OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD! "here we go, here we go, here we go"!

by nicolaou 209 Replies latest social entertainment

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

A terrific opener! Now Poland/Ecuador . . .beer.

lurve y'all

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Sorry, soccer (football) is not real big in the states. Maybe they could do something to make it more exciting.

Shakes head sorrowwfully

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Enjoy the game beer nic.

Think Poland should win this one fairly easily.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    The ball is lighter than normal and, as a consequence, dips and swerves when hit hard (great news for Lampard and Gerrard ).

I sure hope this is the type of ball we've been using in the warm-ups and training though, or we might take too long to get used to it!

Sounds like it could make the competition much more interesting...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Go Ecuador!!

A simple long throw-in and a decent header gives them a 1-0 lead over Poland. Cool!

More beer

• M.J.
    M.J.

Ok here are a series of dumb and extremely ignorant Americano questions.

Is it a playoff that only some teams who qualified get to compete in? Single elimination? Best of 3/5/7 series? How is it determined who gets there?

Is there a "regular season" which precedes it during which national teams compete against each other?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I sure hope this is the type of ball we've been using in the warm-ups and training though, or we might take too long to get used to it!

Robinson got his hands on a load of them and mixed them up with the 'stock' balls in training. He thought ahead and has practised stopping this new, slicker ball. He say's it's more slippery when wet than other balls he's handled!!

• mariposa
    mariposa

I've got it on...been flipping between the english and spanish stations. My husband loves soccer but poor Guatemala didn't make it...this was the closest they ever got to go this year. We even went to the qualifying match between them and the USA. It was really really cool! Never been to a soccer game before...the fans are fanatics...I loved it. It was like 90% Guatemala and 10% Americans there, sad considering we're here in the US.

So we're basically just rooting to make sure Mexico LOSES! hahahaha

Nah, it's cool cause I auctually know the rules now. I'm going to watch all the games I can and see some awesome looking goal shots. oooh - looks loke ecuador got a goal...didn't see that one. Gotta call the hubs, been calling him after every goal to let him know what's up.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

M.J.

I'll try to explain it! I think about a couple of years before the finals, they have a league on each continent and depending on the number of countries in each league, the top ones qualify for the finals. Europe is split into more than one league though as there are a lot of teams here.

Robinson got his hands on a load of them and mixed them up with the 'stock' balls in training. He thought ahead and has practised stopping this new, slicker ball. He say's it's more slippery when wet than other balls he's handled!!
    Phew! Good move - we should do ok then - hope most of the other teams didn't practise with the new balls!
  • lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Woo hoo! Germany won!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit