A question for all Whisky drinkers.

by lfcviking 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Little Toe, your post prompts a question. Is American bourbon commonly offered in your pubs and package shops? Is it priced a lot higher than domestic Scotch?

As I recall from pub hopping in and around London, Scotch was just as expensive as in the US. I bought a bottle of White Horse at a shop in Oxford and after converting the price to dollars I felt I could have maybe beat the price at home. Of course, it tasted better over there.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Jim Beam is my all time favorite

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I know this topic is really over but I remembered a Chivas experience. Years ago (but still post-JW) went to dinner at the house of a Korean friend (she served garlic with every course, sauted, stewed, pickled, preserved in honey, about seven different ways.) My boy friend at the time and I liked Chivas Regal and someone had given her a CASE of Chivas for christmas. She didn't drink at all and didn't have a clue. She served us the Chivas in water glasses and kept topping them off. I was hammered before I knew it, and my boy friend thankfully started pouring his in the plants when she wasn't looking, although all that did was make her top up his glass again but at least he wasn't too drunk to drive home. I kept hoping she'd give us a bottle, but she didn't.

• Gregor
    Gregor

That reminds me of the Japanese. They love scotch, especially Chivas Regal. They distill a Japanese "Scotch", Suntory, that is very good. In some bars and restaurants in Japan, customers keep their personal marked bottles of scotch in glass cases on the premises.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

You rock Hortensia! And no this thread is not over! Long live lfcviking's whisky thread!

Good call about the Suntory, Gregor. I think the movie Lost in Translation featured Bill Murray as an American actor in Japan doing an ad campaign (photo-shoot) for Suntory. I have yet to try it. Is it any good?

Regards,

Nvr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Trying this right now, and I highly recommend it!

padWild Turkey American Honey Liqueur

The only bourbon-based liqueur on the market, Wild Turkey liqueur brings out the best flavors of our premium bourbon, but with real honey to give it a sweetness that's hard to resist. The palate is a bit like syrup and glides around the mouth with obvious notes of vanilla and citrus.

Perfectly suited for after-dinner consumption, it rounds-out Wild Turkey?s portfolio of exceptional products. Wild Turkey Liqueur also marries well with Wild Turkey Bourbon to make a Kentucky-style "Golden Nail." It also goes well with vanilla ice cream, pecan pie, or as an ingredient in a butterscotch sauce.

Wild Turkey Liqueur is the recipient of a Silver Medal at the 2000 San Francisco World Spirits Competition

BA- This thread will never die.

PS- Cheers, drink up!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Enjoying some 1990(bottled in 2005) Dalwhinnie Double-Matured Single Highland Malt.

Very nice.

Cheers to all.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Currently enjoying:

sazerac rye 18 year old bourbon. - Amber chestnut color. Huge, spicy aroma. Very mature, with notes of oak, leather, and molasses. Enormous in every respect, from its thick, chewy texture to its unbelievably spicy and very powerful flavors. The long, warm finish is preceded by notes of mint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, vanilla, molasses, oak, leather, and lingering pepper. "This is an amazing, truly unique whiskey. There is no rye whiskey on the market that is as old or perfectly balanced as this one. For all who can't get enough flavors and intensity in your whiskey, your search has ended."

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    sazerac rye 18 year old bourbon

Thanks for the tip Bro. I'll be purchasing a bottle on the morrow. I know you'd never steer a fellow apostate wrong.

Nvrdrnknchpsht

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

nvrgnbk,

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, provided that you like the earthy flavors of a great rye whiskey. Incidentally, did you know that Rye was the most popular whiskey in the US prior to prohibition?

And for good reason, methinks!

BA- Enjoy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit