A bit reluctant

by saki2fifty 148 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

May I add my rather belated good wishes and welcome to Saki..

The way I see it is this , as the Watchtower put it in July 1st 1995

. In the Bible, "truth" translates the Hebrew word "’emeth´," which signifies that which is firm, solid, and, perhaps most of all, reliable

So , the most loving congregation in the world would be of no use if its teaching was incorrect. If there was to be no Armageddon, no New World , no earthly resurrection , then the teachers are promoting dangerous falsehoods. We all deserve the truth from a loving God.

The gist of arguments from dubs to me has been, "so what?" if doctrines change, if hopes are not realised as predicted "We know it is the truth so we stick with it" . - But how do they know? just because they do know.. it is a circle of illogical reasoning.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

sorry to be blunt - but I just finished listening to the interview with Bill Bowen and Dogpatch and IMO anyone who believes that the Society is without deceit, lies, corruption, fear-mongering and pscyhological battering is only shaming himself. The organizations 'credible' witness to rape of a child (or anyone) means that all those not baptized as JW's are exempt from any sort of belief or justice...so to say it like it is - if that JW Elder of mine rapes my kid and I take it to the Elders it's tsk..tsk..tsk..slap on the wrist and pray more....so now he goes home and rapes my kid again and again and again...until he rapes the little 3 year old next door - but wait - they're witnesses and a 3 year old can talk much can they? ...tsk ..tsk..tsk..slap on the wrist again...but wait..now he's purportedly raped another kid who isn't even a witness - awww..who cares about that kid - she ain't even a Witness....tsk tsk tsk...anyone that supports an organization that cares so little about all the children in the world regardless of their affiliation with the society....puts their own morals and ethics in the same laundry basket. Sorry..you might think they are teaching your child better morals and values but be realistic - you haven't been in the real world, you obviously haven't done the research on the origins of the organization - condoned adultery, approved holidays, using the cross, drinking, smoking, fraud - thats what the society was based on and if they had the truth back then, ask yourself how the man who was Gods mouthpiece is ignored now and all of his teachings because the bible and God haven't changed - just the leadership of the publishing company called the Watchtower. Oh yes, and by the way - either join or leave..but make a stand - not excuses. My apologies if anyone thinks this is too harsh but my reading this story came right after listening to that interview and I'm a little incensed....sammieswife.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Saki,You seem open mined enough to listen,and research.That`s good.Also essentuall in everyday life,including here.You asked who Try`s as hard as the WBTS?You must remember there are 2 organizations.One:the WBTS,Two:the Jehovah`s Witness`s that do thier bidding...Did you know the WBTS joined the United Nation`s and didn`t quit till they were found out 10yrs later?That the WBTS owns stock in tobacco giant Phillip Morris?That WBTS owns 50% of Rand Cam Engine corp.a company that recieved a 500million dollar contract with the U.S.Navy?.That the WBTS policeys protect pediphiles?.The average Jehovah`s Witness knows little or none of this.They are told not to listen to anyone but the WBTS,by the WBTS..Very sad..The WatchTower Bible and Tract Society is rotten to the core..You say you still enjoy the company of Jehovah`s Witness`s..Good for you!I have a whole family of them,and I still enjoy seeing them(Well most of them,LOL!).Jehovah`s Witness`s are not the problem.The problem is they follow a corrupt organization,the WBTS..Enjoy your stay here,enjoy your family and friend`s...OUTLAW

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    before you engage in verbal swordplay on here. You see, ex-JW apostates know absolutely EVERYTHING you know plus way MORE. We can research and read anything we wish, whereas you...................can't. Scary, isn't it?

And thats exactly why I am now in the backseat... just listening. Scary? Heck ya. Just the way you said that gave me the chills... almost sounded a little dem.. <cough> onized <cough>. What? I didn't say anything.

Ahhhhh......then my work here is done................

• Warlock
    Warlock

Saki,

I'm with MrsJones. I like you because you didn't run off. Stick around.

Hummingbird,

First of all, I like you, too. Stick around. You seem to believe what you are saying, so keep trying to convince us.

Now, what I meant was, the people on this board are not ignorant about J.W.'s because most have been J.W.'s and some still are. In other words, coming here is not like going to someone's door and talking to someone who does not know the Bible. We know how the organization operates.

Some of us still love Jehovah and Jesus, but have been misled by the organization that claims to represent him. I was babtized in the early 80's and was told that the generation that was at the "age of awarness"(about 12 ears old) in 1914 would see Armaggedon. Then they changed it to "born in 1914". The Bible says a person of "special mightiness" might live to 70 or 80, so that would take us to 1994 at the latest. Then, they changed the whole meaning of "generation" in 1995.

You mean to tell me those who are in charge of feeding us "the food at the proper time", who say they are lead by holy spirit, didn't know the meaning of "generation" in that context............ FOR DECADES? The context of that scripture has not changed since it was written. I thought they searched the scriptures for us, the common publisher?

Then they don't even apologize for being so wrong, for so long. "Oh by the way, we changed the intro to the Awake, but it doesn't mean we changed our minds about Armageddon". THEN WHY CHANGE IT??!!!

We put off a lot of things in our lives, postponing our lives, trusting in the org. only to find out it ain't gonna happen that way."Well brother, you were just serving for a date". Yeah, but it was the date YOU told me, the one YOU gave me. I didn't pick it, YOU did!

Warlock

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Saki,

I quickly reviewed this thread again and I don't believe I saw mention of Crisis of Conscience, so forgive me if I am being redundant.

This book, written by Raymond Franz (ex-member of the Governing Body and nephew of Pres. Fred Franz) around 1981 (updated 2002), is like a fly-on-the-wall view of the inner workings of the WTS. Do yourself a life-changing favor: get the book, hole up somewhere for at least a whole day, and read it cover to cover. You will be amazed and virtually unable to stop reading, I promise. To say it is eye-opening is an understatement - it is eye-popping! I'm sure everyone on this board would agree that, if you only read one book of this type, this is THE one to choose.

I had the privilege of meeting with Ray Franz and his wife and several other ex-JWs at a small, intimate conference held in Alabama in the early 80s. He is exactly as he seems in the book - serious, intelligent, sincere, and humble.

The Bizzer

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Hummingbird,

Thank you for replying. When I was doing all my initial research we were still very active, I would still comment many times each meeting, but because of what I was finding out, had to be selective with what I answered. I wasn't going to answer from the paragraph something I knew not to be factual. I did that for months, I never realized how often 607, and 1914 was actually discussed. I never kept track before. Not that I was then, but because I always had answered before, I had to be selective with my answers, because of my conscience. As time went on, it became more and more dificult to answer at all, but like I said, I didn't want anyone to know, so I felt I had to keep up appearances. Less and less I answered, and because of the 607 issue, I could not engage in feild service. I was scared to death that this issue would come up. So.. I began slowly backing off of that as well. ( I want you to know though I continue to to Witness about things I am sure of that are in the Bible.)Now, I compare many different translations so that I am sure of what the writer intended.

Anyway, yes there were several other halls I could of attended. But the reason I eventually quite going at all was not because of the people. And they certainly are not the reason that I have not returned! NOTHING and I mean NOTHING would keep me away from the organization if I truely felt they had the truth. I don't want to offend or insult you by saying that , but because of my research, I do not believe Jehovah would approve of lies and deception.. The reason I quite going was because of exactly that. I was scarred to death to even tell the elders about our questions, because I had heard so many others were marked because of the same kind of questions I had. Refering me back to the literature was not going to be enough. I wanted proof and that would come from where they were getting their credentials. Unfortunately, their credentials are not based on facts..and therein lies the problem.

Because of my situation the only ones that knew of my questioning was my husband, and my sister and her husband. We all wanted answers to the 607 issue. So.. my sister who lives two states away went to her elders, they blew them off, and said, "If you are going to get all into the stuff by Russell, don't bother! " He kept telling them, what does it matter, what does it mattter?? From then on thier brothers began to tell others that were their close friends that they were "apostate"! All of this was going on as they were still active. The friends got more and more distant and cold. It wasn't long and they quit for the same reasons as us, but the friends couldn't see them leave fast enough, as they were obviously being filled with thoughts of "apostates" in their midst. Anyway, the reason why Russells teachings mattered, is because it was by this man and the early Bible Students that today, the governing body has their power and control over everyones live that they do. By examining their credentials, one finds that they are based off of things that are untrue.

Example: Say the King had a important message for the people. He entrusted his most reliable and trustworthy slave to run and relay the message. A faithful slave would not add anything to the message. He would relay the message exactly as the King had given him. If the people qustioned his credentials, he would invite them to examine them. He would not get offended by their questiong. And he certainly would not say, "What? Why do you want to check my credentials? You don't believe me?!? Well then you are not loyal to the King"!

Unfortunately, when you have questions for the elders that question the credentials of the governing body the are put on high alert. They don't just let you fade away. They don't want ones questioning their credentails. We are still VERY much in the spot light. My husband thought he could trust his mom and tell her of our findings. She began inquiring every time we spoke she asked more and more. Unbeknownst to us, she began telling others in her circle of friends our findings. However, she spoke of it as if we were delving into "apostate" literature. When we found this out we were heart broken as well as furious. Her and her husband had told us they would never tell anyone. They encouraged us to go to the brothers. But because of my sisters and others experience, I knew now that this was circulating there would be no fading for us.

Well, the brothers finally showed some interest because of all the slander and gossip. They came and we were still afraid to discuss our questions. My husband decided to approach the whole thing from the point that we had been gone for months, not quite a year, and we could count on one hand those that had shown concern. NONE of the acting elders had onced called or come by. Only one very elderly non acting elder did. He knew we were questioning 607 because my mother-in-law called him. She told us that he agreed there was no support for that date but said , "What does it matter?" They asked others, their friends, ones that had been elders in the past, and for what ever reason were not serving at that time. They ALL said the same thing! This blew us away! All these elders knew there was problems with the date, and yet they were pushing it under the carpet!!

The elders that came to our home prayed with us, were very sorry we had been so neglected, (my husband really made them feel bad, but he did it in a kind manner). The one elder was so sad he neglected us that he could hardly get through the prayer. They hugged us before they left and that was that. We felt good about their visit, and felt they were sinecere. Yet, we still had our questions. They encouraged us to return etc. I did not know it at the time but they knew of our questions with 607. But they never brought it up.

Then a couple of weeks later I find out through a friend, that she had been at one of the elders home for dinner with a group, and our name came up. The elders wife said, "Well they told the elders never to return!" My friend knew the story, and said, "thats not true!" The elders wife said, "Oh yes it is!" All of this in front of a whole group of our old friends from our hall. When she relayed this to us, I was crushed. This sister had been one of my favorite pioneer friends. Why would she make up such lies! And WHY would her husband allow her to make such accusations!!??

So.. when the elders called and wanted to meet again, because the gossip was getting more intense, ( people were calling from out of state to get the gossip, you can only imagine how twisted everything got!) we told them we would meet, but not with them. We told them that we had lost all trust in them to keep our meeting confidential, because of the wifes knowledge of their visit with us. I am sure her husband openly discussed everything with her. I have NOTHING to hide, but it wasn't anyones business! So.. they sent two others. One was the P.O. this time they openly asked about the gossip regarding our 607 questions. They were here for two hours. We taped the whole thing. And in that discussion, the one elder told us their was no proof for 607! I was blown AWAY! Of course I had already concluded that long before then, but to have a elder tell us that, the way he did, was more than disturbing. We told them about our findings and our "story" as to even why we began questioning this date to begin with. ( you can read this as I posted my story in my first topic I ever posted here, I encourage you to read it, as it will give you a more rounded picture of what happened.) We gave the elders the kings lists with confirmation of each king and the lenghth of their reigns, verified by different places in the literature, as well as the scriptures used. Then, we showed them how putting all that data from the Society in order according to the reins and the dates of their reigns, it contradicted the appendix to the Kingdom Come book. ( The only place the Society openly addresses this date discrepancy). They were speechless. They had no answers and promised to do the research and return. Well that has been 7 months ago.

They have recently called and asked to return, but had their assembly etc, and would call after it to make set up a time to meet again. Well, that was weeks ago now, and here we still wait! Now, my dear friend who is still active tells me that the rumors have only gotten worse and people are saying we are printing our own literature, and have started our own church!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! My aunt ( who was a regular pioneer and whos husband is currently a elder) called me from back east and for 4 hours, I endured her hollaring insults, her name calling and her guilt! I was as sincere to her, as I possibly could be in trying to tell her our findings. She over and over continued to call me "apostate" and I was a "strangers voice". She was hollaring so loudly that when my husband got on the phone to end our conversation for us he had to raise his voice and hollar her name to get her to calm down. She was in a friendzied state of mind. She has since cut off me and has sent us the most hurtful letter. Telling me once a year contact with my grandmother (her mother who she caretakes) would be suffiecient. She called my sister and did the same thing, then finally her brother, my father. She "poisened the well" against us all to my elderly grandmother. She had my grandmother sign a note at the bottom of the letter saying she agreed with my aunts letter. I am devistated! I dearly love my grandmother, and cannot believe my aunt would be so selfish and unloving to not only say the things she did in that letter, but to tell my elderly grandmother, who could have a heart attack at any moment because of of the stress she is now under. How is that loving??My aunt told me I was a terrible grandaughter, and that I have broken my grandmother heart. UNBELIEVABLE!

Anyway.. that is my story, and maybe now you can see how unloving and unchristian it is that I am now labeled an apostate! My sister, her husband, their close friends who also asked their elders for explanation are all labeled apostate too. Now how is that Christian? To me because of my sincere questions, I am labeled as worse than a murder in all eyes of any JWs that were my friends. I am being shunned. My neighbors are witnesses from my in-laws hall, and they have told their kids they cannot come over any longer. They see us and look away!

I have no desire to return to such abuse! My daughter is 12, and has a very deep love for Jehovah and his righteous principles. She has seen my sorrow, and pain we have endured, and understands fully what is going on. She has been my shining light. And I married the most wonderful man, who didn't abandon me, but openly tried to help me. I thank Jehovah to have him, and that he was not too proud or too scared to check into our faith.

I know Jehovah loves us, I feel he has helped us remain strong through all of this. I will NEVER abandon him or his son! Like I have shown you, this was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to stand up for. I certainly did not take the easy course by leaving. My husband has lost his only brother, as well as his parents and his only living grandparent, his grandmother. I have lost my brother, as well as my aunt and both of my living grandmothers. I have lost many cousins as well. All of this not even mentioning all of our friends.

In the begining I told myself, so what? This is the best way to tlive. I didn't want to believe what I was finding to be true. However, my conscience would not let it go. I had to get to the bottom of all of it.. so I decided to revisit my original question. Praying I would find a logical explanation. Well, I found it but it was not what I wanted nor expected. I guess we just didn't have it in us to sweep it under the carpet.

I think you are a good person who I appreciate wanting to help me. But, until you see for yourself there is no proof for 607 other than in the Societys literature, it will be hard for you to do that. Over and over, I have checked their sources they quote from to support the date 607. I am continually shocked to find these source say the exact opposite of what the society says they say. For proof, I can show you what I mean. I have posted some of my findings here under. That is why I make the comment they are being untruthful and deceptive.

I know you haven't had a pleasant experience here, and I am sorry if you were offended by some of the posters. But please try to understand, I am only one, whose story you have heard. MANY have been through far worse. And yes, they are bitter. But not without good reason. What happened to us is far too familiar a story with the ones here. So.. with that being said, thank you for your kindness, and please try to be patient with the ones here. Most really do mean well.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings again Saki,

Also to add to your research. Look up information about Barbara Anderson. She was one of the LITERAL researchers for the Proclaimers Book. She told her story here @ JWD and her posts here @ JWD are stunning & amazing. That's Barabara & Joe Anderson. Goggle it if you will. You'll be amazed.

Also I see that AlanF posted to this thread. Read some of his posts, he's incredible too, you'll flip. You'll know beyond any shadow of a doubt, that they were real players, and that this is not just a place of angry, hand wringing hostile apostates.

Happy researching!

Dismembered

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    I was babtized in the early 80's and was told that the generation that was at the "age of awarness"(about 12 ears old) in 1914 would see Armaggedon. Then they changed it to "born in 1914". The Bible says a person of "special mightiness" might live to 70 or 80, so that would take us to 1994 at the latest. Then, they changed the whole meaning of "generation" in 1995.

Yup, thats the truth. I remember all that. I remember studying the Watchtowers every time there was a change of doctrine. I remember dutifully underlining it all and trying to make it all fit in my mind.

I remember thinking how each change was very little, and didnt make much difference. But then one day looking back and thinking HEY all those little changes have added up to ONE BIG CHANGE and nobody seems to have noticed.

Well, then I found this site and realised lots of people had noticed.

PLUS - YAY Saki is staying!!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

This guy is a player like a Scoobysnax. lol, shake the dust off your feet and move on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit