Jehovah's Witnesses asking woman to pay legal costs in sexual abuse lawsuit

by ignored_one 124 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Come on Colin ..... keep on stepping in it!!!!!!!

hawk

• outnfree
    outnfree
    "Watch Tower is not on any vendetta to try to collect costs from Vicki Boer," Stevenson said.

Obviously, Colin Stevenson has not been trained to deal with the media. This quote is priceless! He protested yet used a VERY negative word which will stick in the public's mind AND he confirmed their heartlessness.

Has anyone already asked victims of sexual abuse to write to Judge Malloy and explain to her that a) confronting one's abuser and b) discouraging "church" members from getting help from worldly mental health professionals truly IS Watchtower policy and that both of these were promulgated by their local elders in their personal cases? (Not being a victim, I don't feel I can author such a letter, but could others? HAVE others?)

Is there anything I CAN do?

outnfree

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Wooooohoooo!!!!!!

We are on CNEWS. Maybe the suns will pick up the story today.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/06/30/123687-cp.html

Outnfree .... yeah that quote was priceless and so was Vickis. He should be really pi$$ed this morning.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Outnfree,

DO NOT WRITE THE JUDGE!!!!!!

Let us deal with it and have patience. Scully can fill you in.

hawk

• obiwan
    obiwan

So scully, fill us in....please.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

BTTT

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

A quick note to apologise for my foul language in my above post. I'm really steamed over the Watchtower's sneaky actions here. After the hearings last week I called Vicki and told her wrongly that the Watchtower wouldn't be claiming costs, thinking it was good news. Now that it's turned out to be wrong, I feel bad about that, because Vicki's under enough pressure without needing artificial roller coasters.

Anyway, hopefully the media coverage will show a lot of people exactly what kind of organisation the Watchtower is.

Expatbrit

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Expat .... I was at the hearing too and so was Charles Mark. I heard the same as you and gave you instructions as to what to say to Vicki. You said exactly what I asked you to. I also repeated the same to her in the afternoon.

Don't worry about it man. We cleared everything up and all is well.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Wooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We made the National Post - 55 words ("Victim in sex abuse case asked to pay partial legal costs") (Circulation 243,000)

And we made the Montreal Gazette - headline is not impressive though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 284 Words!!!!! ("Watch Tower wants accuser to pay legal fees: Court ruled in favour of church regarding handling of sexual-abuse allegations") (Circulation 137,000)

God damn god damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will scan them as soon as possible

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

We're in one of the main Nova Scotia newspapers - The Chronical Herald (Circulation 91,688):

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2003/07/24/fCanada.html

Scroll down to the header (you are not allowed to see article unless you have a subscription

Jehovah's Witnesses asking woman to pay legal costs in sex abuse suit - Church denies being vindictive after elders accused of negligence

By The Canadian Press Toronto - A woman who received $5,000 in damages after accusing the Canadian wing of the Jehovah's Witnesses of negligence over their handling of allegations of sexual abuse is being asked to pay part of the religious group's $160,000 in legal costs in the case.

Vicki Boer, 32, who says she suffered sexual assaults between ages 11 and 14, sought $700,000 from the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Canada and three of its elders in a 1998 civil suit that claimed they were negligent and breached their duty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit