Great news. The WTS did not commit spiritual prostitution with UN.

by thirdwitness 597 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

This was a year ago but Mr. Hoeffel did not respond to my questions. I received several responses telling me to contact different peoples or offices for more information. I received no new information from any of the sources, which were several, that I contacted.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree with you on this one ThirdWitness. What you say makes perfect sense to me. That does not mean that Jehovah's Witnesses have the truth however, it just means that some apostates are a bit overzealous in trying to prove the absolute worst about the Watchtower organization in every aspect.

I am more concerned about the Witnesses' false representation of their own history: what they expected to happen in 1914; how they believed Jehovah lived in the Pliedes; how they believed aluminium caused practially every health problem; how they once supported the evolution theory for animal life; how they downplay 1925 and sanitize Beth Sarim; have the audacity to blame ordinary Witness for the 1975 frenzy and on and on and on.

Even more worrying, I find, is the way every single study book starts with the assertion "there is nothing wrong with examining your religion", and thereafter the Society forbids baptised Witnesses from reading literature critical of the Watchtower Society that would allow them to examine the Witness religion. Witnesses are not allowed to talk about doubts for fear of being marked out or expelled. Even the Witnesses' own thoughts, if the Watchtower is to be carried out to the letter, have to be censored! No religion confident of having "the truth" would need to behave like this.

These are some of the things that show the Witnesses do not have the truth. The UN issue does not cut any ice with me. I see how it could have been a genuine mistake, and don't think it is a big deal anyway. But the very transparent misrepresentation of their own history, comblined with their command to followers not to even consider opposing viewpoints is what convinces me this is not "the truth".

Slim

• cabasilas
    cabasilas
    This was a year ago but Mr. Hoeffel did not respond to my questions. I received several responses telling me to contact different peoples or offices for more information. I received no new information from any of the sources, which were several, that I contacted.

So, you're publically accusing him of being misleading and trying to cover up "mistakes" and you had no input from Mr Hoeffel? Just because he did not reply to you does not mean there are no answers. He may have his reasons for ignoring questions on this subject from you. Have you considered the possiblity that you may be bearing false witness against Mr Hoeffel?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Thirdwitness wrote:

They never signed any document saying they would agree to support the UN or even share the ideals of the UN charter.

On the other hand, Paul Hoeffel wrote:

11 October 2001

To Whom It May Concern:

Recently the NGO Section had been receiving numerous inquiries regarding the association of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York with the Department of Public Information (DPI). This organization applied for association with DPI in 1991 and was granted association in 1992. By accepting association with DPI, the organisation agreed to meet criteria for association, icluding support and respect of the principles or charter of the United Nations and commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes with its constituents and to a broader audience about UN activities.

In October 2001, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York requested termination of its association with DPI. Following this request, the DPI has made decisions to disassociate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York as of 9 October 2001.

We appreciate your interest in the work of the United Nations.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Hoeffel

Chief NGO Section

Department of Public Information
    Seems to suggest they had to agree to support the UN in some way to get their library card.
  • cabasilas
    cabasilas

Well, some JW apologists like Thirdwitness believe Mr Hoeffel and others at the UN are hiding the truth and misleading the public. And these JW apologists accuse us as being conspiracy theorists!

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

thirdwitnoid, they associated with the UN. What's your problem?
    steve

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

thirdwitnoid: And for those who are trying to say that the UN is not a government so we do not have to be in subjection to them

Blah,Blah,Blah.

http://www.un.org/geninfo/faq/faq/faq.html

Q: I heard that the UN issues international passports, visas and driver's licenses. How can I apply?

A: No!! Neither the UN nor any of its specialized agencies or international organizations issues or authorizes the issuance of international driver's licenses, passports or travel documents for the public. The issuance of such official documents is exclusively a function of national authorities. The UN is not a government and thus cannot issue any of the aforementioned documents.

Now your embarrassing yourself!
    steve

• cabasilas
    cabasilas
    It is quite simple. Apostates however want to villanize the WTS and exaggerate what really happened because it makes them feel better for leaving Jehovah and his people. It is just an excuse for doing what a person wants to do and thereby not having to answer to anyone or live a life in accord with the Bible and its principles. No more door to door work. No more meetings. Free to engage in whatever conduct a person desires.

No allowance for genuine convinction? Do you really think all those who oppose JWs are cut from the same cloth and share the same views? And that we aren't serious about our personal journeys and are only looking for an excuse "for leaving Jehovah and his people"? So, your position is that "apostates" cannot be sincere?

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Wow, talk about hair splitting. The UN is made up of governments that we are to be in subjection to. That being the case are we to be in subjection to the UN and its officials who are made up and come from other governments? Of course. The UN's authority comes from the other governments. If the UN troops are sent into your country will you be in subjection to them or feel that its ok to disobey whatever rules they make? The UN is no different from all other singular governments except that it is comprised of many sovereign states. Should the UN, in accordance with the governments that comprise it, adopt certain laws in our country where we live we should obey those laws or regulations.

The UN System
    The basic structure of the United Nations is outlined in an organizational chart. What the structure does not show is that decision-making within the UN system is not as easy as in many other organizations. The UN is not an independent, homogeneous organization; it is made up of sovereign states, so actions by the UN depend on the will of Member States, to accept, fund or carry them out. Especially in matters of peace-keeping and international politics, it requires a complex, often slow, process of consensus-building that must take into account national sovereignty as well as global needs.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

So what.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit