A question for all Whisky drinkers.

by lfcviking 125 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Oh yeah!

Earthy is a good thing.

Thanks again, I'll provide a full report.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Currently enjoying this (delicious):

MIDLETON VERY RARE 2006 IRISH WHISKEY

Categories: Irish WhiskeyProduct Code: 23760
    Vintage: Ratings: RP: ST: WS:
    Everyday Price: $124.99 Sale Price: $99.99
    Size:
    750ML

More Information About MIDLETON VERY RARE 2006 IRISH WHISKEY
    Midleton Very Rare is a magnificent blend of the finest distillates hand-picked by the Master Distiller, Barry Crockett. Midleton Very Rare is one of Ireland's most exclusive whiskeys. Whiskeys from the old Midleton distillery have always been acknowledged as special, but this top Irish whiskey takes its name from the east Cork distillery town. This whiskey is aged between 12 and 25 years, and is matured exclusively in seasoned Bourbon barrels. Midleton Very Rare was launched in 1984 to celebrate the whiskeys of the Midleton distillery, and a new vintage has been released every year since then. Each bottle carries its own individual number and the signature of our Master Distiller. This annual release of a new vintage is a departure for the whiskeys of Irish Distillers where consistency from year to year is highly valued. The individual nature of the selection process for each vintage of Midleton Very Rare means that each years vintage provides its own character.

</form>
  • sf
    sf

My preference is a blended whisky. My favorite is Lord Calvert. On the rocks with a Coke back.

sKally

• TopHat
    TopHat

"Old Crow" What Else!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was a die hard Canadian whiskey drinker..Untill..I tasted Highland 18 year old Scotch..That is one fine whiskey!...OUTLAW

• Frank75
    Frank75

Man! I can't believe I have missed this thread!

I am a die hard Scotch drinker and my preference is Single Malts, but if I must have a blend it is Chivas or my favorite JW Blue Label (I have a bottle always in reserve sealed and one open.....you never know when you feel like celebrating something!)

I tend to prefer the older Scotch as I have become a real snob about the stuff. For those who drink it neat, I was with you for years, always spurning the water (or anyone asking for ice or a water mix - they can have the Teachers!). Then about 15 years back I went to a Scotch tasting hosted by JW (Johnny Walker) and the speaker was the Chief Distiller at Cardhu. Cardhu is very nice Scotch in its own right and it is the only one my wife will drink. Cardhu makes up more than 50% of the Johnny Walker blended Scotch.

So there we are with our mouth watering single malts in front of us and he tells us that in order to experience the full flavor of Scotch there has to be a few drops of water added. We were to take a sip of each Scotch, clear our pallet and then add the water and try it again. It changed me, so give it a try! Just a tiny splash makes all the difference in the world.

Lagavulin (no matter how you pronounce it), Oban, Knockando, Talisker, Auchentoshan.....you name it. There is a scotch for every occasion and I have a red nose to prove it!

The Macallan 18 year old has been mentioned, it is a very nice over all and sure to please. They also have a great line of specialty scotches like their Elegancia or cask strength. They also have a 50 year old that my wife says she wants to get for my birthday. Here's hoping!

The others mentioned here I have enjoyed and as they say, I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed for eating crackers! One that I didn't see listed is called Bruichladdich. If you can find it, give it a try as the 10 year old and 15 year old are two of my faves.

Te Bheag (Che Veck in Gaelic) is un-chilled filtered which is closest to what scotch drinkers drank before Scotch became so commercial. It is claimed to be the most genuine Gaelic Whisky. No disappointment there.

The Brass ring still has to go to this one from Glennfiddich which is 50 year old. The one behind it, Bowmore 30 year old is superb as well for a lot less money

Stop drooling!!

Frank75

• merfi
    merfi

Not an expert by any means here, but I've tried a few different whiskeys and scotches. I went through a phase a couple years ago. Can't remember the names now. (maybe they were THAT GOOD?)

I remain a Jack girl.

~merfi

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

So there we are with our mouth watering single malts in front of us and he tells us that in order to experience the full flavor of Scotch there has to be a few drops of water added. We were to take a sip of each Scotch, clear our pallet and then add the water and try it again. It changed me, so give it a try! Just a tiny splash makes all the difference in the world.

Amen Frank75! That's how it's done!

And I love the Bruichladdich as well. Snuck in this reference back on the first page:

One more special one - Bruichladdich XVII. One whisky bible of note describes it thusly," soft and rough lovemaking to the palate."Jim Murray's Whisky Bible (3rd Year)

Here's what I'll be drinking after work tonight:

Nvr

Cheers to all!

• Frank75
    Frank75

NVR:

Sorry I missed your calling out of the Bruichladdick XVII. For an Islay Scotch it has to be one of the best bangs for the buck. Not too salty or peaty but robust for the true enthusiast. Bourbon drinkers should try this as Bruichladdic prefers using American Oak Casks for aging as opposed to the typical Port and Sherry casks of the other Singles.

About 10 years ago the Liquor store up here (Government run) manager (who is a dub by the way that got to about 3 meetings a year and now he even shuns me!) told me that Bruichladdich was closing their distillery so I bought up every last drop in about a 50 mile radius. I even took some with me to the DR!

They actually had closed the distillery some years before and it was just the delay of product coming to market. Upon further investigation I found that the distillery was bought out and because of age was renovated top to bottom which took a number of years.

I don't know if you got the brochure in one of your bottles, but these guys actually offered to the public whole casks of future scotch runs. You could buy a barrel, and commission them to bottle it at 10,15 or 20 years in the future for a nominal fee. They would even do up a special label for you at the time of bottling. Barrel 200L, Hogshead 250L or Butts 500L. The Butt was about 2400 pounds! or $5000. That's a lot of Scotch! At least a years worth anyway.

I stared at that brochure for weeks. I recognized the wisdom of making such a plan for the inevitable future. However even though I left or was in the process of leaving the JW's, I could not bring myself to make the purchase.

I have my eye on the 20 year old "Digestif

They recommend the following: "Add a dash of spring water (5%) to release the full flavours and bouquet"

I must admit I do not recall ever trying Glenfarclas. What praises ye sing de thee?

Slainte Mhath (actually the islanders are more apt to say "Up yours" if you believe that)

Frank75

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I stared at that brochure for weeks. I recognized the wisdom of making such a plan for the inevitable future. However even though I left or was in the process of leaving the JW's, I could not bring myself to make the purchase.

Ditto Frank75! Was a tantalizing offer, but circumstances did not permit.

Re: You taking your Scotch with you to the DR. Mildly funny story. When I was there I asked the owner of the bodega for a bottle of Dewar's, in my impeccable spanish. He looked at me dumbfounded. I repeated my request for the Doo-uhrs. He angrily corrected me..........DAY-WARS! accompanied by his most disgusted "stupid gringo" look. Got to love those Dominicans. LOL!

Here are some tasting notes on the Glenfarclas:

Tasting Notes

Martine Nouet

Nose
    Floral. Heather. Lots of herbal notes. Fresh coriander, dill, parsley.
    Palate
    Lovely fresh feel. Soothing sweetness. Fresh pulpy fruit. Peaches, pears. Develops on bakery notes. Oak keeps its grip but without overdoing it.
    Finish
    Long, oaky, spicy.
    Comment
    A bunch of interesting flavours displayed in an elegant oak frame.

Dave Broom

Nose
    Clean, rich, dried fruit, stewed rhubarb, raffia. Weighty, concentrated, slightly fungal, deep, Dries a little with water.
    Palate
    Instead of a blast of weight this spreads discreetly across the tongue. Good complexity and fine balance. Plenty of black fruits. Best neat, though water shows how deep the flavours are.
    Finish
    Nutty and slightly astringent.
    Comment
    A good example of a whisky at the start of its mature phase.

Cheers!

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit