MY SON WAS ATTACKED!

by Dansk 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Yesterday afternoon my older son, Karl, who is studying Musical Production at Brighton University, came round to see his family. He had just been to see his pregnant girlfriend, who is staying with her mum and dad for a week.

Karl is a wonderful boy; the type of son any parent would be proud of. He is loving, considerate, respectful and has never once caused any trouble or been in any. When he came round yesterday he walked over to me and gave me a really big hug. We are close!

Karl only stayed a couple of hours before packing some clothes in a suitcase-type bag on wheels, which we purchased for his birthday last March (knowing he'd need it for all his travels) and in which he placed another bag containing personal items. He set off to catch the train to Brighton from Manchester, with a change at Watford. He finally got into Brighton around 1.30am this morning and proceeded to walk to his student accommodation - a house he shares with friends.

On the way up the steep hill heading towards the house he noticed a group of around 20 youths, aged 15-16, standing on a corner. Karl proceeded to walk past them and became the victim of name calling, which he ignored. Then, without warning, he was punched in the face. He managed to grab hold of one of the assailants, tearing his jacket, but suddenly realised he was in serious danger. He let go of his luggage and did the most sensible thing - he ran! Some of the youths gave chase but, thankfully, Karl has always been athletic and outpaced them.

Our telephone rang at 3.00 a.m. and, as you can imagine, Claire and I were troubled because early morning calls are not usually ones to be upbeat about. Karl had managed to get to a telephone box, called the police and was picked up by them. He was telephoning us from the police station where he'd been asked to give a statement. Afterwards a police officer drove him home and a witness has revealed the name of one of the attackers.

Manchester, where I live and Karl was brought up, has been called 'Gunchester' because of the amount of shootings which, sadly, are no longer uncommon and which are usually drug-related (and tend to be in a particular area of the city). Since exiting the JWs almost 4 years ago Karl has been a regular traveller to the city centre and has come home in the early hours of the morning. Not once has he been accosted! Amazing, isn't it!

Well, we can't wrap our children, especially young adults (Karl is 21), up in cotton wool. It wouldn't have even mattered if Karl had been a judo expert as there were just too many attackers! As parents we obviously worry about our children and can only offer advice. Recently on the TV news there has been a number of incidents where young men have been set upon by more than one assailant. Some have died and others received brain damage through being kicked continually in the head while on the floor.

Today, Karl is at his house, bruised, shaken and feeling nauseous.We are so thankful that he managed to escape before weight of numbers got him to the ground. The consequences, had this occurred, are too horrifying to contemplate.

Ian

• pmouse
    pmouse

What a horrifying experience! Thank goodness it wasn't worse Ian. I certainly hope he recovers quickly. Those cowards!

• Legolas
    Legolas

That's scary...I'm glad he's alright!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi pmouse:

Those cowards!

Exactly!

Same thing happened to me when I was around 18. It's usually the ringleaders of the group who initiate the attack - but if the victim is unable to get away quickly the gang joins in. I shan't print here what I think of them!!

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Oh Ian, how terrible!

I'm pleased he's more or less ok, but it's awful that such things happen. I hope the police catch all the perpetrtators and lock them up for a while. Give him our best wishes.

love

Linda and Trev

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Dansk thats truly awful. Im so sorry for your son.

15 to 16 year olds - the pieces of shit. They are prolly still in school. In the stafffroom we call them feral. If I had my way I would round them up and put them down. They are never going to contribute anything to society, they have no social skills, and nothing to offer. I hope the police catch them. But a better result would be for a someone bigger to kick the living crap out of them because even a prison sentence would dignify them with warm clean beds, 3 meals a day and a safe environment.

I hope your son recovers physically and emotionally.

• Beardo
    Beardo

This is becoming more common in the inner cities and I have had to face a barrage of insults and sneers from similar braindead morons who feel their only purpose in life is to cause trouble for other (mostly) male members of society.

They are a nuisance and need to be sorted out, but our society is sadly breeding this disaffected attitide and the core of rage that exists within young male hearts. They are increasingly spiralling out of control - they are pointless bags of flesh and the light of their soul is flickering and about to go out.

This situation will not easily improve - we reap what we sow - and as a society we have bred a race of useless fools who are driven by a bloated sense of individuality and a culture that promotes violence as a means to an end.

I feel sorry for your son and hope he recovers.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Ian, I'm so glad your son was able to get away from that mob. It is truely frightening to think what could have happened if he hadn't gotten away. I hope the police are able to get all of them!

We had a case here where a bunch of young boys about that age were beating up homeless people. One died. It's like they become a pack of dogs not thinking for themselves but acting as one.

Best wishes for your sons full recovery (and you as parents too!)

r.

• dmouse
    dmouse

A truly terrifying scenario. I'm glad he got away or it could have been worse.

I feel for you, as I have my own teenagers. I always worry about my son Ben, 19, who is the most fantastic son anyone could wish for. Genuine, honest, helpful, friendly and extremely talented. Yet, because he is gay, I know there are groups of teenagers out there on the streets who would kick him to death without a seconds thought because of that.

I am very afraid of what is coming. As I left the teaching profession only two years ago I know what the next generation is like. While some are like your and my son, many are becoming 'ferel', as someone rightly said a while back.

There is a whole generation of kids about to hit the streets who have absolutely no respect for anyone. They KNOW that they are untouchable. They have spent all their lives up till now kicking off to get what they want - and it has always worked. Don't want to do schoolwork? Rip it up in the teacher's face. Don't want to do the lesson at all? Throw a chair at the teacher. A child next to you looks at you funny? Stab him in the head with a sharp pencil. And what is the only 'punishment' that a teacher has in his armoury? Send them home. Great. Just what they want.

Be warned, the shootings and stabbings and anti-social behaviour are only just beginning.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Thanks, EVERYONE! I needed to share.

Thankfully, not all teenagers are brain-dead and violent.

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit