Fox News

by StopTheTears 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

As a Liberal, I just think those things sound like something an ignorant redneck would say

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I do think redneck is a derogatory term, but it's not racist

If I were to call someone a redneck, I would mean it as an insult. But from what FHN says, those within the culture do not. Whoever likened it to African Americans calling each other the N word is not the same as a white person doing it, I agree.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I wonder, if I say tree hugging liberal, does it make anyone mad?

It doesn't make me mad. I have voted democrat when I vote. But I don't go for the extreme left thinking like spray painting people with fur coats or blowing up labs where animals are used for testing. I am not against gun ownership, though I do draw the line at things like oozies. I am pro-choice, but I am not pro-abortion either. I just believe to have a healthy country, we have to have healthy citizens. I believe we need to give people a hand up to being self sufficient. I do not believe it very forward thinking for Republicans to play the pro-life card, but then resent the hell out of helping the mothers and babies once the babies are born. I am just angry with mean people who have the attitude :"Let them eat cake."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Then redneck being an insult is in the mind of the person who says it. We don't think it's an insult down south.

I'm not a redneck. If someone calls me one, I'm going to think this person just doesn't understand that the south, like any region, has every kind of culture and some are refined and some are more simple. I'd probably laugh. I'm the kid whose Atlanta born mother used to make her kids pay her nickels for every bad piece of grammar we used. She told us we were southerners and there were people who would think we were stupid just because of our accents. So I lost many nickels for double negatives, ending the sentence with a preposition, ain't, ax, and even saying man like people did in the 60's. My mom played classical piano on a baby grand growing up. She was quite the lady unless you made her angry when no one else was around. Then she could curse or cuss with the best of them.

• Violia
    Violia

Edit to say: My bro played Canvas Bags for an old friend. She didn't get it. She just kept assuring him that she takes her canvas bags to the supermarket. He kept trying to EXPLAIN the irony. She still just kept assuring him. She's sweet, and he loves her to death, but has to accept that irony will not be her thing.

I joined his site some time ago, had to pass a test to get on it. The song " Canvas bags" is a bit like " Storm". On one hand he is as he puts it " taking the piss out of hippies" with Storm, but he was also doing that with Cavvas Bags --and also he hates plastic bags.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I wonder, if I say tree hugging liberal, does it make anyone mad?

It does not make me mad---quite the contrary, I often refer to myself as such---Especially with my conservative friends. See I know they use such terms ina a deragatory manner---and this is ME acknowledging that I am not ashamed of the principals I stand by, and that I actually find people critical of those principals to be quite wrong. Just like when they call Obama "professor". While it is meant to be derogatory, I believe it says a lot more about the critic to hold education and intelligence in disdain.

What is wrong with caring about the environment? The person using such a term to put me down is the one that should be ashamed, not me. So yes, I'm a tree hugging liberal. Say it in any tone they like. If they say it with contempt, then I consider their values in this area lacking. And then I make sure to give the peace sign as we part. They always chuckle, so I have the feeling they don't take themselves too seriously either.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I joined his site some time ago, had to pass a test to get on it. The song " Canvas bags" is a bit like " Storm". On one hand he is as he puts it " taking the piss out of hippies" with Storm, but he was also doing that with Cavvas Bags --and also he hates plastic bags

But he's also taking an incredibly complex problem (the environment, which he does care about) and offering up a stunningly simple solution. As if the answer was there all the time, but no one stumbled on it. He does the same thing in his Palestenian Peace Anthem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UO6YlkYNJQ

• Violia
    Violia

yes, agree, incredibly simple answers and an overblown video . I missed him when he was in town, hope he comes back. Have you seen his Bears video? he he Bears don't dig on dancing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I care about the environment. I just don't agree with spraypainting people while they are wearing fur and crazy stuff like that. I wear leather shoes.

And protect animals and think before you cut down a lot of trees for the wood or to build farmland. I've heard a theory that the Sahara desert began when people cut too many trees to make farmland. Be reasonable. But no blowing up animal testing labs and shooting lab workers, okay?

• Violia
    Violia

Here's the page I took the statement from Tim about "taking the piss out of hippies" . he laughs b/c a lot of hippies thought he was one of them ( he got them with canvas bags song) and then he did " Storm" ( lol at them) . Tim is very far away from being a hippy, he is the son of a doctor and has lead a very conventional life .

http://www.angry-feet.com/press.php?mode=view&id=169

yeah, NC, if you don't eat pigs and I don't eat pigs...

Tim Minchin is an envoy for peace .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit