OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD! "here we go, here we go, here we go"!

by nicolaou 209 Replies latest social entertainment

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Less than 2 hours before it all starts and a quarter of the Earth's population will be watching! - C'mon you Americans, get on board.
    Germany kick-off against Costa Rica at 5pm to be followed by Poland v Ecuador at 8pm (BST)
    The duel
    Two experienced players with a small point to prove. Jens Lehmann, the German goalkeeper, wants to show that Jurgen Klinsmann has made the right decision. And what better place to do it than on the stomping ground of his great rival, Oliver Kahn? Up against him will be 29-year-old Paulo Wanchope, Costa Rica’s biggest star, out to inspire his team-mates by adding to his impressive tally of 43 goals in 67 international matches.
    Do the Costa Ricans have a chance? How badly do you want to see the Germans crash and burn?

I love the World Cup! C'mon England - don't break my heart again.
  • brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

C'mon Sweden!!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I quite fancy Costa Rica for a draw against Germany.

Sometimes the stronger opponent underestimates the weaker while at the same time the weaker one will raise their game for the prestige of taking a valuable 'scalp'

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

U SA ! USA!

• juni
    juni

Just an interesting side thought -

I saw on the news that there are 2 Americans and 2 Brits who are going to ROW across the Atlantic. Is that crazy?

Juni

• luna2
    luna2

If you keep us updated, Nic, I'll make sure to read the thread. Might try to check out the coverage online too. I don't know who to root for....I mean, yeah, I'd like the USA to do well, but expectations are not high. LOL

The only other year I paid any attention was when France won. Didn't Ricky Martin sing in front of some humongous crowd in Paris or someplace?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I am in America and do not honestly even know what the World Cup is. I played soccer in gym class as a teen and I never watched a single professional game. I watched a local game once, but got bored and went home early. Sorry, soccer (football) is not real big in the states. Maybe they could do something to make it more exciting.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

4-2 to Germany but the Costa Ricans sure gave them a run for their money.

I don't have a tv so I listened on the radio. Callers seemed to be commenting a lot about the ball going all over the place and saying it was like a beachball. Anyone here who watched have any thoughts?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Emo, I watched the game and it was really exciting. The ball is lighter than normal and, as a consequence, dips and swerves when hit hard (great news for Lampard and Gerrard ). Can't stay here for long, Equador v Poland are being televised at 7.30 p.m. (or should I say the programme starts then!). C'MON ENGLAND, Ian

• luna2
    luna2

f2b, my son played from the age of about 4 through highschool and beyond (until he tore his ACL). I enjoyed watching his games very much. When he lived at home (and we had more than just basic cable) we'd watch international games. I didn't have too much trouble getting into it....but once he moved out, I stopped watching. But then I don't watch any sports much these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit