OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD! "here we go, here we go, here we go"!

by nicolaou 209 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Socceroos - you were robbed against Brazil.

Hope you play that well against Croatia.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    please, France, it's time to be not as stupid as 2002 ...

o dear

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Socceroos - you were robbed against Brazil.

Hope you play that well against Croatia.

This game is another case to prove my point that FIFA does not want upsets, period.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Some of my thoughts!

I have been playing futbol since I was a child before coming to the US and with famly in Italy and Argentina, futbol has been a staple like wine and seafood. Now, about conspiracies during tournaments, I only know of one that was documented, and that was the meeting Mr. Blatter of the FIFA Governing Body conducted with referees during the beginning of the last world cup in Korea / Japan during 2002. The meeting was even documented on FIFA's Official site. If I can find it again, I will post it.

Anyway, the referees were told that it was important to the future of FIFA, futbol and asian participation thus they were to cooperate with FIFA's intention of ensuring the host countries do well during the tournament and assist them as much as possible. If you remember the results from the last cup, then you will remember how an unskilled inexperienced team from South Korea wound up defeating Portugal, Spain and Italy depsite all three opponents scoring more goals in each game. Almost any goal scored against South Korea was ruled offside.

I watched Rui Costa and Conciencao from Portugal score two goals ruled offside and Portugal lost 2-1. I watched Morientes and Raul score two goals ruled offside and Spain lost 1-0. AND, I watched the travesty between Italy and South Korea where two more goals were ruled offside and South Korea won 2-1. So, it DOES and CAN happen. One of the referees in question "Byron Morales" from Ecudaro had in fact been suspended for corruption before and yet was selected by FIFA to oversee certain matches.

So, I mention this because what happened during the game between the US and Italy should not have happened, yes the US tackling was unusually hard and uncoordinated, thus accidental and unintentional fouls did occur, but that is also the referees's fault for not establishing control. I would have called over both team captains and warned them that if players did not immediately calm down yellow and red cards would start flying out.

It is also FIFA's fault for not having established an important rule many years ago. Simply put, players should be ejected if they do not keep their hands to themselves and away from opponents. It shoud be a rule that even touching another player's jersey, pulling a jersey, pulling shorts, pulling on limbs, blocking vision or any contact with another player should result in a yellow card. If it were so, imaging how many injuries would be avoided! Imagine how many great plays are often spoiled because of a cheap foul or dirty trick? It is supposed to be a beautiful game and instead some of the most beautiful and creative plays are interrupted by a whistle because some spiteful player who can't keep up with an opponent decides to trip, pull, tug, interfere or foul in some way. Eject them all is what I say. Force good sportsmanship upon them and let it take hold worldwide.

I am tired of cheaters, no matter who they play for and De Rossi should not play for a year in any league. Last worldcup I said Christiano Pannucci of Italy should have been banned for a year. All dirty players shoudl either improve their skills, stamina or play fair or get out of the game.

Now, the other thing FIFA should do is allow a tema of judges to review all controversial plays, not just fouls and if necessary override a bad decision by a referee. I have seen missed handballs, penalty calls and other such monumental mistakes already in the first round. They cannot afford to rely on human eyesight.

Well, I hope things improve, but as far as the US goes, they tried to make up for skill and experience through aggressive pressure and intimidation. It is in poor taste. FIFA needs to lock down on rough play, diving and utilize replay cameras. For me, as long as the US, England, Germany, France and South Korea do NOT win the cup, any other team can win and I will be happy!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    It is also FIFA's fault for not having established an important rule many years ago. Simply put, players should be ejected if they do not keep their hands to themselves and away from opponents. It shoud be a rule that even touching another player's jersey, pulling a jersey, pulling shorts, pulling on limbs, blocking vision or any contact with another player should result in a yellow card. If it were so, imaging how many injuries would be avoided! Imagine how many great plays are often spoiled because of a cheap foul or dirty trick? It is supposed to be a beautiful game and instead some of the most beautiful and creative plays are interrupted by a whistle because some spiteful player who can't keep up with an opponent decides to trip, pull, tug, interfere or foul in some way. Eject them all is what I say. Force good sportsmanship upon them and let it take hold worldwide.

hear here

oh and another conspiracy...argentina needing to beat peru by 4 goals in 78 and beating them by 6 cos the governments did a trade deal prior to the game..in fact i dont think the argies have ever won the thing without cheating..

which is a shame cos right now they are the best team there

except england of course..who never cheat,dive,foul,etc etc

• G Money
    G Money

US is a sorry team. Spain has been playing well including today´s last minute feats. Mexico played crappy the other day. Wednesday they can redeem themselves. Italy wasn´t at their best against the US. Seems like some teams are just playing poorly. Is it the water in Germany or what???

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

well wad do you think?

Peter Crouch's goal against Trinidad and Tobago was the centre of controversy on Thursday night when television replays showed he pulled Brent Sancho's dreadlocks as he won the header.

For 82 minutes, Trinidad and Tobago held the 1966 World Cup winners to a goalless draw — until Crouch appeared to “piggy back” defender Brent Sancho to head home a David Beckham’s right side cross. The goal gave England a 1-0 lead. Video and photographic evidence appear to indicate that Crouch pulled Sancho down by his dreadlocks while climbing for the ball. A writer in the Miami Herald said that Crouch used Sancho as a stepladder.

Go Soca Warriors!!

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I'm pissed. They're no longer showing the games live so I get updates about how the games end before I actually see it!

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

At first glance it looked like a fair header from the 6ft 7ins Liverpool striker. But slow-motion replays clearly showed Crouch grab a handful of Sancho's hair and leap above him.

It stopped the Trinidad and Tobago defender from jumping to challenge for the ball.

that's no fair!!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yay!! Germany won today!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit