A bit reluctant

by saki2fifty 148 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

Glad you made it.
    We were beginning to think you were going to miss your appointment.
    Hmmm, we haven't seen a car like yours in here before.
    Mind you, it's got alot of features similiar to some of the other models but this one's custom, eh? Nice work. Must have cost you some.
    Well, let's see. We'll give it a little tune up; we assume that's why you're here in the first place.
    The seats are broken as you know. We'll get right on that; one should be comfortable while driving.
    The steering may need a little adjustment; seems to have been drifting awhile.
    The rear view mirror looks like it could use some adjustment. Can you see the things behind you clearly?
    The door locks seem to be sticking a bit; is it difficult to open the doors, especially when it's been cold? May need adjustment.
    It's got a few miles on it (not too many,..) so it's been "roadtested" a little, which is good. Works some of the initial glitches out, makes the components work better together.
    The engine sounds good. It's got some power and the drivetrain works fine; it brought you here, no?
    We have to put a new clutch in so the shifting may take a little getting used to, but it'll be better than before.
    Oh yea, the radio. Don't be afraid to crank it up and sing along. And of course, if you don't like the station you're on, just change the channel.
    How bout some tint for the windows? Make ya feel brand new,...
    Some detail work is in order. You know, it's the little things that make the difference.
    We'll get to work as soon as you give the word. It's up to you.
    You won't believe the difference
    We stand behind all the work we do,...

Welcome

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Can you honestly say that you have "learned the truth" about the non-truth of the 607bce issue when even both sides cannot prove their point?

The point is proven. There is no doubt at all by historians and other religions that 607 was not the fall of Jerusalem. The number of pages is that a JW will defend their beliefs to the bitter end regardless of what others consider proof. What it shows is the power of cognitive dissonance, a person can dismiss anything if they do not want to believe it. An interesting article on this is by Randy Waters at http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/cogdiss.htm Once I understood why I believed WTS teachings despite most people seeing it as totally ludicrous I was finally able to start looking at things objectively, and very quickly came to see that WTS are baseless.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty

Right, and thats why I'm here. But until I have proved it myself, have seen the actual facts for myself, I cannot accept it.

But I'm researching. I have my insight books next to me as I write this, bible, keyboard/internet, etc. The above comment that you quoted from me was based on a thread on this board... boths sides tried to prove their point, and it appeared as though your side had the last word. And I would assume that a lot of people on this board left due to this board alone "proving" the lies of the WTS... which one cannot take as proof.

I guess we'll see.

Respectfully,

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    And I would assume that a lot of people on this board left due to this board alone "proving" the lies of the WTS... which one cannot take as proof.

You assume wrong. Making assumptions is such a bad habit. Take our advice, do your research.

Josie

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Welcome saki2fifty

My kids love going, enjoy it tremendously and show pure love... a pure and true love of Jehovah himself

The beauty and innocence of childhood. That is truely unconditional and pure love. I also have three children. The love that they have taught me is nothing short of miraculous. Being a parent is a tremendous blessing. It's great to hear how much you and your children enjoy the time you spend together.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty
    You assume wrong. Making assumptions is such a bad habit. Take our advice, do your research.

Right, and advise well taken. I based the above on doing just a little research on this board, and 2 things were seen. One, the phrase "I think" is used quite extensively and next, a lot of "facts" were not backed up by anything more that comments on a thread... so thats how I concluded it. Of course, a lot were well documented and backed from what appeared to be ligitimate.

But yes, research is key... so agreed.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty
    My kids love going, enjoy it tremendously and show pure love... a pure and true love of Jehovah himself

The beauty and innocence of childhood. That is truely unconditional and pure love. I also have three children. The love that they have taught me is nothing short of miraculous. Being a parent is a tremendous blessing. It's great to hear how much you and your children enjoy the time you spend together.

My kids are everything, and I want a sure foundation for them. They are still kids, innocent, and only want whats best and of course, the right path.

I respect you...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Of course, a lot were well documented and backed from what appeared to be ligitimate" [sources]?

Which is something you almost NEVER see from the WT publication writers. One simply HAS to accept circular reasoning for WT reasoning to hold even slight appeal.

No one should ever accept circular reasoning. "The bible is true because the bible says it's true"? "The governing body are god's channel on earth, because they are annointed and say they are god's sole channel on earth"?

It can only appeal to the retarded or the brainwashed. I'm not sure which I used to be, lol.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty
    It can only appeal to the retarded or the brainwashed. I'm not sure which I used to be, lol

Ha!

No one should ever accept circular reasoning.

I dont know. The Watchtower and other publications are riddled with quotes from the bible (and other sources), of which they rely soley on their answers. Seems like after every sentence, there is a reference to the Bible. However some of the older publications dont reveal their sources quite as much.

The WTS being the faithful and discreet slave may sound ridiculous to some, but it fits together perfectly for me... and is scripturally supported.

I know, I know, I need to do my research.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I have one one thing I would encourage you to note as you research, saki2fifty. The insanely frequent use of brackets and ellipses where the Watchtower Society publications quote from secular sources. With regard to secular sources that use brackets they say:

*** w69 2/1 p. 89 Babylonian Chronology—How Reliable? *** The reader can appreciate how fragmentary the text is by ignoring the bracketed material in the following translation of one section of this memorial—material that represents modern attempts at restoring the missing, damaged or illegible portions.

This is an excellent mindset to adopy when considering what the Watchtower Society has to say on the subject of ANE chronology. Wherever brackets or ellipses appear, you may safely assume they hid or changed something destructive to their doctrine. You will find a thread here by Lady Liberty that details some of the occurrences of outright deception in the form of bracketing dates for events within quotes from a specific secular scholar named Grayson. Although technically correct English, it is in the least highly unethical behavior from an organization that encourages its adherents to avoid doing research outside of WTS reference resources.

I can't speak for everyone who read the Insight book's explanation of chronology, but I was effectively misled into believing Grayson supported the WTS viewpoint of ANE chronology. I hope you can tell I am not lacking in intellect, but I have been largely ignorant for much of my life. Odd thing about ignorance is, until you find out a thing you don't know that you don't know it. Being a sixth grade dropout with a GED (and regular auxiliary pioneer at the age of 13), what opportunity did I have to learn how to critically examine the teachings of the Watchtower Society?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/111407/1.ashx

In that thread, you can see the scans of Grayson's work for yourself and make your own determination whether what the WTS wrote in the Insight books was ethical, given the encouraged scholastic standards among JWs (i.e. avoiding higher education).

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit