Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Kate,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. It sounds terrifying. I send you hugs.

We are each on a spiritual journey. Each of our journeys are different. I believe people have a carnal and a spiritual side. As we go through life's turmoils, it helps to have a faith to explain the part of our world that is a mystery. I think it's very important to allow someone to explore their religious thinking.

But for me, the Jehovah's Witnesses were not the answer. I was raised in it. It's love offerred was very false. It was based on one's performance in the group and ability to conform to the group's norm. Yes, we were taught to shower newcomers with affection, alot of it. But, once they were baptised, we were told to stop the onslaught of affection and warned that the newbie might be using us. Then, if someone started to disagree with the group's thinking (even if they dressed a little off), then the group really goes to great distance to distance itself from the errant person. And, if you reject a Watchtower's point on a subject, your risk feared elder's meetings and your new found friends will shun you.

As I left the Jehovha's Witnesses, I found North Point Community Church in Atlanta. http://northpoint.org is where you can watch the sermons. It was very different from the JWs, and I enjoyed it immensly. Its message focused each week on a few lines from Jesus, and explored them in great depth as to the time and history in which he spoke it and relayed it to today's life. I found this refreshing, as opposed to jumping around the Bible to make it say what the Watchtower wanted, predicting doomsday, and required obediance to the Watchtower Organization. I hope you give North Point a shot. While I am no longer call myself a follower of Christianity, I do respect the wisdom behind Jesus's word and find his message to be love and foregiveness.

Skeeter

• happy@last
    happy@last

Hi Kate, there is no easy fix that any of us can give you, however the encouragement that has been given you in this thread might just save your life. Keep your eyes wide open with the choices you make in your life, don't hand over your life to anyone or an organisation without thinking about the consequences. I do not believe god is calling you, you have had a real shock in your own belief system with your recent seizure, but don't worry, get the medical help you need, and live your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit