OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD! "here we go, here we go, here we go"!

by nicolaou 209 Replies latest social entertainment

• willy_think
    willy_think

I watched soccer a couple times on satellite. there seemed to be a lot of skin heads and such in the stands but I didn’t see any of that in the world cup. My question is was that race stuff unusual or is there some reason it’s not part of the world cup, Like not letting them in or ticket prices that keep them out?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

source

Materazzi denies calling Zidane "terrorist"

10/07/2006: Italian defender Marco Materazzi has denied a report that he had called Zinedine Zidane a "dirty terrorist" seconds before the French captain head-butted him in Sunday's World Cup final.

"It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist. I'm ignorant. I don't even know what the word means," the Italian news agency Ansa quoted Materazzi as saying after the Italian team returned to Rome on Monday evening. "The whole world saw what happened on live TV," he added.

The Paris-based anti-racism group SOS Racism had earlier quoted well informed sources as saying Materazzi had apparently used the phrase.

"According to several very well informed sources from the world of football, it would seem that the Italian player Marco Materazzi called Zinedine Zidane a 'dirty terrorist'," SOS Racism said in a statement.

Zidane, the son of Algerian immigrants, was shown a red card after the incident and Italy went on to win on penalties after the match was tied 1-1 following extra time.

SOS Racism called for an inquiry and said world soccer's governing body FIFA had recently toughened sanctions against racism.

"It's for this reason that SOS Racism asks in a determined fashion for FIFA to shed light on this altercation and that sanctions laid out in the official rules be applied should this be the case," SOS Racism said.

French television reported that Zidane would talk about the incident "in the coming days".

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Personally (and this might not mean much) even though I'm an Italian fan, I'd believe Zidane. He obviously lost it to something offensive. Materrazi is as crude and rough as they get. If Zidane kept his cool, his superior skill would have thrown it back in Materazzi's face.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    If Zidane kept his cool, his superior skill would have thrown it back in Materazzi's face.

This is the point, entirely. After a brilliant international career, what is Zidane going to known for? A head-butt!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i think he may have done it deliberately..zidane that is

it was his last game..not just international but domestic too...its the world cup final..the dying minutes...the biggest television audience..and even if he scores a penalty in the shootout he cant take them all...so...what does he do

make a statement

he cant be sanctioned..banned...fining is irrelevent

and he has probably gone his whole career having racist taunts hurled at him and only twice has he reacted...but now it will be investigated..he has made sure of that..it cant be swept under the rug..many of the world cup games started with the reading of the soccer against racism speech...zidane has ensured it will not end as that...

good for him...

• amac
    amac

What a disappointing cup....Italy plays mediocre through the whole thing, only to sit on a poorly played final and win due to the luck of PK's! Hoorah for Zidane....played tremendous! and got to leave with a POW!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Personally (and this might not mean much) even though I'm an Italian fan, I'd believe Zidane. He obviously lost it to something offensive. Materrazi is as crude and rough as they get

If I was a fan of Italy, I wouldn't be able to help but feel that the victory was a little bit hollow. Here you have an altercation between the guy who has unquestionably been the star of the tournament, playing with poise and grace throughout, and a thuggish defender whose reputation preceeds him, with the altercation resulting in a red card that possibly gave your team the victory. And what has all the post-tournament press been about? A glorious, well-earned victory by your team? No, instead everybody is dying to know what Materrazi did or said to Zidane.

BTW, ESPN was saying today that Materrazi may have given Zidane a "titty-twister" (my words :)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

OK, this is the second soccer-related thread I've killed recently.

Somebody post something!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Something.........

I kinda wish those guys would wear their shorts just a tad bit shorter and tighter........

purps

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Hmmm

seems we will find out soon what Materazzi said.The favourite seems to be that he called Zidane "son of a terrorist whore".For the Son of Algerian immigrants..that may have been too much to bear..and his Mother is apparently in hospital too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit