Fox News

by StopTheTears 137 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

V. I must have missed it, cuz I never classified Minch as a hippy. LOL I mean, I think he has a lot of liberal values, but when it comes to lifestyle---not so much. I always saw Canvas Bags as a bit mocking, but with a valid message. I loved when he opened his shirt on stage and had wind blowing against it---soooo Bono. And I like how he makes fun of the angsty songs so popular with the TEENAGED MARKET. But he also pokes fun at himself in Rock-n-Roll nerd. So maybe it's pretentiousness he doesn't like.

BTW I laughed soooo hard when he did Dark Side. How does he make it funny? We had heard it so many times, what could be unexpected? So when it came time for him to start the fog machine---it. just. didn't. stop! He completely disappeared! We could smell it strongly and it was creeping out over the audience. And when we felt like the joke was over---it just kept coming. God it was funny. My stomach was hurting. FINALLY it stopped, and they had to turn fans on to clear the air and so that we could finally see our Minchin again. The stage had been absolutely lost in fog.

But he didn't do So F**king Rock, which was a disappointment, because I think that one would be freaking wonderful live. He came out for an ovation and he did Hallelujah, which was so great. I've watched the vid so many times, because it is so out of character, yet he gave it his all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrmOTkcfZgA

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Just another word on Dark Side---for V. V, he's amazing. When he does that thunder roll on the piano, with the lights down and red, it just sent chills down my arms. He is phenomenal at pretty much manipulating audience emotions, and even though we knew the song was a joke, the feeling was in no way lost. LOL

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

well, well, well

i'm gonna call it a truce for peace sake (and peacefiul men like MLK)..........

but, now you know: how I feel when you take a word of mine out context, and call me a racist!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The term "redneck" is derogatory based on context.

FHN used it in a derogatory way. Trying to walk it back afterwards doesn't change it.

Perhaps it doesn't qualify under a definition of "racist," but it is very close to it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Botch, give it up. It's not a racist term and it's not a derogatory term. We've established this. Maybe to a northerner it's a derogatory term. To us deep south southerners, it's not. Last night I was watching Blue Collar Comedy Tour: 10 Years. Watch it sometime. We embrace the term. And you and Da Cheech don't have a problem with my using fundamentalists in the same sentence. Which shows you're just grasping at anything to try to discredit what I said. You can tear almost anyone's post into shreds and make it say something it didn't say, if you're trying to straw man it.

but, now you know: how I feel when you take a word of mine out context, and call me a racist!

Have I ever called you a racist?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This is the closest definition to my own definition I could find anywhere:

"I am not sure where the word originated from, but where I grew up if you were called a redneck it usually meant that you grew up on a farm or on a dirt road that was about 10-20 miles away from the nearest main road. And that you dressed in nothing but jeans a tshirt and usually workboots and that you loved the outdoors and drive a dirty pickup. And your english wasnt the best and you do everything old fashioned and traditional. Just like a hillbilly, we grew up in the woods and hunting was a family sport. It was 'quality time' lol"

That's a close definition, but not exact. Simple, country lifestyle, but with an edge. Just as fundamentalism is simple religion. Either group tends to not be into deeply tearing apart politics. They tend to want to trust in "God's Party", to do their thinking for them. That kind of simplicity probably makes for happier people. My doctor says the deeper we think, the more likely we are to be depressed. Neither is better, the simple thinker or the deep thinker. When it comes to politics and Fox News, though, it's dangerous not to think for yourself.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

PAUL'S FLIGHTS FLY IN FACE OF CUT-SPENDING THEME

That was the Jan. 17, 2012 headline of a story carried by the Associated Press. It said that Ron Paul has been spending large amounts of government money on first class airline tickets to fly home.

I heard about this on MSNBC on Lawrence O'Donnell's, The Last Word. But then Lawrence did something---he reseached the story. It turns out the story is misleading and downright false. Lawrence O'Donnell slammed AP for writing it. He is no fan of Ron Paul. Yet he still called out the AP rather forcefully for misrepresenting RP's practice.

I thought of this thread. I thought about FOX news. Could we have expected this from them had a paper inaccurately reported something about Obama? I don't think so. Because I have seen them pick up inaccuracies in the morning that by night have been "widely reported". I believe that is how this would have been handled by them. Comparisons between MSNBC and FOX news draw false equivalencies. Does MSNBC lean left? Yes they do. Do they do it at the expense of the facts? No. Nobody can say the same about FOX. Everything is fair game to them.

NC

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Do they do it at the expense of the facts? No.

But they do. Cherry picking one good journalistic example by a single MSNBC commentator does not mean they do not. There is no false equivalency. MSNBC and FOX News may represent different ends of the ideological spectrum, but they both engage in the same games.

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/according-to-msnbc-ron-paul-isnt-in-the-presidential-race/question-2373233/

Here is MSNBC's "Politics" home page today (one day before the Iowa caucus). Notice how every candidate BUT Ron Paul is shown. The media bias is becoming more tragic with every passing month.

Whether you agree with Ron Paul or not isn't the issue. The issue is this public allows this to stand and it's wrong as well as a slap in the face of honest election procedure(not that I believe we've had honest election procedure in decades).

Reddit is down, so the Google headline quote will have to do:

MSNBC slanders Ron Paul, badly misquotes him about Jim Crow

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEQQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fpolitics%2Fcomments%2Fo03jd%2Fmsnbc_slanders_ron_paul_badly_misquotes_him_about%2F&ei=2BMXT-z9HciDtgfVpdiPAw&usg=AFQjCNGpDSsfJzpn67UbcRuC5H9giMzKiA

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Looks like O'Donnell had a brief moment of temporary insanity leading to a temporary flash of journalistic integrity regarding the flight data. Here's the O'Donnell we all know and loathe:

MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: “Ron Paul a Fraud…Huntsman Came in 2nd Place”

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

BTS--O'Donnell voiced his opinion---Ron Paul is not a viable candidate. His second place was a fraud. Not that he did anything fraudulent---but that he isn't a real republican. I agree with that. You may not like that O'donnell dismisses RP, but that is his opinion. And as it turns out, he is right. Ron Paul will not be president this cycle and probably never. How can he be a real republican when he stands where he does on social issues? I consider his stand on social issues a fraud also, since what he really seeks to do, is give states the right to allow discrimination by weakening the Fed. govt. So he's really not about personal liberty--he just wants it to be regulated at a different level with no interference from the federal government. FRAUD.

The fundies were supporting him because they want to institute state churches and give some people more rights than others. They want to bring back pre-1960's south. This is why he is a fraud to me. Because under the guise of personal liberty, his policies would free the states to act however they want to personal liberty, and he is just fine with that.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit