A question for all Whisky drinkers.

by lfcviking 125 Replies latest jw friends

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Hello chumz on the board.

Nothing really to do with JWism but who prefers the American 'Bourbon' type such as 'Wild Turkey', 'Jim Beam' etc or who prefers a fine single malt Scotch such as 'Glenfiddich' or 'Glenmorangie'? I am not trying to stir up Nationalism with this question but am just genuinely curious.

LFCV

• I Know what I like, and I like what I know
    I Know what I like, and I like what I know

I prefer scotch single malt.

In the winter: Lagavullin / Bowmore

Summer: Glenkinchie, Cragganmore

Slainthe Mhath!

I know what I like and I like what I know!

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I'm no expert, or anything, and I doubt I could give a coherant description of the distilling and grain differences between bourbon, whiskey and scotch, but...

I like Canadian stuff. Crown when I can afford it and Seagrams VO when I can't. They have such a nice taste to me. Smooth, without much charred oak flavor (I hate charred oak flavor - or rather how alcohol that has been in charred barrels makes me feel the next day). Both brands are light flavored and go well straight, on the rocks, or in a Coke.

I tried really hard to like 'merican stuff (I'm supposed to ya know, bein' 'merican and all), but I get sick evey single time I have some. Jack Daniels is the worst for me - that charcoal filtering process they use puts something in there that just kills me.

Ok, bye now.

LDB

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I like many types of whiskey-

Single Malt Scotches-

MacCallen (18 preferably), Oban, Glenmorangie are favorites (edited to add Dalwhinnie and Lagavulin)

Blended Scotches-

Johnny Walker Blue, Dewar's

Irish-

Bushmills Black or Jameson's 10

Bourbon (Corn) whiskey- Baker's

Rye- Jim Beam or Sazerac

Canadian' Canadian Club, as well as a new one I tried made from maple syrup, called Sortilège

BA- In my opinion, those are the best in each category, and I've tried many, many whiskeys to get to the short list above.

PS- There are however, others, especially Single Malts, that were memorable.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I prefer Bourbons such as Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Old Fitzgerald - but now again a Sour Mash Whiskey such as Jack Daniels is nice

TRIVIA JACK DANIELS IS NOT - I REPEAT NOT A BOURBON

Lagavulin if I am in Scotland or King of Kings (made in Kingussie just south of Aviemore)

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

I prefer Crown over alot of Bourbons. But a good Jack and Coke is good every now and then. But what I really prefer is Rum. Not much into Vodka or Scotch.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

IMHO single malt scotch is where it's at. It obtains distinctive characteristics according to its region of origin. Some more grassy, some salty, some smoky, some slighty sweet, etc. They're all good in their own way. Some of my personal favorites:

Glenmorangie

Dalmore

Dalwhinnie

Glenfarclas

Bowmore

Macallan

Glendronach

Balvenie

Enjoy in moderation, at room temperature, with just a splash of fresh water. Cheers!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

For bourbon fans, Woodford Reserve is super smooth.

I may be a wuss but I also have problems tolerating Jack Daniels.

Bottoms up,

Nvr

• DJK
    DJK

You are right Stillajw. I like Jack Daniels. The town where the distillery is, is a dry town so if you visit there are no samples. Darn.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

The kickin chicken, FC-103, Fighting Cock. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Wiskey aged 6y. Bookers isn't bad either at aprox 123-128 proof. Each barrel is different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit