Who thinks Cannabis/Marihuana should be legalised?

by lfcviking 137 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

Absolutely, it shoud be legalized. And no, you should not have to buy it from the government or pay taxes on it. It is a plant and should not be restricted to anyone, as it does no serious harm.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Was he a criminal for breaking an unjust and ridiculous law?

If he was not convicted, he was not a criminal. The law can be no more plain. If he was convicted, he was a criminal.

• eclipse
    eclipse

It all depends what country you are in.

In the countries where buying and smoking weed is legal, you are not a criminal.

In america, you are called a criminal by JD's defintion for doing the exact same thing.

Criminals are people who commit crimes against someone else, their property or a business or other organization.

People who have illegal grow ops are breaking the law because they pay no taxes on the income they make.

If it was regulated, and the gov't made it legal to grow in proper greenhouses, and the product would be sold much more cheaply,

the people would then buy from the gov't as long as it was good grade weed. The gov't makes a profit, it's a win-win situation.

There is many medicinal uses for marijuana. It was used in cough syrup for children back in the early 1900's because it helps open up the bronchial tubes, quiets a cough, and helps with breathing.

It was only stopped when people started going prohibition crazy and they realized that this was a substance that induced a high.

People were scared, and uneducated about it's effects and side-effects, so they banned it.

The people who are buying for personal use only, not for distribution purposes, are not criminals,

They are the same as those people who buys smokes at the store, or beer or alcohol for their personal enjoyment.

The only difference is that in america it isn't legal to do so.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    In america, you are called a criminal by JD's defintion for doing the exact same thing.

Agreed. The term "criminal" is a legal term applied to the relationship between an individual's actions and what the law dictates. We can make arguments for whether the law is just or correct all day long, but these have no bearing on what a criminal is. In fact, if the legislature were to legalize marijuana today, people convicted under marijuana laws prior to the statute would still be criminals under the saving statute. They would have a good case for a pardon, but breaking the law is breaking the law is being criminal regardless if the law is right or wrong.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Are we to define things by the way you think they're defined? Come now, you're smarter than that

Sure, I'll admit to a touch of megalomania

If he was convicted, he was a criminal.

If the jails filled up with all of these "criminals" for offending Jim Crow would it have been circular reasoning to say:

There is so much jail space wasted on people guilty of drinking from the wrong fountain that could be used for true criminals.

I know I am a scofflaw JD. I also know the definitions of legal, illegal, criminal and noncriminal. Im just trying to get you to think in terms of real people instead of abstractions of what society in general, or oppressive governments feel is right or wrong.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I know I am a scofflaw JD. I also know the definitions of legal, illegal, criminal and noncriminal. Im just trying to get you to think in terms of real people instead of abstractions of what society in general, or oppressive governments feel is right or wrong.

I've got no problem with such discussions, but don't use legal terms in subjective ways and expect to make a good argument. If something is your opinion, don't misapply a legal term; instead state it as your opinion and you'll enjoy more credibility.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

JD, whether something is legal or not IS just an opinion. It is just usually the OPINION of the powerful over the powerless.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I have only smoked pot legally. I paid full price to a legally established "coffee house" that included a hefty tax to the Dutch government.

Upon returning to the US and "da Troof" I eventually confessed my heinous sin (among a few others) to the duly qualified window-washing, nail-pounding, pool-cleaning representatives of the Universal Sovereign and was granted absolution through the merits of the ransom sacrifice of the Governing Body.

I feel so law-abiding.

Open Mind

p.s. Oh yeah. Legalize it and tax it.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    JD, whether something is legal or not IS just an opinion.

And some opinions are very weighty and important, no?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    And some opinions are very weighty and important, no?

Absolutely JD, and some become so weighty they should be cast off as an unnecessary, oppressive burden.

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit