Fox News

by StopTheTears 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

NC , is right!

I think we are all being played by both political parties to turn against each other. The election is not until Nov this year and if we aren't careful it will rip this board ( and America ) apart again, ( RIP 2002)

• Violia
    Violia

the difference NC is many religions are quick to admit they are Fundy. I think their definition might be a tad different than the one we assign it( due to our experience).

The term Redneck is racist . Check the wiki link. Just b/c we are used to using it does not make it OK. and you surely must realize that most of the time it is used the word is preceded by stupid or words to that affect.

The term has been adopted by some folks the same way the N word has been adopted.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well maybe we should admit that sometimes we mean different things when we use the same word.

Redneck: Country folk--simple in the sense that they keep their life and goals simple, not in intelligence---perhaps they do like pickup trucks and guns, but that doesn't make them mindless---

Redneck: Led by emotion and a small world view. This is what they've seen in their life, so every other scenario is bullsh*t. Black and white thinking. Oversimplification.

I don't know. I'm just doing some word play here. Perhaps we could even coine a new term for the negative-------that way we can protect the term redneck as something positive, and really, central to what made this country what it is---partly.

Language is frustrating. Inferences, connotations, tropes, dog whistles---we all use them. And the thing we like about them is plausible deniability. Oh, I didn't mean THAT kind of redneck, I meant the OTHER kind of redneck.

Frustrating isn't it?

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The term Redneck is racist

I don't agree that it is racist though V. Simply because it does not lump individuals in a race to one category. Racist involves race. Perhaps derogatory would be a more accurate description---and yet----it is NOT always meant that way. That's a fact. It is all about tone. We aren't using enough words.

And when I use the term FUNDY, I generally mean something derogatory. That doesn't make me racist. And it's not based solely on my experience as a JW--but on my life's experience. I can't stand the intentional ignorance, that doesn't stop at their doors, but they try to creep into the schools, and the government, enforcing their worldview on everyone. I probably have some work to do in that area.

• Violia
    Violia

There is another word, Country boy or Country girl. Those are not insults to the people b/c country is a good thing. It is a slower way of life and yes, simpler. The folks are not simple just the way of life. Poor folks usually are quick to note the difference in country folks and rednecks, and white trash.

I'll let Tom explain what Country is

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't know what to tell you. On one side of my family, there is a long line of country folk. They regularly call themselves hillbillies, but I've never met a more talented, intelligent, musical, artistic and downright funny bunch in my life. And most are liberals. They wouldn't take kindly to the term hillbilly if they sensed it meant they were ignorant or dirty though. We aren't all speaking the same language---it's a real problem when we disagree.

Ah well. Probably no answers today.

NC

• Violia
    Violia

Agree, NC, I think we are dealing with language here. Some folks would be insulted by hillbillies b/c they can be portrayed very negatively on TV and the movies. Same was as Redneck can be- like your Jimmy Carter illustration ( I love that ) however let you tell you a real experience,.

Once due to a mistake a member of my extended family was arrested . I was very upset with police and was not about to be quiet. One officer called me a Redneck. I asked him if he was from around here, he said NO. I said I did not think so b/c if he was he'd know that was not true. I said the people who live here are poor working class whites and we pay our taxes, go to church, don't get drunk in bars get in fights, or hang out in strip joints. I further said if he continued to use that word he might be met with some upset folks. The other officer said I was right, and indeed Redneck was a slur and insult here.

I found out later he got reported for it and was I happy. BTW, all folks involved were white.

I guess my only point here is, Words can hurt. and yes I mean Fundy in a negative way and maybe I will rethink my use of it. I don't want to run these folks off, I want to help them free their mind.
    I love Fhn and you too. You are among my fav posters. It is language and we just need an interpreter.

we need to turn down thevolume with these negative words and hang together. That does not mean we don't' debate and hotly. It just means we don't hate for real or by the words we use.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I love Fhn and you too. You are among my fav posters

Awwww thank you. I've enjoyed getting to know you better here in recent days.

Also, my brother and I have a little test we do. We call it the Minchin test. We introduce him to new friends, and those who "get" him, we are pretty sure will be great in conversation. Those who don't---well they just have to prove themselves. LOL You passed the Minchin test!!!

NC

Edit to say: My bro played Canvas Bags for an old friend. She didn't get it. She just kept assuring him that she takes her canvas bags to the supermarket. He kept trying to EXPLAIN the irony. She still just kept assuring him. She's sweet, and he loves her to death, but has to accept that irony will not be her thing.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Redneck is not racist, nor is white trash. They are not terms applied to all white people because of color. They are terms applied because of a mindset or lifestyle, not a race.

• Violia
    Violia

Tim Minchin holds a mirror up to my face and forces me to get real. I fell in love with his stuff and have introduced him to everyone. I too note people's reaction to him b/c he is scathingly honest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit