Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Kate82
    Kate82

Hi,

I am new to here so please be bear with me.

I have always believed in God, but was never baptised, my parents wanted me to make up my own mind religon wise.

I am thinking of becoming a JW and am just needing some advice on how to do this, bible study and JW beliefs. Also do JW say grace and how.

I am greatful of any help.

Thanks

• elderelite
    elderelite

First, let me welcome you! Its commendable that you are researching thigs before taking any action. I myself am currently a JW, serving as an elder in the local congregation. May i ask why you choose the witneesess?

• JWB
    JWB

J W B A P T I S M

This author supports the view that people should be both fully informed and of adult age before they commit themselves to being under the spiritual (or ecclesiastical) authority of the Governing Body (GB) of Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs). It is my understanding that the formal preparation and approval of a "candidate" for baptism, along with that person's later public oral agreement to a specially-formulated vow and subsequent act of immersion as a seal to that vow, all under the supervision and approval of appointed representatives of the GB, constitutes just such a commitment. I also believe that at least some young people who get baptized as JWs do so without truly understanding this.

---
    ---
    LIST OF CONTENTS

Copyright and Publication
    Introduction
    Governing Body
    Vows
    Preparation
    Youths
    In The Name Of
    The Mediator
    Loyalty To Whom?
    Be Informed

---
    ---

Copyright and Publication

The various copyrights of the official publications of the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs), such as those from which extracts are shown in the following articles, belong to: WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF PENNSYLVANIA. In more recent times, the main publisher of JW publications has been: WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC. Other publishers of the past have been: WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF PENNSYLVANIA and INTERNATIONAL BIBLE STUDENTS ASSOCIATION.

Note: any reference to publications of JWs, appearing in this series of articles, should be understood to refer to literature and products created and published under the direction and approval of the Governing Body of JWs via its various appointed representatives and corporations.

As for my own articles, I'm happy for readers to reproduce them for their own private use.

---
    ---

INTRODUCTION

The main purpose of this series of articles is to provide information on the subject of baptism as it relates to the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs). Rather than deal with just the physical act of baptism, this series of articles will focus on the process of JW baptism and what the taking of this step means in the life of the one baptized. It will also include information considered to have a bearing on the subject.

For those of you who are currently members of a congregation of JWs and concerned about who is behind this series of articles, I will simply say that I am not, nor have I ever been, a disfellowshipped or disassociated JW.

I would like to assure all of my readers that although I have many years of experience and knowledge of the beliefs and practices of JWs, I do not claim that what I write will be without any errors. Although I would never knowingly provide false information or try to mislead my readers, I would encourage you to do your own research on anything that I write which you may feel I have got wrong or may be misinformed about. If you have access to JW publications, please check any references I make to them.

Thank you for reading.

---
    ---

GOVERNING BODY

"'Jehovah's Witnesses' means that body of Christians who recognise the spiritual authority of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses situated at 25 Columbia Heights Brooklyn New York, United States" [1]

"... The anointed ones making up the present-day Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses have decades of faithful service and theocratic experience behind them. They offer spiritual direction to Jehovah's people, as did the first-century governing body. The Governing Body also continues to carry the responsibility of overseeing the preaching work, producing Bible study material, and arranging for the appointment of overseers to serve in various capacities in the organization. These are some of the Kingdom interests of Christ that are being cared for today. Like the early Christians, we gladly look to spiritually mature men for Bible-based direction and guidance in matters of worship." [2]

The Governing Body (GB) of Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs), a small group of men, is made up of those among JWs who consider themselves to be destined to rule with Jesus Christ at a future date as "kings and priests" in heaven. These JWs who profess a "heavenly hope" are also referred to as "the anointed" and "the remnant". The GB self-selects new members of its group and considers itself to be the representatives of "the anointed" as well as being in primary position as Jesus Christ's sole representative on earth. JWs are expected to submit to the spiritual (or ecclesiastical) authority of the GB.

---

[1] This definition is that which is given in section 9.1 of the Articles of Association (as Amended 2000) of WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF BRITAIN.

[2] This extract is from pages 17 and 18 of the JWs' publication "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will". First published in 2005, this book gives an overall view of how the organization of JWs works.

---
    ---

VOWS

"Baptisms are usually performed at assemblies and conventions of Jehovah's Witnesses. At the conclusion of the baptism talk, the speaker will ask the baptism candidates to stand and answer the following two questions in a loud, clear voice:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have your repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of *Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?" [1]

Just before a person gets baptized as a member of the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs), it is expected of him to make a "public declaration" in the form of two specific vows. The term "God's spirit-directed organization", as used by JWs, means firstly the Governing Body (GB) of JWs and secondly the appointed men that the GB uses to serve in the various activities of the organization.

The baptism vows have not always been what they are now. A significant change to the second vow was made during the 1980's from what had previously been:

"On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?" [2]

Why was there a change to the second vow? It is my personal belief that this was done for legal reasons in order to make sure that the person getting baptized understood that s/he would be coming under the spiritual (or ecclesiastical) authority of the GB and it's organizational rules and procedures. For instance if a person who had been baptized as a member of the JW organization found themselves disfellowshipped (excommunicated), they would have no legitimate basis in law to sue the organization for maltreatment through it's policy of shunning former members. [3]

Whatever the reason, the changed vow suggests to me that JWs are now expected to understand God's will as a group via "God's spirit-directed organization" rather than personally "under the enlightening power of the holy spirit", and that whereas baptisms were previously done in the "name [4] of the holy spirit", they are now done in the "name of God's spirit-directed organization" (which has already been defined in paragraph 4 above).

---

* Please refer to "Governing Body" for an official definition of the term 'Jehovah's Witness'.

[1] This extract is from page 215 of the JWs' publication "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will". First published in 2005, this book gives an overall view of how the organization of JWs works.

[2] Please see the article entitled "Baptizing Follows Discipling", from the 1 May 1973 issue of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower."

[3] Please see the article entitled "Discipline That Can Yield Peaceable Fruit", from the 15 April 1988 issue of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower", where reference is made to a court case (Janice Paul vs Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York) that was brought against the organization by a disfellowshipped woman.

[4] In discussing the Bible verse of Matthew 28:19 ("Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit" - from the JWs' publication "The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures"), the article entitled "Baptized in the Name of Whom and What?", from the 15 March 2010 issue of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower." On page 14 it says, in part::

"The expression 'in the name of' need not imply the name of a person. Today, many things are done 'in the name of the government,' which is not a person. They are done by the authority of the government." (Emphasis mine)

In the next paragraph it says, in part::

"Our having been baptized in the name of the holy spirit involves recognizing its role in our life and gratefully cooperating with that spirit." (Emphasis mine)

---
    ---

PREPARATION

"The *presiding overseer should be informed of the person's desire to be baptized. After the person requesting baptism has had time to review the information, the presiding overseer will make arrangements for some of the elders to have discussions with the person based on that material. It is not necessary to wait until an assembly is announced before having these discussions. The three parts can usually be covered in three sessions of about one hour each, although there is no objection to using more time if that is necessary. Neither the candidate nor the elder should be rushed in going through the questions. Where possible, a different elder should be assigned to handle each of the sessions. It would be good to open and close each session with prayer." [1]

When a person who wishes to be baptized as a member of the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs), s/he is expected to approach a member of their local congregation's body of elders. The body of elders are men who have been appointed as representatives of the Governing Body (GB) of Jehovah's Witnesses [2].

Arrangements will be made for the so-called baptism candidate to meet with elders to go through question and answer sessions to ascertain whether or not s/he qualifies to be baptized. The questions [3], which constitute the material that the person should previously have reviewed, are grouped as follows:

Part 1 - "Elementary Bible Teachings" (35 questions)

Part 2 - "Jehovah's Righteous Requirements" (37 questions)

Part 3 - "Jehovah's Arrangement of Things" (32 questions)

"The elders will make sure that a person to be baptized has acquired a reasonable understanding of basic Bible teachings. Additionally, they will want to ascertain whether the prospective minister deeply appreciates the truth and demonstrates proper respect for Jehovah's organization. If the person does not understand primary Bible teachings, the elders will arrange for him to receive the necessary personal assistance so as to qualify for baptism at a later time. Others may need to be given time to demonstrate more appreciation for **field service or submissiveness to organizational arrangements. It will be up to the elders to use discretion in apportioning the hour or so spent in each session so as to discern fully whether the baptism candidate is ready to take this important step. Although more time may be spent on certain questions and less on others, *all* the questions should be reviewed." [4]

After a baptism candidate has been through all of the question and answer sessions, and if s/he qualifies for baptism (in the opinion of the elders), one or two of the elders will meet with that one and discuss the following topics [5]:

1. The pre-baptism vows [6]

2. "What is appropriate attire for baptism?"

3. "How should a person conduct himself when getting baptized?"

4. "Even after you are baptized, why will it be vital for you to maintain a good schedule of personal study and to share regularly in the ministry?"

5. "How will staying in close association with the congregation help you to carry out your dedication to Jehovah?"

6. "Are you now thoroughly convinced that you should be baptized at the first opportunity?"

---

* The presiding overseer now has the title "Coordinator of the Body of Elders" (or simply the "Coordinator").

** In simple terms, field service (aka: the ministry) means talking about one's faith with others. Often this involves going from door-to-door visiting the homes of the general public with a Bible and JW literature, although it may be done at times in a less formal manner.

[1] This extract is from page 217 of the JWs' publication "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will". First published in 2005, this book gives an overall view of how the organization of JWs works.

[2] Starting on page 39 of the book "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will", under the heading "Positions of Responsibility in the Congregations", it is shown quite clearly who ultimately the elders are the representatives of, even though the actual formal appointments may be made by other representatives of the GB.

[3] All the questions to be reviewed can be found on pages 183-215 of the book "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will".

[4] This extract is from page 218 of the book "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will".

[5] The topics are listed on pages 215 and 216 of the book "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will", under the heading "Concluding Discussion With Baptism Candidates".

[6] Please see "Vows".

---
    ---

YOUTHS

"Christian parents have reason to be overjoyed when their children get baptized, but sometimes the joy is accompanied by uneasiness. 'I was very happy and very anxious,' said one mother. Why the mixed emotions? 'I understood that my son was now fully accountable to Jehovah.'" [1]

Recently an article entitled "Should Youths Get Baptized?" was released by the Governing Body (GB) of Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) via the Watchtower magazine. As you can see from the above extract, JW parents are encouraged to become very happy when their children get baptized. Of course the word children can be used in English the same way that teknon could be used in the Greek of the first century, to mean simply one's offspring [2]. However, the focus of the particular article under review is baptism of youths.

So what about age? Well, under the heading "Discipleship - The Prime Requirement", the article goes on to say:

"Instead of specifying an age to get baptized, God's Word describes the spiritual condition of those qualified to take that step. Jesus instructed his followers: 'Make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them.' (Matt. 28:19) Hence baptism is for those who are already disciples of Christ.."

For those readers who may not know, the Bible verse given in the above extract (Matthew 28:19), continues on to say (including the next verse): "[baptizing them] in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you" [3].

After asking the question: "Are relatively young people capable of being genuine disciples of Christ?", the article quotes a JW of many decades talking about her dedication (presumably as a relatively young person). As JWs will know, dedication is something that precedes actual baptism. The simplest way I can think of to describe it is that it's a promise made to God (often referred to by JWs as Jehovah) to commit your life to his service and put his will ahead of your own. This personal dedication is done in the form of a prayer to God.

The next section of the article, entitled "Proof of Discipleship", points out some things regarded as evidences that people have become disciples, which according to the article means "those who not only believe Christ's teachings but also follow them closely":

(1) "Does your child obey you?" (Such as doing "his assigned chores around the house.")

(2) "Is he willing to share the good news with others?" [4]

(3) "Is he mindful of his responsibility as an unbaptized publisher?" [5]

(4) "Does he make known to schoolmates and teachers that he is a Witness of Jehovah?" [6]

Other questions asked relate to the importance of attendance and participation at religious meetings of JWs, personal morality, preferences in entertainment, general conduct in compliance with Bible standards, and knowledge of the Bible itself.

Later on the article seems to put the decision to allow baptism of youths of JW parents on the parents themselves, because it says: "If, however, his life course gives proof of discipleship and he has indeed dedicated his life to God, you may feel that you can allow him to get baptized" [7]. (Emphasis mine)

Getting back to the question of age, are there any indications of what the GB feels could be an acceptable age, even though the article indicates that age itself is not an problem? Under the title "Young People Can Praise Jehovah", there is a quote from a JW in Greece where he speaks about his baptism at age 12 in a positive light. On the same page a photograph is shown of a young person about to get baptized. Of course it is not always easy to judge a child's age simply by his appearance, but I would estimate his age to be about twelve years.

The best thing for people, I think, is to read the article in its entirety so they can come to their own conclusions. Another reason I urge you to read all of it is because there are two sub-articles entitled "The Proper View of Baptism" and "Should My Child Put Off Baptism?"

My conclusion is that at present, the GB believes and teaches that age itself should not be considered a reason for not getting baptised as a JW. Among the things that do hold great weight for them is such things specific to the JW way of life as meeting attendance and participation in sharing the good news.

The GB sum up their own view in this sentence from the last paragraph of the article:

"Whether young or old, a person who gives evidence of true discipleship should get baptized."

---

[1] This extract is from page 3 of the 15 June 2011 Study Edition of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower." If you don't have access to a copy of this publication, you may be able to get a digital version to download to your computer for personal use via the official website of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society.

[2] My personal research revealed two Greek words that have the basic meaning of child in the age sense. These are teknion (the diminutive of teknon), which basically means a little child, and paidon (as used for instance in Matthew 14:21: "There were five thousand men who ate besides women and children.").

[3] Matthew 28:19-20, according to the JWs publication "The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures".

[4] Sharing the good news means to talk about the Bible and offer publications to the general public from the perspective of what JWs (as directed by the understanding of the GB) believe.

[5] A publisher is one who engages in sharing the good news (see [4] above) and hands in a monthly report at his local congregation. The monthly report will show such things as how many hours were spent, number of items of JW literature given out to householders, how many return visits were made on people who had previously shown an interest and how many Bible studies were conducted by the publisher.

[6] The term "Witness of Jehovah" means the same as "Jehovah's Witness."

[7] This quote is from paragraph 1 of page 5 of the 15 June 2011 Study Edition of "The Watchtower."

---
    ---

IN THE NAME OF

"The expression 'in the name of' need not imply the name of a person. Today, many things are done 'in the name of the government,' which is not a person. They are done by the authority of the government..." [1] (Emphasis mine)

Here we have an official definition of what the term "in the name of " means, when applied to to baptism. Matthew 28:19-20 has Jesus telling his own disciples to go and make other disciples and baptize them "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit." So, using the official definition given above it is reasonable to say that members of the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) understand that baptism should be done "by the authority of " the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit.

If you've read the article "Vows" you will remember that prior to the change in baptism vows, during the 1980's, the second vow mentions in effect the "Father" (Jehovah), "Son" (Jesus Christ) and "holy spirit" as being necessary to the revealing of God's will to the one baptized. However, in the later baptism vows the "holy spirit" is nowhere to be seen. Instead, there is mention of God's "spirit-directed organization." Not only that, but there is no mention at all of how God's will is revealed. Mention is made quite rightly of "the sacrifice of Jesus Christ", repentance of sins and dedication to God. Yet the actual meaning of the dedication and baptism itself is shown to be identification as "one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization."

As has already been indicated in "Governing Body", one who agrees to be identified as "one of Jehovah's Witnesses" is actually agreeing to become a member of "that body of Christians who recognise the spiritual authority of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses situated at 25 Columbia Heights Brooklyn New York, United States." [2]

In addition to this, as most JWs I think will understand it, "God's spirit-directed organization" translates in real terms as being the whole structure of zone/branch/circuit/district overseers as well as all the bodies of elders, with the GB sitting right at the top. Since the GB controls everything, albeit through its appointed representatives, it could even be said that the GB is the organization. The "association" with "God's spirit-directed organization" is done through supporting and being a part of the various congregation activities. So the baptism also means that one has agreed to join in with those arrangements including being subject to any disciplinary action that might be deemed necessary by "God's spirit-directed organization."

If you've read "Preparation", you will know that you have to "qualify" for baptism. In other words, you cannot get baptized as a JW without having the approval of the local body of elders dealing with your request. It's not without reason that someone seeking baptism is called a "candidate", because s/he hasn't qualified yet. Your baptism has to be "authorized" by appointees of the GB.

Now let's come back to the main theme and ask the question: "In the name of (or: by the authority of) whom is a JW currently baptized?" Well, please consider these points:

(1) By taking the current baptism vows you are placing yourself under the "spiritual authority" of the GB.

(2) You need authorization by appointees of the GB in order to baptized.

(3) You will actually get baptized by appointees of the GB (probably an elder).

The conclusion I have come to is this: JW baptisms are done in the name of (or: by the authority of) "God's spirit-directed organization" or simply "the organization", and that sort of baptism is something quite different from a baptism done in the name of "the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit."

I'll finish here by leaving you to think about this quote:

"A Christian, therefore cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son, and the holy spirit." [3]

---

[1] This is an extract from page 14 of the 15 March 2010 issue of JWs' publication "The Watchtower", in a study article entitled "Baptised in the Name of Whom and What?" "The Watchtower" magazine is the main publication used to instruct JWs at their meetings. It is also offered to members of the public in the JWs' door-to-door work. It, like all the other publications of JWs, is approved for release by the Governing Body (GB) of JWs. That means the articles should represent the views and beliefs of the GB. Since the GB is recognized by most JWs as having spiritual (or ecclesiastical) authority over them (based on the doctrine of "the faithful and discreet slave" - see Matthew 24:45-47), the contents of publications such as The Watchtower magazine will usually bear considerable weight and influence in the minds of most JWs.

[2] This definition is that which is given in section 9.1 of the Articles of Association (Amended 2000) of WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF BRITAIN.

[3] This extract is from the 1 July 1955 issue of "The Watchtower" (in the article "Christian Baptism for the New World Society"; paragraph 15).

---
    ---
    THE MEDIATOR

"But now [Jesus] has obtained a more excellent public service, so that he is also the mediator of a correspondingly better covenant, which has been *legally established upon better promises." [1]

The Christian Greek Scriptures (aka New Testament) state that there is "one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all" [2], and that he became mediator of a new covenant which would enable a "release by ransom from the transgressions under the former covenant" in order that "the ones who have been called might receive the promise of the everlasting inheritance." [3]

The October 15, 2008 Watchtower had this to say about the mediator and new covenant:

"9:16 - Who is 'the human covenanter' of the new covenant? Jehovah is the Maker of the new covenant, while Jesus is 'the human covenanter.' Jesus is the Mediator of that covenant, and by his death, he provided the sacrifice needed to validate it.. - Luke 22:20; Heb. 9:15" [4]

In order to help others understand why most JWs allow their Governing Body (GB) to have spiritual authority over them, I think it very important to show what the GB teaches about the mediatorship of Jesus and those directly involved as participants in the new covenant:.

"What does Jesus' role as Mediator involve? Well, Jehovah applies the value of Jesus' blood to those being brought into the new covenant. In this way, Jehovah legally credits them with righteousness. (Rom. 3:24; Heb. 9:15) God can then take them into the new covenant with the prospect of their becoming heavenly king-priests! As their Mediator, Jesus assists them in maintaining a clean standing before God. - Heb. 2:16. What about those who are not in the new covenant, those who hope to live forever on earth, not in heaven? While not participants in the new covenant, these are beneficiaries of it. They receive forgiveness of their sins and are declared righteous as God's friends. (Jas. 2:23; 1 John 2:1, 2) Whether we have a heavenly hope or an earthly hope, each one of us has good reason to appreciate Jesus' role as the Mediator of the new covenant.." [5]

Those mentioned in the above text as "being brought into the new covenant" are a relatively small number of JWs who profess to have what is called "the heavenly hope." These ones are variously referred to as "the anointed", "the remnant" and even "the faithful and discreet slave." The Governing Body (GB) of JWs consider themselves to be of this class and act as representatives of those having "the heavenly hope." An interesting point to make about the GB is that although they are seen to be representatives there is no election of their members from among "the anointed", in other words any new members of the GB are selected by the GB themselves. The original GB was simply the board members of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. In practice, the non-GB members of "the anointed" as a group have no power to select or veto the appointment (or even the removal) of GB members. They also have no final say in what is promoted as divine truth in the publications of Jws.

Now we come to the second group, those who have "an earthly hope." They are often referred to as "the other sheep" or "the great crowd." By far the majority of JWs belong to this group. Whereas the "the anointed" number in the thousands, "the great crowd" number in the millions. Of course based on that sort of ratio, most appointed representatives of the GB in the various congregations of JWs (such as elders/overseers) are members of "the great crowd." The future destiny of "the great crowd" is taught to be that of living on a transformed earth under paradise-like conditions; this is referred to as "the new world". On the other hand it is taught that the future destiny of "the anointed" is to go to heaven where they will become "kings and priests" jointly with Jesus and rule over "the new world" for a thousand years.

Once a year, in the spring, JWs all around the world participate in the annual celebration known as "the memorial" in which a Bible talk is given on the significance of Jesus' death. You may already have received an invitation to attend via a doorstep visit or leaflet left at your home.

At a certain point in "the memorial" talk, plates of red wine and unleavened bread will be passed around the audience. Most of the JWs present will pass over "the bread and wine"/"the emblems" (symbolizing the sacrificed body and blood of Jesus) to their seated neighbour without eating or drinking. Eating and drinking of "the emblems" is only for those members of "the anointed", not for members of "the great crowd" since they are not parties to the new covenant. So what, if any, is Jesus' mediatorship in relation to those not of "the anointed"? This question was posed as a "Questions from readers" in 1989:

"Is Jesus the Mediator only for spirit-anointed Christians or for all mankind, since 1 Timothy 2:5, 6 speaks of him as the 'mediator' who 'gave himself a corresponding ransom for all'?" [6]

Here is the summing up of the answer to that question, which I will leave without comment since it is my intention simply to show the official JWs' view and why they hold to it::

"Consequently, 1 Timothy 2:5, 6 is not using 'mediator' in the broad sense common in many languages. It is not saying that Jesus is a mediator between God and all mankind. Rather, it refers to Christ as legal Mediator (or, 'attorney') of the new covenant, this being the restricted way in which the Bible uses the term. Jesus is also a corresponding ransom for all in that covenant, both Jews and Gentiles, who will receive immortal life in heaven. The apostle John referred to these at 1 John 2:2. But he indicated that others too will receive the benefit of Christ's sacrifice: 'He is a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins, yet not for ours only but also for the whole world's.' Those of 'the whole world' are all who will gain eternal life in a restored earthly paradise. Millions of such approved servants of God now have that earthly hope. They view Jesus as their High Priest and King through whom they can daily gain approach to Jehovah. They rely on Jesus' ransom, which is available to them, just as it will be to men such as Abraham, David, and John the Baptizer when these are resurrected. (Matthew 20:28) Thus, Christ's sacrifice will lead to everlasting life for all obedient mankind." [6]

---

* The original Greek word has here been translated as "legally established". The Bible study aid known as Strong's Exhaustive Concordance defines that Greek word (nomotheteo; reference code G3549) as meaning "1) to enact laws: a) laws are enacted or prescribed for one, to be legislated for, furnished with laws" and "2) to sanction by law, enact."

[1] This is the text of Hebrews 8:6 according to the JWs' publication "The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" (NWT).

[2] This is from the text of 1 Timothy 2:5-6 according to the NWT.

[3] This is from the text of Hebrews 9:15 according to the NWT.

[4] This extract is from the article "Jehovah's Word Is Alive - Highlights From the Letters to Titus, to Philemon, and to the Hebrews", from the 15 October 2008 issue of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower. "

[5] This extract is from the article "Appreciate Jesus' Unique Role in God's Purpose" (paragraphs 13 and 14), from the 15 December 2008 issue of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower."

[6] These extracts are from the August 15, 1989 issue of the "The Watchtower."

---
    ---

LOYALTY TO WHOM?

"In any case, loyalty in the Biblical sense means more than faithful adherence to commitments. It includes the idea of loving attachment along with the taking of positive action so as to benefit others. ... Loyalty to God also includes loyalty to his organization. Necessarily, over the years there have been corrections and adjustments to our understanding of certain scriptures. The fact is that no one is as spiritually well fed as we are. (Matthew 24:45-47) Unquestionably, Jehovah has stuck with his modern-day organization. Can we not do likewise? ... Remain loyal to believing friends and family." [1]

From the above extracts, it can be seen that loyalty to the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs), along with loyalty to believing friends and family is equated with loyalty to God. The organization is often referred to in JWs publications as "Jehovah's/God's organization" according to the belief that the organization of JWs is God's exclusive earthly organization and his sole channel of spiritual (or ecclesiastical) communication on earth. The Governing Body (GB) of JWs have primary oversight over that organization. The term "believing friends and family" mean those who are currently JWs. It would, of course, not include any former JW who changed his/her belief system into one contrary to that taught by JWs. Here are some more extracts from another Watchtower magazine article:

"The elder loyally works to serve the flock of God; the parents loyally attend congregation meetings; the sister [as per a preceding illustration] loyally supports the elders. (Hebrews 10:24, 25; 13:17; 1 Peter 5:2) Yes, in all aspects of life, we see God's people determined to serve loyally with Jehovah's organization. ... Expect that Satan will try to undermine your loyalty to Jehovah and to His earthly organization. ... God's earthly organization today is far superior to the Jewish system with its temple. Granted, it is not perfect; that is why adjustments are made at times. But neither is it riddled with corruption, nor is Jehovah God about to replace it. ... Another subtle form of disloyalty is misplaced loyalty. True loyalty in the Biblical sense does not allow for our putting any allegiance ahead of our loyalty to Jehovah God. ... We know that our loyalty may cost us dearly in this world. Jesus Christ paid for his loyalty with his life, and he told his followers that they would be treated no better. ... If we refuse to let human imperfections erode our loyalty to Jehovah's organization and if we guard against such subtle forms of disloyalty as misplaced loyalties, then we will be better prepared should our loyalty be tested more severely." [2]

The JWs organization has (unlike the Biblical references to such people as Moses and Jesus of Nazareth) no divine/supernatural powers to prove its claim to being used exclusively by God. That means that any examination of loyalty in reference to the JWs organization can only be measured with certainty according to what we truly know about it. So, what does such loyalty mean in the "real world"?

The conclusion I have come to is this: A JW's ultimate loyalty is to the JWs organization as directed by its Governing Body (GB). That means that a JW is to be loyal to whatever the GB expresses as the will of God, no matter how this may affect his/her life. This loyalty transcends even family relationships and, depending on the circumstances, severely affect such relationships. Consider, for example, the affect of parent/child association where the grownup child has left home but has been disfellowshipped (excommunicated):

"In other cases, the disfellowshipped relative may be living outside the immediate family circle and home. Although there might be a need for limited contact on some rare occasion to care for a necessary family matter, any such contact should be kept to a minimum. Loyal Christian family members do not look for excuses to have dealings with a disfellowshipped relative not living at home. Rather, loyalty to *Jehovah and his organization moves them to uphold the Scriptural arrangement of disfellowshipping. Their loyal course has the best interests of the wrongdoer at heart and may help him to benefit from the discipline received. - Hebrews 12:11" [3]

As JWs will know, those who formally disassociate themselves (for instance, by letter) from the organization are essentially regarded in the same way as those who have been disfellowshipped, which means that the same policies in connection with shunning (non-association and even non-communication) are applied to these ones also.

It should be noted here that disfellowshipping is done via a judicial committee of normally three local congregation elders (aka overseers). If the person accused of wrongdoing does not show up to a pre-arranged judicial meeting, the committee (according to policy) can come to a decision without the accused being present. If a person is found guilty of wrongdoing in the eyes of the majority of the committee members, he may be disfellowshipped. The decision to disfellowship will be based on a belief by the committee that the accused is not genuinely repentant.

Since it is usual to have three people forming a judicial committee, and since a majority view is all that is needed to pass judgement, the accused may have his/her future association with JW friends and family decided by just two men. There is a chance to appeal the decision and for a new committee (of different members) to be formed. Nevertheless, committee meetings are private affairs that are not under scrutiny by the congregation as a whole. If there is a disfellowshipping, all JWs (including those who are family members of the person concerned) are expected to be loyal to the organization by not questioning the decision of the judicial committee. So, if there has been a true injustice done, loyal JWs are supposed to keep quiet and "wait on Jehovah to sort matters out in his own due time." [4]

Any person who is thinking about getting baptized as a JW should give serious consideration to whom s/he will be expected to give his/her ultimate allegiance and how this may seriously affect his/her future life and relationships. I will finish here by quoting an official word of warning given recently by the GB through one of its publications. Bear in mind that the term "Jehovah's work" in the context of the article primarily means the preaching work promoted by the JWs organization.

"If we stop actively supporting Jehovah's work, then we start following Satan. There is no middle ground. - Matt. 12:20." [5]

---

* 'Jehovah' is the primary appellation used by JWs for the name of God.

[1] These extracts are from article the entitled "What Does It Mean to Be Loyal?", from the 1 October 2001 issue of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower."

[2] These extracts are from article entitled "Serving Loyally With Jehovah's Organization", from the 1 August 1997 issue of "The Watchtower."

[3] This extract is from pages 208-209 of the JWs' publication "Keep Yourself in God's Love."

[4] This phrase (or a version of it) is one that many JWs will be familiar with. So, rather than trying to take action oneself in resolving a particular matter (such as an injustice) a person is expected to leave the matter with God, who presumably will set matters right in his own time.

[5] This quote is from page 18 (paragraph 15) of the 15 July 2011 issue of "The Watchtower."

---
    ---

BE INFORMED

My purpose in providing the information contained in the articles is to bring attention to the fact that when a person becomes baptized as a member of the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs), they are primarily agreeing to come under the spiritual (or ecclesiastical) authority of the Governing Body (GB) of JWs.

It is very important to know that not only does the GB (who regard themselves as the primary representatives the 'slave' class) expect JWs to view them as essentially the sole representatives of Jesus Christ on earth with authority over all his "belongings" [1], but also expect JWs to view them as God's sole channel of communication to those seeking to understand the Bible [2]. Most JWs are seen as being part of a very large body of people known as the "great crowd" who have an earthly destiny, while a very small number known as the "faithful and discreet slave" (or simply 'slave' class) have a heavenly destiny to be "kings and priests" with Jesus Christ.

It is not without reason that the Watch Tower Society (WTS) with its various worldwide branches, under the oversight and control of the GB, is often referred to by JWs as "the organization." Organization is expected to play a large role in the life of someone who gets baptised as a JW. The baptised JW will be expected to live a controlled way of life which is governed by whatever the GB promotes as "pure worship", including any organizational adjustments and policies.

Consider please the area of currently held beliefs and practices of JWs. From time to time there are what have been called "adjustments to our thinking", meaning that the GB has decided to change the way certain Bible passages are understood and in some cases how these new understandings should affect the lives of JWs. It is not my intention here to get involved in questioning the validity of those changes, but rather to show that a baptised JW is (maybe unknowingly) agreeing to be party to a contract where "terms and conditions may be changed at any time."

That is why I believe people who are contemplating becoming a JW should be completely aware of what the forming of a baptismal contract means in real terms. Below is a list of some main areas of study that I think such people should familiarise themselves with.

(1) The emphasis on WTS literature study, meeting attendance, and preaching.

(2) What constitutes 'sin' and how judicial committees deal with 'sinners'.

(3) The practice of 'shunning' and how this can seriously affect family relationships.

(4) Changes in "understanding" and how these have affected the lives of JWs.

(5) Changes from autonomy to dependency of early congregations of Bible Students.

(6) The men behind the WTS, particularly Russell and Rutherford.

(7) The origins and history of the WTS, as well as its various predictions and changes of doctrine.

---

[1] "What, then, are the 'belongings'? These are all the spiritual assets on earth that have become Christ's property in connection with his authority as heavenly King. Included are facilities at the headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses, along with branch offices, Kingdom Halls, and Assembly Halls worldwide. The 'belongings' also embrace the commission to preach 'this good news of the kingdom' throughout the earth and to teach those who respond. The 'slave' serves as God's instrument to gather into association with the congregation 'a great crowd ... out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues,' who will survive the great tribulation. (Luke 12:42-44; Matt. 24:14; Rev. 7:9-14) In fact, this great crowd plays a large part in seeing to it that the good news is preached to the ends of the earth. They are among the precious 'belongings' of Christ and are greatly loved by the slave class for their loyal, zealous support." (This extract is from pages 16 and 17 of the JWs' publication "Organized To Do Jehovah's Will")

[2] "All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the 'greatly diversified wisdom of God' can become known only through Jehovah's channel of communication, 'the faithful and discreet slave.'" (This extract is from the 1 October 1994 issue of the JWs' publication "The Watchtower.")

• ziddina
    ziddina

Welcome to the board, Kate82!

(I assume that's your birth year?)

Why do you want to become a Jehovah's Witness?

Are you doing it because of your parents?

Have you talked with very many ex-Jehovah's Witnesses? (I assume that is why you're on this board...)

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I am thinking of becoming a JW and am just needing some advice on how to do this, bible study and JW beliefs.

My advice, as with any other religious group, would be to research them thoroughly, using sources outside their publications. This is especially prudent with JWs. They aren't a religion you can commit partially to. If you are going to make the level of commitment that JWs demand of its members it would serve you to learn as much you can about them. You won't get the full picture from simply studying with them, and attending a few meetings.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Welcome Kate82, please research thoroughly what you are thinking of getting in to, and more importantly perhaps, what your life would be like if you ever decided to leave the JW/WT religion, once baptised.

Such information is available here, but not in any WT publication.

Ask away !

Grace is said before meals and prayer is offered before and at the end of their meetings, this always takes the form of an extemporaneous prayer, is only offered by chosen male members, unless none are present.

Ask us more questions, for your own protection, the JW/WT religion is not a choice to be taken lightly, because of the distinct possibility of years of regret for doing so.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Kate82!

If you want to serve God , there is others paths than the exclusive jw worship. My honest experience is that there is no genuin love inside the org. All friendships are conditional. Think about Matt 25:31-46 and the basis of our judgement. What does Jesus say? Love! Not doctrine (and especially not a false one).

Another point made is that it is very difficult to deprogram your mind, if you become a witness. Many x witnesses keep the wt thinking pattern for the rest of their lives! I can recommend that you read "in search of Christian freedom" by Raymond Franz (former governing bodywww member) and also "take back your life"

Best wishes!

Love from Healthworker

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    My advice, as with any other religious group, would be to research them thoroughly, using sources outside their publications.

Keyser is correct.

Learn what you can from them. Do research.

Take a pilgrimage to Mecca, Vatican City, Salt Lake City, or in the case of JW's .... to Pittsburg PA. I would have encouraged you to go to the gravesite of CT Russell and see the large pyramid gravestone but he was recently demoted so now the cemetary may not be such an important part of your trip. But do allow time for a day trip to Cedar Point Ohio to get the full experience.

Rub a Dub

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Welcome,

you've certainly come to right forum, and great to hear your thinking about this dangerous high control group, dump them my friend get every single book/magazine/DVD you possess and throw all of it in the nearest dump, you wont regret it and chose are far more rewarding path to follow.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Welcome Kate82!

As has been mentioned, this is an ex-JW board, so you will most likely get advice that would steer you away from the JW's. With that being said, many on here are very fair-minded individuals and will tell you that you need to make an INFORMED decision when it comes to commiting to this or any other religion. Do your research, as has already been suggested, and do not rely solely on what the JW's will tell you. Be aware that if you do decide to become a JW, you will put your former relationships at risk. Do you enjoy holidays, politics, community involvement?...you will have to give these up if you become a JW. If you become a JW and later decide it is not for you, you will be cut off from all JW friends and family...period. The decision to be a JW is not to be taken lightly.

There are many wonderful JW's, but you need to drill down beyond the individuals and really look at the teachings and, more importantly, the requirements of being a JW. Don't allow yourself to be "soft sold"...ask specific questions such as what would happen if you left the JW's...or what would happen if you didn't agree with a specific teaching.

For a good overview of JW teachings, check out www.jwfacts.com

Good luck in your search!

TYA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit