Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

2 Books:

Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan. He demonstrates how to decipher dangerous mind control techniques. He never names Jehovah's Witnesses in his book, so he doesn't "have it out for them", so to speak. He was in a mind control group himself and knows the psychology behind what makes such groups effective, and how to spot them.

Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz. He was on the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, the highest position in the org. He had insight into what took place behind closed doors. Interestingly, he was never sued for libel.

jwfacts.com works for many, as already mentioned.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I hate to bring this up...

But Kate has only posted 1 comment.

Perhaps she's shy; perhaps the JW she's studying with, has warned her against reading ANYTHING that is not Watchtower-Approved ™...

I greatly fear that we won't see her on this board, again...

I hate to be the skeptic, but I think the OP is a prank meant to excite everyone here . . .

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Kate82, please don't go down that road. Do thorough research, especially on the sites others have recommended. Read Crisis of Conscience. Becoming a jw is absolutely one of the biggest regrets of my life. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE TRUTH!!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Tylinbrando and JWB -- please don't cut and paste those huge documents. They are probably why Kate hasn't replied, don't you think? It's much better to cite the link and one or two points from the articles. Then if people want to read the entire thing, they can click on the link.

• Kate82
    Kate82

Hi y'all,

Thanks for all your comments. I have read them all and am thinking throughly on all the points mentioned.

I will explain a bit more about myself then we'll see what happens.

I am a very shy person and am a bit worried about what you all will think of me. I have always been shy and never made friends easily because of that. I am currently suffering depression.

So the other week i had a couple of JW's knock at the door. I was frajile and let myself listen to them. I have always been an honest person and told them i was depressed / finding life difficult they were so understanding and told me how good my life could b.

I also like the thought of a disaplined lifestyle and being closer to god.

I hope you all dont think im weird or making this up. I do like the idea of saying grace before meals and covering my head during a service etc.

Thanks again

• kassad84
    kassad84

hi kate, i think we have the same disposition. i can relate to you. i'm by nature a shy person too and that's exactly how they found me. i am still a jw, but now inactive. i think the jws are a nice bunch of normal people like us and that they are really seeking God. but they are victims. for me personally, i think the problem with this organization is the foundation in which it was built, the so called "faithful and discreet slave" doctrine. i suggest you read crisis of conscience by raymond franz to weigh in your decision. the author i think is honest in relating his experiences with the organization but leaves the decision of whether to join, or leave, or stay to each one. because most of the times, its not an easy decision. there are things that I think the JWs got right, and there are things that they got wrong. just like in every other denomination of christianity.

• poppers
    poppers

I have always been shy and never made friends e I asily because of that. I am currently suffering depression.

From what I've learned here (I am not a JW) this makes you a prime candidate for recruitment because they'll provide a ready made cadre of instant "friends". You will be love bombed by them during your indoctrination Bible study and that will give you a sense of acceptance and belief that you've found something of substance. But that acceptance is conditional only. After baptism you must tow the line on all matters otherwise you will be seen as spiritually weak. Whatever you do it will never be enough and bit by bit you will give up whatever independent thinking you have to serve the organization and its agenda. If you question doctrine or beliefs after baptism you will see the "love" you were given whither and die, and the threat of disfellowshipping will be used to get you back "in line." Visits from elders will be employed to "readjust" your thinking. By then, someone like you, someone whose social network is comprised of fellow believers, this threat will be enough to keep you locked into the cult with no avenue for escape even if you want to escape.

• cognac
    cognac

Hi Kate82!

Have you been to therapy for your depression?

• Kate82
    Kate82

I have been in touch with my Dr and he has put me on antidepressants which makes me more relaxed and more easily purswaded to things- i dont know if they could sense that??

I have always been a person who needed to feel loved and have people around me. Maybe i am like someone said "an easy target for the jw's"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit