A question for all Whisky drinkers.

by lfcviking 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Frank75
    Frank75

Could the little beaners have made the bottle any more phallic?

Frank75

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Just cracked a bottle of this good stuff!

Cheers to all!

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

I am getting a great scotch education!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I am getting a great scotch education!

Here's a little more info for ya Black Unicorn.

Whether you're a long-time Single Malt fan or someone who enjoys a nip now and again, there's a Bowmore Single Malt that's perfect for you. With so many vintages and expressions to choose from, you might wonder how you'll find "your" Bowmore. We have a suggestion: host a Bowmore Tasting! Simply invite a group of friends, and ask them each to bring a different Bowmore vintage or expression with them to the Tasting.

The shape of these glasses helps to capture the aromatics that will develop and emanate from the whisky.
    The water should be uncarbonated, without chemicals or additives, and at room temperature; spring water is preferable. Use splashes of water to dilute the whisky --

You and your fellow tasters may want to write down your observations on the Bowmore range of vintages and expressions, and then compare notes after each tasting.

Pour small amounts of each Bowmore vintage or expression into different snifters. You may choose to dilute with water or taste the whisky without water (neat) -- see "Essentials," above, for more information. Begin your tasting with the lightest in body (see Bowmore: The Range for details) and progress to the most full-bodied.

Consider the depth and clarity, as well as the overall color of the whisky. Bowmore can range in color from a light gold to a deep, fiery amber; this color comes from the kind of cask in which the whisky was matured and the length of time it was aged. Bowmore uses the finest American and Spanish oak casks, which hold the whisky for anywhere from 12 to 40 years.
    Swirl the snifter gently to release the aroma, and smell (nose) the whisky. You may be able to judge the strength by noticing whether the aroma prickles, dries or even slightly burns the inside of your nose. Also, you might detect certain characteristics, such as a flowery, fruity, sweet or smoky bouquet. Bowmore's range of "noses" includes geranium, apple, vanilla, sherry, chocolate, caramel and peat.
    Take a sip of the whisky, and slowly swallow. Take note of the difference in taste from when it first enters your mouth to when you allow it to move across your tongue. Bowmore's vintages and expressions offer a wide variety of palates -- from sweet and smoky to dry and salty.
    After you swallow, try to think about how the whisky "finishes." Bowmore's finishes range widely, from mellow and softly warm to strong and long-lasting.
    For complete tasting notes on Bowmore's range of Single Malt Scotch Whiskies, see Bowmore: The Range.

Enjoy your tasting! Slainte!

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

Actally..Jack Daniels at room temp., with a very cold, semi amber beer as a chaser...........or A fine Single malt will do......any of the 'Glens'....(I know, I know....I sound sacreligious...whatever.I just like ta drink.)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Here's one for you passive suicide! And one for the Black Unicorn too, if she shows up! Cheers!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Back with this stuff tonight! And just finished a Macanudo Robusto! What a combo!

Cheers to all!

• exjdub
    exjdub

All of this is great information...but I caught it late and I need some input! I have wanted to give Scotch as a gift to some of my customers at the end of the year. What would be a good Scotch to give around the $100.00 range? Any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

exjdub

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

exjdub- Firstly, one can never be late to a whisky thread. Glad we got that out of the way.

100$ is more than sufficient to by some very nice single-malt Scotch. 60 to 80$ should cover you.

Check out the pages of this thread and make some picks, they're all good. If you like, run them past me or Frank75 or BrotherA( who seems to be MIA at the moment , and good for him!) or anyone else, hope I'm not leaving any other Scotch experts out( I hate excluding people inadvertently). Oops! Of course Little Toe( Ross) as well. And ninja lives in Glasgow, and appreciates a good dram or five. I'm sure there are many more willing to assist. We'll help you decide on your final selections.

Yours in the struggle to identify, obtain, and enjoy fine Scotch,

Nvr

• Frank75
    Frank75

Back with this stuff tonight! (Bowmore 17) And just finished a Macanudo Robusto! What a combo!

NVR

What a combo indeed. A good cuban and a sweet pre 18 YO Scotch. Which was dominant might I ask? Was any spanking involved?

I paired a 30 YO Bowmore (yeah you know the one) with a Macanudo Maduro. It is very nice, not quite a MILF of a scotch but more like a Cougar.....LOL!

Comments on line for the 30 YO

Bowmore30 Year: Altogether different from any others. Did this come from the same distillery? Awarded 99 out of 100 points by Wine Enthusiast and 5 out of 5 stars from F. Paul Pacult, spirits guru!

Now to take a few long drags on a Macanudo Maduro leaf. hmmmm!

The aroma of sweet chocolate fills the air and compliments the pallet full of cinnamon apples, coffee and fruity espresso from the Bowmore.

alt

There is nothing ordinary about the Macanudo Maduro and outside of Cuba the only rival I have found in the price range is Ashton's Maduro.....But I am still searching, that is half the fun!!!

Mac's are wound a little tight like Cohiba's, so the draw is a little harder but well worth the exertion with 3 fingers of Bowmore at the ready to lower the heart rate back down.

What say we start a thread on Cigars?

Cheers!

Frank75

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit