Jehovah's Witnesses asking woman to pay legal costs in sexual abuse lawsuit

by ignored_one 124 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

sKally:

I understand that frustration with red tape, trust me. And you're not the only person asking these questions. Unfortunately, I'm not a legal guy, so I can't give good answers as to why Vicki's lawyer chose the strategy he did. There was good stuff given to him that was not used.

But now the trial is over, and verdict has been given. The question being resolved now is costs, and again, the written submissions have been made. The Judge must make her decision on what she has been given in the case, not on material submitted to her outside of the case. That's just the way it is. Personally, I'm more hopeful of getting a good result on the costs than I was with the original case.

And let's not lose sight of the huge significance of this case that Vicki has already achieved. This is precedental (is that a word?) stuff.

Expatbrit

• Gerard
    Gerard

Those WT lawyers a the &%$#@* scum of the Earth!

Even after losing!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    Those WT lawyers a the &%$#@* scum of the Earth!

Even after losing!

Now that is bang on! Hell, I could write a biography of David Gnam just by following the slime trail. Expatbrit

• sf
  • sf
    sf

Some history here:

The Confusion of Cults - Chapter 1
    ... (4) ...Rutherford and his younger aid, ...Hayden Covington, rendered the cause of
    religious freedom a major service by winning 46 cases in the US Supreme Court ...
    www.berean-houston.org/Library/Confusion_Cults/ Confusion_Ch1.htm - 43k - Cached - Similar pages

JF Rutherford's Armageddon
    ... neutrality amidst a World War. Listen to the Society's lawyer Hayden
    Covington about one such story. Covington also tells about ...
    www.exjws.net/museum/rutherford.htm - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

CNN/SI - SI at the Garden
    ... His lawyer, Hayden Covington, originally believed that the course of appeals would
    take at least a year, but his appeal on the grounds that Ali is a Muslim ...
    www.cnnsi.com/features/1998/holyfield/ garden/3ali_folley.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

American University Library - Media Services: Video Encyclopedia
    ... According to his lawyer, Hayden Covington, Ali's chances of neither
    serving in the army nor spending time in jail were good. On ...
    www.library.american.edu/about/ media/video_encyclopedia.html - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

Faith on the March - Covington
    ... Hayden C. Covington (left), general counsel for Jehovah's Witnesses, reminisces
    with the author about legal battles won in favor of freedom of worship. ...
    www.e-cepher.com/books/fotm/hcc.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Long Beach Press Telegram
    ... and '40s. After the arrest of several of its members, the denomination
    hired Hayden Covington as their lead attorney. Covington won ...
    stirinc.org/lbpress.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

more here: http://www.google.com/search?q=Hayden+Covington&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

sKally

• impartial
    impartial

Hello. Let me try to submit as I have failed in some important occasions..

• impartial
    impartial

My SUGESTIONS ( Continued from high above anyway...??) 4) Some capable wise men go to /write to Vicki's lawyer with her/her signature asking what options she have exactly in accord with correct rules of the court/s. As I have been worried, if time limitation to appeal is 30 calender days, it is almost expired... If the lawyer did not inform her about it, it would be a problem...( I regret to say I am not available physically. SORRY.)

• impartial
    impartial

( Continued..) I do not mind if my points are informed to any lawyer. Rather I hope it.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Those scum bag lawyers are working for the scum bags up in crooklyn. The only reason they are doing this is so that in the future victims will think twice before taking on the mighty tower of crooklyn. I hope the judge sees through this and awards quite the opposite. I hope the watchtower will have to pay Vicki's legal fees!

• needs_lots
    needs_lots

This is vickis husband;

The flock book was used in the trial but the WT had a different print edition and the paragraphs were not on the same page so the WT lawyer got it dismissed from the judges consideration. So it was really the watchtower legal dept that did some fancy footwork to get the flock argument excluded. Hawkaw is right in that we have to let the judge make her decision about cost on the issues. As tough as it has been vicki is tired, so very tired now and does know what else to do other than survive this with her family intact.

As far as legal precidence dont forget that the judge noted the extraordinary amount of influence elders have in someones life.

If you want to help vicki then get us some canadian legal precidence for admitting evidence through proper channels.

And if the JW's get costs from us then it will be at a huge PR cost to them. Let their true colours come out in the press.

If you want SF then release your plan in the court of public opinion and not at the judges. You will be far more effective by exposing the dirt to the masses than to a judge who is bound by the rule of law. We know you mean us no harm, but please for gods sake don't destroy the only chance we have to get out of this JW nightmare. We have no idea if it will help or hurt by sending her the info direct. Don't give the JW bastards even the slightest chance to weasel out of this.

Scott

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit