so i started the jeep in the darage

by oompa 192 Replies latest members private

• Odrade
    Odrade

congrats Bizzy. That's impressive.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

I checked out AA when I was worshipping at the altar of the Single Malt God . . .

It was WAY too much like the cult I was running from . . .

• KenseiShimonzu
    KenseiShimonzu

No,I don't expect MOST people to be able to do it..However,i will let people know that it can done,with adamant resolve and determination to not see it go any other way.

I've had to be "strong" my entire life,i come from a single parent family where my dad was not present,and had no part in my upbringing other than a few instances i clearly recall. As a result of that,I had to become my own dad.I had to compensate for what some others had,and used to their advantage on occasion,that i did not,it was hard,but i'm a better person today for it.

When you don't have a "daddy" to run to,when someone whips your ass..you learn to fight....you also learn how to survive the beatings when you can't win..When it's time to get a job,and you can't rely on "daddy" for a family business to get started at,or even work leads and connections...as you can imagine..it's a little tough..at that point you don't know how the working world work's from a man's perspective,so you get taken advantage of plenty of times,because you're "green"...Then you have no "daddy" to teach you the essential "man things" every man should know,or even to show you how to be a respectable,responsible man..all you have in the world is a mom,who has to bust her ass round the clock just to keep everything paid,and food on the table..you tend to learn responsibility,and accountability very quickly...I could've went out and did a bunch of BS,like some of my friends in similar situation did,and and ruin any chance at a decent life i could have had,hell,i could've even used my upbringing as my excuse for why i would be in that situation...But guess what i did instead?

I took my upbringing and instead of using it as my excuse for failure,i used it as one of my REASONS to succeed..my favorite motto was:"When life hands you sh!t,use it to fertilize your crops"...I'm educated from "The School of Hard Knocks" where the only diploma you get is a decent life..if you fail the class,you essentially fail life,and that's something i'm not willing to do,when i know there's better out there for me....NEVER surrender-KenShi

• onacruse
    onacruse

Odrade:

it makes no difference to me.

Then why did you even post? That kind of personal indifference only serves to reinforce the sense of "unworthiness" with which an alcoholic is already struggling.

Locutus:

It was WAY too much like the cult I was running from

Yes, it can be. Many people I knew in AA had been going there for decades, and for some of them it was almost like another religion...albeit a religion of sobriety. That's why I had to search for a bit until I found one that didn't remind me so much of going to a KH.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Kensei:

No,I don't expect MOST people to be able to do it..However,i will let people know that it can done,with adamant resolve and determination to not see it go any other way.

You are correct...which is why I said that the vast majority of alcoholics need to get involved with a group therapy environment (like AA). Not every alcoholic must needs follow that path. For example, my Dad acknowledged within himself some 30 years ago that he was an alcoholic, and he hasn't had a drink since, though never having sought any treatment of any kind.

Unfortunately, that "alternative" is one in which only too many alcoholics find refuge: "I can do it. I can do it! I KNOW I CAN DO IT!!!!"...only to find themselves failing themselves time and again. It's not, for most of us, a matter of willpower alone.

Respects to you for your success,

Craig

• jimbo
    jimbo

Damn!!

Oompa, you have a 1980 Jeep CJ-7?? That should be a great project. I have always wanted one. I have a little Suzuki Samari that needs worked on but I don't have a garage and its cold here. Well next spring I guess.

What are you doing to the Jeep??

Jimbo

• KenseiShimonzu
    KenseiShimonzu

Sorry i didn't specify onacruse,i was answering Locust of Borg from above,but thanks for the reply:P-KenShi

• Odrade
    Odrade

Ona, it makes no difference to me in that, if he continues to behave the same way my life will go on exactly as before, with the slight exception of continuing to see the same posts here. If he does decide to act like an adult, my life will go on exactly as before, with the slight exception of knowing that someone of passing acquaintance got his shit together.

Why did I post? What difference does that make to you? Will it make a difference? Or will your life go on exactly as it did before? Perspective is quite healthy.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Odrade:

Ona, it makes no difference to me in that, if he continues to behave the same way my life will go on exactly as before, with the slight exception of continuing to see the same posts here. If he does decide to act like an adult, my life will go on exactly as before, with the slight exception of knowing that someone of passing acquaintance got his shit together.

So, it still doesn't really matter to you. Congrats.

Why did I post? What difference does that make to you? Will it make a difference?

It makes the difference to me that frivolous, uninformed and pedantic assertions do cause damage, even if they're "only" posted on a discussion board. I suggest that you walk the walk before you talk the talk.

Or will your life go on exactly as it did before?

No, it will not go on exactly as before. Whether I ever meet oompa, or talk with him, or find out that he ultimately committed suicide, it will matter to me, on a very personal level, as a reminder of the demons with which an alcoholic struggles, oftentimes unsuccessfully.

Perspective is quite healthy.

Yes, it is. I suggest that you get some of it for yourself, along with a healthy dose of empathy.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Onacruse +1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit