Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

Kate,

Do yourself a favor and "just say no" to the Jehovah's Witnesses. I was born and raised in this cult, and I've "witnessed" the destruction of my family caused by this cult. My siblings resent my parents for raising us in this cult but I have forgiven them as I realize that they were brainwashed, much like all other zealous Jehovah's Witnesses.

I was a kid attending meetings at the hall and clearly remember the Jehovah's Witness' false prediction that armageddon would occur in October of 1975. When their prediction failed, they actually claimed that they never made that prediction, but this is a lie. I was there, I heard it, and it scared the hell out of me at the time because I didn't think I was worthy of the "new system" the Jehovah's Witnesses preach about.

I don't have the time or the inclination to tell you all fo the horrible things that have occurred as a result of my family's involvement with this cult, so all I can do is tell you that if you become a Jehovah's Witness, eventually, you will deeply regret that decision, and your life will be a shambles.

Good luck!

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile
    You don't need the Witnesses to find God, in fact they will turn you away from him.

There's a lot of great advice and points brought up in this thread, but this quote from Nambo really hits the nail on the head.

What the Jehovah's Witnesses and other high control religious groups do is "poison the well" on spiritual belief. What I mean is they condemn every other religion as being false and unpleasing to God. They convince you that their group is the only one in the world that's doing the will of God. They'll attempt to convince you that the only way to have a relationship with God is by going through their group. This concept becomes indoctrinated into the worldview of the follower, so if they ever escape from the group there's this lingering belief that they've somehow left God. The organization doesn't equal God, you don't need a man-made organization to have a relationship with God. You don't need to go inside a man-made building to worship God or to give thanks for his creation.

Acts 17:24 "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands".

I think the term "spiritual abuse" accurately describes what the Jehovah's Witnesses and other cults do to their followers.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

If even a young boy is speaking or leading the prayers, or giving instructions, every sister, even anyone very expeirenced, or very educated, or even his mother, must obey him. Unquestioningly. Following his lead.

I just had a horrible memory. Wow...kicks me in the teeth. Women should hate me.

I remember being a baptized kid and going on studies with "sisters" where I was conducting. I slink now at the memory that...I felt so powerful because they had to wear a head covering around me. Isn't that sick? I was 14 years old and they were having to wear a covering to respect my DIVINE authority.

...and I liked it. Sick. I feel so horrible about that now. At least I have Zid here to teach me about ancient history, especially as it applies to godess worship. Thanks Zid! Keep it coming! :-)

• Heaven
    Heaven

U said JW prayed morning, before meals in the kindom hall and at night time. Can i give me an example of that.

After a while my Dad's prayers all sounded pretty much the same. I think some JWs may alter theirs as they see fit. There is definitely a formula to them. I have found that JWs prayers are really all about puttiing God's Kingdom first. I never heard my Dad pray for any of our family. Once in a while he might mention some world crisis and pray for others but not very often.

So let me see if I can remember what he used to say for a typical prayer ... they go something like this ... ahem:

"Dear Heavenly Father Jehovah,

We approach you now through the office of your son to give thanks for this new day of life. We thank you for the food we are about to receive, and all the good gifts that come from your hand. We pray for your forgiveness where we fail you/fall short. We pray, Father, that you will give us strength and will guide and direct us to do your will, putting the Kingdom first in our lives. All these things we ask through your son, Christ Jesus, our King and our Redeemer, Amen."

I've probably left something out but that's kinda the gist of it. Maybe others have slightly different versions they can share?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

do JW say grace and how

Some I have known do, some don't. One former brother-in-law did so in the company cafeteria, but silently: you wouldn't know if he was JW, Protestant, Catholic, Muslim or Jewish, only that he was praying silently.

When said aloud, such as at congregation "get-togethers" or big family dinners, I noticed that the prayer before meals was only partly about giving thanks for "our daily bread", and always included a long mention of the congregation, etc. Also, no Witness I have known called it "grace": that's too much like what "worldly" people following "christendom" do. It was "Will brother Smith lead us in prayer", never "Will sister Jones please say grace". The genders in those statements was deliberate; I don't recall a woman witness ever leading a prayer.

BTW, they usually won't say "JW". They refer to themselves "Witnesses", "the brothers", "the sisters", "the friends", "the truth", "the society", etc.: insiders' language.

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

Dear Katie82

God is real and He is good. You say you are searching and just know this, when you believe and call on His name you will surely find Him. Christianity is about having a relationship with God, that means YOU and HIM, and not through any God's organization as claimed by the WatchTower. Not any person, or organization that can be a mediator between you and God except through Christ. The JW cult robbed the believers of this fundamental priviledge as Christians by saying that people need an organization to mediate for them. The relationship that you can have with Him is PERSONAL.

He is out Father in Heaven, as how Jesus taught us to call Him in the Bible. Thus, He is a graceful and loving God, not judging you via your works or good behaviour but loves you as you are. Just read your Bible and pray for the leading of the Holy Spirit (just like talking to someone) and you will find Him. If you need support and fellowship with other Christians, go to churches where they teach the word of God right from the Bible, word to word; and where there are works and fruits of the Holy Spirit being manifested among the congregation and the teachings:

Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Personally, when I read the literature of the WTS I feel very depressed, fearful and condemned, that is just not the work of the Holy Spirit. All I can see in their teachings is condemnation, judgements and legalism ~ far from the fundamental of Christianity.

Take your time and seek Him with heart of expectation. There is no right or wrong ways for you to communicate with Him or should you hide or refrain from anything you want to say to Him, for He is you Father who loves you that He sent His one and only Son to die for you on the cross, while we are all sinners.

You don't have to come to any organization to be a Christian, you simply come to HIM. Please, please, please do not let yourself being told of all the dos and don'ts on each details in your life and even on what you can think or can't. Christ come to set you FREE. Of course there are things that you must not do when you become a Christian (as written in the Bible) for those are sins but we stop doing them because of conviction, not control.

Peace be with you my dear. Feel free to PM me if you want. Just stay away from the cult, everyone here had their experience. I am never a JW but I have someone whom I love who is involved with JW and I hope that one day he and his family will be set free.

FC

• Eustace
    Eustace

Kate,

If you want to be part of a strict tight-knit church I would say the Seventh Day Adventists would be a much better choice than the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I read their church manual and they don't have the strange policy the JWs have of shunning those who stray from the dictates of the faith. Given the story Jesus told about the prodigal son and how his father welcomed him back with open arms without having to go through some 6 month reinstatement process like JWs do today, I think the Seventh Day Adventist way is much closer to what Jesus had in mind for Christianity.

Also it's said Seventh Day Adventists have really good health and longevity.

Plus as a Seventh Day Adventist you can celebrate holidays if you want, can vote if you want to, can disagree with the idea that only Seventh Day Adventists will be saved without being kicked out, etc.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

bump

Hoping Katie is still around...

• Kate82
    Kate82

Yes i am still here

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have a friend who spent most of her life in the SAD's, her leaving was as difficult as it would be for a JW, it caused her divorce for a start, from her preacher husband who told her she was now damned. He refused to help her financially ever since, she has struggled as a single Mum to bring up her kids and put hem through Uni etc

She no longer belongs to any church.

No, if you are choosing a Church , don't go to one of the Cults, they are all poison, the main four cults being, the LDS/Mormons, the SAD's, The Unification Church (Moonies) and the Jehovah's Witneses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit