Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Heaven
    Heaven

... and Scientology is right out as well.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I have always been a person who needed to feel loved and have people around me. Maybe i am like someone said "an easy target for the jw's"

Yes you are . . . "low-hanging fruit" is a popular analogy. But don't feel embarrassed . . . many of us were low hanging fruit at one time.

Another control tactic employed early on . . . is to alert you to receiving opposition and to say that this is expected . . . because Satan does not want you to have the truth. It creates a clever and powerful bias in you, toward any contrary or dissuasive influence. Don't fall for it . . . question everything.

High-control religions are not healthy for anyone grappling with depression. Stats are disputed, but rates of mental illness and suicide are significantly higher (at least 500% by some stats) among JW's and ex-JW's, than the general pop. It's simply not healthy living.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

The word and meaning of grace is not in the JW bible. Instead it says 'exercise faith'. They do this to support a salvation by works theology.

If you mean do they pray... Yes they do, but you will hear them thank big J for the faithful slave and 'spiritual food' every prayer, and just a token mention of Jesus, as in "we pray through your son Christ Jesus."

If a legalistic rule system that controls members by fear and guilt that will hide the true meaning of the scriptures sounds good to you, by all means become a JW. If not, don't walk away...

RUN

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I haven't commented on this thread because I try really hard to respect each person's right to believe as they choose, even if I don't agree or think it's a bit wacky. I think it's possible to become a JW and live a relatively okay life. Many of my family members have done it. They are content in their ignorance. The religion has met their needs.

But, Kate82, I'm also a mental health professional. And I've seen so much damage caused by the kind of cult think that JW's promote. I've lost my family and my friends because I chose a different belief. My daughters are all messed up because of the JW religion. So I guess I would say... if you plan on staying with the religion for the rest of your life...if you plan on never breaking any rules...if you are okay with the fact that you may have to one day reject your own children because they choose to leave the religion...then you may be okay becoming a JW. Maybe it will meet a need inside you. Maybe it will work for you.

I was born in. I had no choice. I lost so much when I left. I'm glad you are looking at all sides of the picture before making a decision. Even if you do decide to join - I hope you will always keep an open, critical mind and not be afraid to question or leave if things don't work. Good luck, Kate82.

• Kate82
    Kate82

I am so greatful for all your comments.

Just wondering if there any active "brothers or sisters" out there who could give reasons for joining "the witnesses" or reasons why u joined??

Just wanna weigh up both sides.

Thanks

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Dear Kate,

Please would you read the thread I started earlier today? It might throw even more light on it.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/240186/1/More-disfellowshippings

truly, this is not a good organisation to join. Sorry, I can't work out how to make this link clickable this evening, as I'm on my iPad, and great though it is, it does have its limitations.

• kassad84
    kassad84

Hi Kate,

The JWs are generally advised against going through these forums and sites for fear of being corrupted by 'apostate' leanings. Better safe than never. And so if you want to get to know them, you must do so at the Kingdom halls. They are a good bunch of people. But the problem is not the regular JWs themselves, the problem is who they follow and the concept formulated a long time ago that's being followed. The problem is at its core in Brooklyn, their governing body. They are all following them unquestionably (maybe as blindly as Germany to the Nazis in WW2). They regard them as having divine authority as being brothers of Christ. This claim should merit additional investigation because of its enormity, but most of them didn't do so when joining, including me.

All the best,

Kassad

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Just wondering if there any active "brothers or sisters" out there who could give reasons for joining "the witnesses" or reasons why u joined??" Kate82, page #5, post #8

[I posted page and post #, just 'cause it was so EASY!! only a few posts by Kate... ]

Anyway....

Kate, you WILL be getting that information - from the Jehovah's Witnesses who've contacted you. As soon as you receive another "return visit" - and another one, and another one, and then are offered a bible study - or perhaps you've already been offered a bible study...

At that point, they will give you ALL KINDS OF REASONS to become a Jehovah's Witness.

Those reasons will include:

Pleasing Jehovah [which according to THEM, can ONLY be done through THEIR organization]...

Getting to live 'forever' in a "paradise earth" [which according to THEM, can ONLY be done through THEIR organization]...

Avoiding the danger of being 'destroyed' by Jehovah at his "Great Day of Armageddon" [which according to THEM, can ONLY be done through THEIR organization]...

Living a scripturally moral, upright life [which according to THEM, can ONLY be done through THEIR organization]...

Eventually, if you "advance" in your bible study - that is, show yourself to be a willing participant and likely to 'convert', they will also include:

Having the "opportunity" to go "out in service" proselytising to convert OTHERS to become Jehovah's Witnesses...

Avoiding "Satan's snares™ ", such as, engaging in normal activities as a citizen of the United States - or any other country in which you reside; giving money or time to ANY charity, other than the Watchtower Society or Jehovah's-Witnesses-proselytising; going to college, or going back to college to improve your level of education; seeking or accepting a promotion at work; dating "worldly" men - or worse yet, MARRYING one; having "worldly" friends - under their rules, you cannot even be good friends with your neighbors!!!

And still more of "Satan's snares™ " according to them: Celebrating ANY "worldly" holidays, like Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's day, 4th of July, Memorial day, Arbor day - yes, according to the Jehovah's Witnesses, even "Arbor" day is suspect, having "pagan" origins that go back to Celtic tree worship... ACCEPTING any gifts given in the spirit of ANY of the afore-mentioned holidays...

Also: Learning ANY of the languages in which the bible was written; doing ANY of your OWN research into the origins and accurate translations of the bible; going into ANY other place of worship besides a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall; visiting ANY websites or reading ANY material critical of Jehovah's Witnesses; going to a "worldly" person's bridal shower; even the types of MUSIC that you listen to and the types of MOVIES that you want to view, will be vetted and occasionally CENSORED by the Watchtower Society...

Uh, I think I've covered points that have been mentioned before - by others...

Do you want your life to be severely curtailed, Kate82??? Because that is what they will draw you into - very gently, very "lovingly", they will ensnare you with "love-bombing" until you feel OBLIGATED to follow their edicts.

And the "love-bombing" will taper off, once you're baptised. Then you will spend your time trying to recapture those heady times when EVERYONE in the Kingdom Hall appeared "happy" to see you.

You'll be told to "put in more time in service; your 'unhappiness' is simply "Satan" trying to draw you away from "THE TRUTH™ ". You'll PUT in the time, but you'll NEVER regain that state of "love-bombing"; you'll be left running on a 'hamster wheel' hamster wheel , vainly trying to regain the "love" and "approval" that you THOUGHT you had, when you first joined.

It's a nasty psychological trap.

Don't fall into it.

Your life would be better, if you learned to resolve your problems WITHOUT leaning on a cult for assistance!!

• cedars
    cedars

Kate82

Just wondering if there any active "brothers or sisters" out there who could give reasons for joining "the witnesses" or reasons why u joined??

You won't really hear both sides of the argument on this website, because the Governing Body is adamant that regular JWs should NOT use the internet to do research on their beliefs or visit websites that criticize JW teachings for any reason. They have specifically instructed their followers not to engage in discussion with so-called "apostates" on forums such as this. That itself should tell you something about the cult-like nature of Jehovah's Witnesses. Believers are not allowed to question their faith. If they do so repeatedly and openly, they will branded an "apostate" and be disfellowshipped and shunned by friends and family. Think very carefully about this before taking things further with the Witnesses.

Cedars

• ziddina
    ziddina

Excellent points, Cedars...!

I think that Katie82 has left the board for a few days, again...

I hope that she's successfully dealing with her depression.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit