A question for all Whisky drinkers.

by lfcviking 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

When I began drinking Single Malts in the early '90's, I, too drank them unadulterated with water, until I found many more experienced drinkers were adding a splash or two of water. I quickly learned that the adding of water to a fine Scotch (and incidentally, this also is true of any fine whiskey) brings out its best character.

Lately ( in the last few years) I have found I like even more water, (say 2/3 whiskey to 1/3 water), which I find is even more agreeable to my taste.

To my knowledge, I've never tried Bruichladdich or Te Bheag, but I could be mistaken, as I've tried thousands of various libations over the decades.

I'll have to make it a point to try them for sure.

As for the Midleton, I can say it was without a doubt the finest and most complex Irish Whiskeyy I've had, but a tad pricey comapred to fine Scotch, or especially, fine Rye Whiskey.

BA- Sipping on a fine red Cabernet at the moment.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hey there BroA! I haven't been able to locate the Rye you had recommended. Could you perhaps pm a brotha re: its

whereabouts. Enjoy your Cab! Which one you partaking of?

Nvr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Nvr,

From Tuscany- Centine- 2004, a blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot- somewhat chewy, but old enough for the tannins to have developed into notes of blackberry, cherry and plum notes.

The Sazerac rye can be found by calling a State Store near you, they can tell you who carries it in your area. Mine was purchased in Hanover, to the best of my recollection.

Cheers,

BA

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks Bro A!

And cheers to you sir!

Nvr

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Drinking Strathisla tonight.

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

I prefer the any Scotch or Bourbon that is smooth on th palate.

Wild Turkey is a favorite of the bourbons for me, whereas Cougar Bourbon and Jim Beam is okay as a cheaper option. I have tried others but generally they are out of the price factor.

Glenlivet, Chivas Regal, Glenfiddich and any 12+ year old Scotch is hardly an option as they have all different niches on the palate. White Heather, Vat 69 and Teachers are the best options as they are mildly cheaper. Teachers has a very smooth texture to it and not as harsh as Black Douglas.

Southern Comfort is actually a liquior not a spirit! But it's nice thought along with Kahlua.

I'm a vodka drinker and straight at that! however there are not that many good vodka's around in Australia anymore. The Polish always make the best Vodka. Polska is my choice but nobody imports it here anymore.

But I'll always have my Bundaberg Rum, OP is always better than the UP (but alot dearer as well), and the liquior selection is very nice as well. They have a song here that is old as the hills and one oldtimer couldn't believe his ears when I was singing it at the pub one day. The song is the following:

Bundaberg Rum

God made the sugarcane grow where it's hot,
    And teetotal abstainers to grow where it is not,
    Let the Sin Bosun warn of perdition to come,
    We'll drink it, and chance it, so bring on the rum.

Bundaberg Rum, Overproof Rum,
    Will tan your insides and grow hair on your bum,
    Let the Blue Ribbon beat on his old empty drum,
    Or his waterlogged belly, we'll stick to our rum.

These are men who drink it, men indeed,
    Men of the Bushranging oldtime hairy-necked breed,
    They shave with their axes, they dress in old rags,
    They feed on old boots, they sleep on old bags.
    Dull care flies away when their voices resound,
    And the grass shrivels up when they spit on the ground.

When they finally die and are sunk in the clay,
    Their bodies are pickled and never decay,
    On the morning of judgement, when the skies are rolled back,
    They'd stroll from their graves up the long golden track,
    And their voices would echo throughout Kingdom Come,
    As they toast the Archangels in Bundaberg Rum.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm a vodka drinker and straight at that! however there are not that many good vodka's around in Australia anymore. The Polish always make the best Vodka. Polska is my choice but nobody imports it here anymore.

Check out Luksosowa. That's a nice Polish vodka. I'm not sure I get you on the whole Scotch thing( Vat 69? ). Money isn't everything you know? Cheers!

Nvr

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

I found this one a little while ago & have come to appreciate it.....

alt

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I found this one a little while ago & have come to appreciate it.....

alt

It is lovely HAL9000. The Sherry finish is key. Nice pick! Cheers!

Nvr

• Kent
    Kent

There is a reason American Whisky isn't even CALLED whisky. It's named whiskEy!

Aftershave is used in your face after shaving, you don't drink it - he, he.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit