OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD! "here we go, here we go, here we go"!

by nicolaou 209 Replies latest social entertainment

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So then, if we top the group we face Ecuador, lose tonight and it's Germany on Saturday.

Sven has named his team to face Sweden in 20 minutes. Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen will start up front together for England as expected.

Steven Gerrard, who is one booking away from a ban, is taken out of the team with Owen Hargreaves replacing him. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is out with Marcus Allback taking the star striker's place for Sweden.

Sweden: Isaksson, Mellberg, Lucic, Edman, Linderoth, Alexandersson, Ljungberg, Larsson, Kallstrom, Jonson, Allback.

England: Robinson, A Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Beckham, Lampard, Rooney, Owen, J Cole, Carragher, Hargreaves.

Predictions anyone?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Maybe it's time that 38 year jinx was broken!

If not, a draw will do

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Flippin' 'eck!!! Owen's gone off injured already

• south african beef
    south african beef

Shame we didn't get the win - i was just shouting out that England had beaten Sweden at last and had won all three group matches when they went and equalised!

Still doesn't matter - we won the group and face Ecuador in the next round.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Last minute equalisers are so sickening!

At least they didn't lose.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I only saw the last 20 minutes of this one. Very action packed. Bravo, for both sides.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

About winning without cheating....

TIJKMO says the "argies" have never won without cheating, however I remember a ball landing on the line back in 1966 and never actually entering the net and before there was a rule about lines, the goal was granted to England and they won their first and ONLY cup trophy based on a controversial decision!

If you want to mention the controversial "hand of god goal", fine, be my guest, all I say is watch the first 11 minutes of that game back in 1986 and see how many times english players kicked, fouled, shoved and pushed Maradona because they simply could not keep up with him or mark him with fair play. You can stream that classic game from FIFA's web site and I have watched it over a dozen times and as recently as about three days ago again, and remember the second goal scored was not controversial and was voted the greatest ever and he was still clipped from behind by an english defender and never complained.

On page 11 of the offical guide from FIFA for this world cup Maradona is recognized as the greatest ever and in the accompanying article it does make mention of the fact that although his life off the field was less than clean, he was one of the cleanest and fairest players who never scuffled or fought or made trouble.

The fact is the british have always played "long ball" because they can't dribble and have never had a player with actual style and flair until Rooney and Owen. Now, for the first time in the Old Maid's history, they really do have a team worth competing with against any south american or southern european team with Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, the Coles, Owen and yes, even Beckham. This is the best english side in my opinion even if they don't win, I consider them much more talented and skilled than the 1966 team which had to rely on a referee's decision. This team can and will score and won't need a decision to determine any outcomes.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Has anyone noticed how many players game after game are slipping and falling on the pitch? Last night Michael Owen slipped on his own and possibly injured his knee and I believe there is something wrong with the pitch. Maybe there is too much moisture or the turf is too synthetic? Is it me or has anyone noticed the amount of accidental personal falls in this tournament?

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

2-1 Portugal. Come on Portugal!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

C'mon Mexico - pull it out... you can do it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit