recruited into a doomsday cult. The recruitment period into a cult can be likened to a "honeymoon" phase. The group's members will make you feel welcomed and accepted; they've been trained to act this way. You really should read as much as you can about cults and cult recruitment tactics. Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan is a great book that will give insight into what you'll be experiencing if you continue allowing the Watchtower recruiters to pull you into their isolated little world.

The Watchtower representatives will claim they're not trying to recruit you, that they only want to share teachings from the Bible with you, that's a lie. The structure of the door to door work is designed to make people become members. You will be taught that only the group has "truth". You'll eventually be told to isolate yourself from those outside the group because they're in the "world" and bad association. You'll eventually be told that only people inside the group will survive an impending judgment from God. They'll eventually tell you that this judgment day is coming soon, and you must go door to door recruiting new members in order to earn your way into paradise.

http://www.howcultswork.com/

Please for your own sake as well as your loved ones (cults often require that loved ones must be recruited as well) research as much as you can about the Watchtower organization. jwfacts.com is fantastic resource for anyone wanting to learn what the Jehovah's Witnesses really teach.

http://www.jwfacts.com/

Most Jehovah's Witnesses are decent people; it's a misconception to think that someone in a religious cult is a bad person or somehow unintelligent. Most of the members were born into the group, they can't escape unless they're willing to lose their family and "friends" still in the group. After recruitment into the group there is no way to honorably leave, those who try to walk away peacefully are slandered as being influenced by Satan or gross sinners. Maintaining a relationship with someone who walks away from the group is forbidden, even family members. The group will become your new family; the group members will become your new brothers and sisters. But this sense of family and belonging will be removed the instant you question the leadership of the group. Anyone that doesn't show complete obedience to the group and the unique doctrines of the group are judged as being bad association and undeserving of God's protection at Armageddon.

Eventually you'll be taught that the men who run the religion have been chosen by God, and to question these men is equivalent to questioning God himself. These men on the Governing Body who run the religion get to decide what's "truth" and how the Bible should be interpreted. Disagreeing with these imperfect men and their interpretation of scripture will get you disfellowshipped. As a new recruit into the group you're free to ask as many questions as you want, once fully recruited into the group this freedom is stripped from you. After the recruitment process, openly questioning the leaders of the group will get you marked by other obedient members as "spiritually weak", and you'll be threatened with expulsion.

Take your time and fully research this apocalyptic group. The rabbit hole goes very, very deep.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Can someone please tell me more about being controlled what to wear and how to look... i mean i am 29 not bad looking, does it mean no make up head covered etc dowdy looking etc...

It's more than just what to wear and how to look. But some small examples are this: Men are not allowed to have beards because the WT views it as dirty. Women must be very careful that their skirts are not too short. You MUST dress up fully when coming to the Kingdom Hall. Men are not allowed to give talks without a jacket and a tie. Long hair for men is not allowed. A good clean 1950's haircut is preferred. Slits are not recommended for women and if someone has one, it must be very short. Earings are allowed, but other piercings or tattoos are not. The overall theme is that it is all about APPERENCE. The outside is the most important part.

About prayer, they are VERY formal about it. It is not about having a close relationship in prayer. You will never hear someone come up to you at a Kingdom Hall and ask to pray with you. Prayer is used to open and close meetings or open and close Bible studies. They MUST end every prayer with "We pray in Jesus name, Amen". They don't know what this means other than that it is sort of like a "stamp" on an envelope, to make sure that the prayer gets to God. Yes, they pray before every meal.

The term "Grace" is NOT used with Jehovah's Witnesses. They do not understand the Christian concept of Grace. They prefer the term "Undeserved Kindness." According to them, we must do works to earn our salvation. They claim that we cannot EARN it, but they teach that if we do not do the works that the Watchtower prescribes, we will not make it into God's New System (aka paradise earth, new world, etc...)

Head coverings are used in certain situations. If a woman is with a baptized JW man, she must wear a head covering if she is teaching another student. The Watchtower is extremely sexist in that it does not allow women to teach. You will see this at their meetings. Women can only do demonstration type talks where they talk to another woman, lest it appear that they are trying to teach a man *gasp*.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...Head coverings are used in certain situations. If a woman is with a baptized JW man, she must wear a head covering if she is teaching another student. The Watchtower is extremely sexist in that it does not allow women to teach. ..." Christ Alone, just above on page #4

Oooh! OOOOOH!!!

If you want to see "cult" mentality in action, ASK YOUR RETURN VISIT TO BRING ALONG A BAPTISED BROTHER on her next "visit".

Then ask HER to teach you!

See if she whips out some sort of "head covering", due to that edict that Christ Alone mentioned! [Of course, they might choose NOT to, since that might give YOU the "wrong impression", to start with...]

• Nambo
    Nambo

Ziddina mentioned it, and I will mention it again.

"Friendship with the world is emnity with God", the JWs view the "World" as everyone not a JW.

You think you are lonely now, wait until you find you can have NO FRIENDS, except other JWs.

As a single woman, that means you will get to see other people at the meetings or when you go knocking on peoples doors, now and then you might be invited to a Witnesses house for dinner, but dont count on it, married Sisters will view you as a threat, you will join a great number of other single sisters that will far outweigh the number of single Brothers that are available, and they will be going for the younger sisters anyway.

This means, you will commit yourself to a lonely life of spinster-hood.

And when that lovely young man at work invites you to go for a meal, you will have to say no, because you will belive that is what God wants, instead you will go home to be alone and cry at how your life has gone by and you have been left behind.

I know because it has happened to me, I turned away countless gorgeous Women who asked me out, but I was "faithfull" to this organisation and now I reap my reward of being too old now to ever find Love and can look forward to a wasted life and then dying alone.

Finding God however, is a good thing, though hes not a Genie in a bottle who will grant you a wonderfull life right now.

The JWs do not have a copyright on God, you can buy a Bible, read it again and again, you can pray to ask God to be your friend, you can say "Grace" yourself at home, then maybe join a dating site or something and find a good Spiritual man, not religious, Spiritual, tell him you are shy and need bringing out of yourself.

You dont need the Witnesses to find God, in fact they will turn you away from him,

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Last winter a deaf sister visited the Kingdom Hall. Another sister knew sign language and interpreted the meeting for her.

She had to wear a head covering because she was relaying the words of a man.

The rules are every bit as exacting as that.

If even a young boy is speaking or leading the prayers, or giving instructions, every sister, even anyone very expeirenced, or very educated, or even his mother, must obey him. Unquestioningly. Following his lead.

Because he is male.

Does that sound sensible or even sane to you? Do you think that is anywhere close to what God wants and what Jesus taught?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit